Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
This is one guy that would pay extra for manual windows and even door locks. Why? 50 years of problems with these things. Manual windows are close to 100% reliable and even work with a dead battery. Have a ton of wires running between the door and the frame of the vehicle that are flexed every time that door is opened and closed.

And with a four door vehicle, you have four of these doors. That plastic ages, get stiff, in particular in sub zero weather and will break into two. So nothing works, and if away from your tool box, you are completely helplesss.

How about having to lower a window for a toll booth, sure in the heck can't open the door in those tight spaces. And during an ice rain, sub-zero weather, of a major thunderstorm, that window doesn't close anymore. Its only protection against the elements is that lower rubber weather strip that is exposed to the hot sun, dries up and doesn't seal anymore.

Use the cheapest possible brush type DC motor with no brush wear warning, so in consequence with a long drive, either get baked alive, frozen to death, or soaking wet. When you remove the door panel see a huge pile of rust and corrosion. Corroded terminals, broken wires, and to add to the mess with airbags, also had to mount speakers inside of the doors, more wires to break.

Use to have rain gutters on all vehicles that really protected against icy rains, if caught in one, with some vehicles, you can't even open the door. Happened with our 04 Cavalier, least the trunk could be opened and I could drop the rear seats from the trunk to crawl in, was tight and scary, but made it, so I could start the car and wait for the heat to defrost the doors. Stylists got rid of the rain gutters.

If you do have remotely controlled windows, how do you know if they are opened or closed? Maybe a thief is handy to clean out your car. But not much protection anyway, One quick jab with an ice pick would scatter these windows into a thousand pieces.

Put me on the list for manually controlled windows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts