Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I had a 2011 Cruze LT for over a year before it was bought back because of coolant issues. I got a 2013 LT 10 months ago. Right from the start the 2013 did not have a sun strip on top of the windshield like I had on the 2011. On top of that, cleaning this windshield is a pain because it gets scratches very easily. I had no scratches on the 2011 even after two harsh Canadian winters with all the scrapping and what not. My 2013 got at least 5 scratches over 10 months. Is there any windshield treatment that can be done to avoid these scratches? Using a microfiber cloth is not even safe as either the label or the edge of the cloth will scratch it in no time. It is a shame as I keep my cars in mint condition and I've never had this happen before ... The other windows and the rear windshield are fine.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yes the front Windshield is the worst out of all the cars I have owned. Its like they made it cheaper and left out that nice sun strip off to save a few more dollars. I use Rain-X when I can and it helps somewhat as it leaves a shine repellant behind.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Same issues with my '13 Sonic. Car has 5k on the clock, and I noticed the windshield looks like it has been in a sandstorm. You don't really see any effects until you drive at the setting sun. Then the whole thing looks horrible. I hardly use the wipers due to the once a month rainx treatment.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Same issues with my '13 Sonic. Car has 5k on the clock, and I noticed the windshield looks like it has been in a sandstorm. You don't really see any effects until you drive at the setting sun. Then the whole thing looks horrible. I hardly use the wipers due to the once a month rainx treatment.
Is the maker's name on the Sonic's windshield glass "FUYAO"?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,547 Posts
Hmm, maybe that's why mine isn't as horrible as some others claim. Mine was an early production 2012 (made in 2011) and the windshield is just fine. I also have the tint strip.

I saw that thread the other day and spent a long while driving into the sun. There's some specks here and there, but nothing ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
I don't have the shaded portion on mine.

Never seen another car without it in over 30 years.

·
10,695 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I drove an old 89 Plymouth Acclaim, 1995 Civic, 1996 Altima, 2008 Cobalt, 2011 Cruze and I never had this issue. I am a little picky but this is poor glass quality... probably from a cheap supplier. I'll keep my fingers crossed for next winter. Here is a photo with the manufacturer name FYUAO and you can also see some minor scratches 2013-10-02 18.41.07.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
My 2012 was built in January and has the tint strip, my windshield is also crap. Scratches super easy and has the shiny specs. I have scratches on the inside from cleaning with a microfiber cloth, outside from the plastic winter ice scraper.

At this point this is my biggest gripe with the car, never had another car with such a bad windshield.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Make a complaint to NHSTA about your "safety" concerns (visibility), because if enough people complain, GM will be asked by NHSTA to explain *why* the problem is happening. Doing nothing (ie: remaining silent) simply lets GM "get away" with their cheapened windshield costs. Remember, GM uses the "lowest" bidder!

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
^^im guessing thats an american site?

if they take complaints from up north, then sign me up
Yes, but the internet "...knows no boundries..." (it's a website entry setup).

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
Remember, GM uses the "lowest" bidder!
GM uses the lowest, most compliant, bidder at the time of tender.

Our free enterprise system is based on this principle.

But remember, suppliers, such as Castrol, have been known to cheapen their products after they've been registered.

If GM doesn't get negative feedback they'll never know that their suppliers cheapened out on them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts