Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed the plastic or rubber trim on my rear windows is starting to split and crack. Presumably from UV rays. Anybody have a product to slow this down?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
I read somewhere that peanut butter, of all things, works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That could be a great "let's screw with the new Cruze owner and see if he'll post pictures of his ride plastered in peanut butter" joke right there. Can't say I've ever heard of that one. At least I could save money on air fresheners.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Peanut butter definitely won't work on that. And yes peanut butter does work on oxidized black trim because of the oils in it, however that's on faded trim, not cracked. The only resolution for that is replacement. I have a first generation Cruze (2011) and have lived as far north as the snow belt, and has far south as the beaches of Florida since owning it, and my trim is nowhere near like yours is. In fact it almost looks the same as when I got it maybe with some slight streaks in it. Your profile says you live in Virginia which is pretty stable climate. I just don't understand how that happened to your trim. I'd say it is defective but of course probably out of warranty.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I've actually been using an interior cleaner that claims it has UV Protection included. I use it inside the car and every time I wash the car I'll rub the exterior plastic pieces down, including the piece you have pictured. Mine is cracking like yours. Not quite as bad though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm definitely still under warranty as I only have 13k miles on the car. I'll have to read back through the paperwork and see if it may be covered under one of the warranties. That would certainly be the easiest solution. It's more of a cosmetic thing that functional at this point.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have used [URL="http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/adam These 2 products 100%. Adams VRT is great for easy to reach VRT (vinyl,rubber,tire). 303 is a fantastic product! It IS worth the price! Adams In and Out spray is also a great alternative for hard to reach things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts