Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is getting pretty ridiculous. I picked up my 2nd stone chip in 6 months! Both times on the freeway and I wasn't behind anyone; always a few seconds behind vehicles in lanes around me. First one was low on Driver's side, this latest one is eye level passenger side.

I drive my Saturn Ion QuadCoupe for 7 years and not one chip. Now I get this Cruze end of Feb and already have 2! Is the windshield angle or bumper or something just allow more of this type of thing to happen or what?

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
You're not alone. The windshield in the Cruze has proven to be very vulnerable to stone chips and scratches.

I got my first stone chip (hopefully last... knock on wood) only three months after buying it. It was from a logging truck going the opposite way on a two-lane road. The impact was fairly quiet, I was amazed it chipped the windshield. Bottom left side, just below the driver's line of sight.

There are a few threads going already regarding the poor stone chip and scratch resistance of the Cruze windshield.

My last three cars, two Saturn S-Series and a Corvette (still have the Vette) all had FAR tougher windshields than the Cruze. I've never before had a windshield that would get scratches in it from routine ice scraping. Now I put a cover on it at night so I don't have to scrape it in the morning.

The windshield and the sliding armrest are, by far, my two biggest complaints about this car. Thankfully your '14 has the updated locking armrest!

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Oh, another thing I MUST add: KEEP YOUR ORIGINAL WINDSHIELD AT ALL COSTS!

Get it repaired if at all possible, not replaced. Aftermarket windshields are very hit-and-miss for quality. I used to work for PPG Auto Glass, now sold and called PGW. A common practice when setting up the production line is to run production glass first and ARG (Aftermarket Replacement Glass) last. While the ARG glass is running the QC checks are all but non-existent, which means there could be edge form issues and distortions in the glass and nobody is checking for them.

My Mother had her winshield replaced in her Saturn ('02 SL2) and there's a terrible distortion right in the driver's line of sight.

On top of that, while cutting old windshields out it's quite common for the installers to scratch through the paint around the windshield perimeter. You won't know this when they're done the job since the window trim covers the area. You'll find out a few years later whan all the paint around your windshield starts to bubble and rust.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm definitely keeping the original windshield as long as I can. I had to replace the Saturn windshield due to an accident and the replacement is uneven on the outside top passenger side and a few spots where the wipers always now miss.

Reactions: Blue Angel

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Cruze windshields suck. They are also rock magnets. I will agree. Im driving my 3rd Cruze Eco, and all but the first one has had a star crack in it. The first car almost doesn't count. I only put 4300 miles on it. My 2014, Ive had since Jan 2nd, I just got the windshield replaced last week with a Pilkington @ 24,400 miles, so I drive a lot of Highway miles. $326 installed. I had no choice but to get it replaced. Apparently there was a star chip along the black frame above the OnStar box, and I didn't even see it. It didn't take long with it being 106º out to crack from the mirror to the wiper cowl in 2 places.

·
Registered
421 Posts
My job requires a lot of interstate travel. In the last 5 years I've had windshields replaced on a 2008 Pontiac Vibe, 2001 BMW 740i, 1998 Cadillac Deville. No problems yet with my CTD despite 2 audible hits. It would be less expensive to properly maintain roads and require skirting and lower speed limits for semis like the rest of the developed countries do. US pickups without flaps also throw a lot of rocks and should be avoided. By the way the $1200 BMW windshield was the most delicate, chipped and cracked 5 minutes later by a tiny rock so small I could barely hear the strike. I always pay up for OE glass after allowing a non OE glass on the Cadillac causing a whistle at speed.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Well, look at the name on the glass.

Reactions: Blue Angel

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Well, look at the name on the glass.
Bingo... imported from CHINA.

I hope the next Cruze goes back to a domestically sourced windshield. That alone is no guarantee of toughness, sure, but it would seem to be a step in the right direction.

I've had rocks hit the windshields in my other cars so loud they sounded like a hammer strike. No chips though.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,130 Posts
My job requires a lot of interstate travel. In the last 5 years I've had windshields replaced on a 2008 Pontiac Vibe, 2001 BMW 740i, 1998 Cadillac Deville. No problems yet with my CTD despite 2 audible hits. It would be less expensive to properly maintain roads and require skirting and lower speed limits for semis like the rest of the developed countries do. US pickups without flaps also throw a lot of rocks and should be avoided. By the way the $1200 BMW windshield was the most delicate, chipped and cracked 5 minutes later by a tiny rock so small I could barely hear the strike. I always pay up for OE glass after allowing a non OE glass on the Cadillac causing a whistle at speed.
I think our Diesels have a different windshield than the gas trims do - part of the extra sound-proofing they use attempting to keep the Diesel noises out of the cabin. I think that might make ours a bit tougher than the gas Cruze drivers. I know I've taken some hard hits with large projectiles and not even a hint of a blemish as a result. No matter what our windshield is like, it would seem like an improvement to me after 10 years in a Jeep. That straight-vertical windshield was the ultimate stone-magnet, even with a bull bar and bug deflector on the front of the hood.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Just checked the glass on my CTD, Fuyao brand. I wonder how many of the other CTD parts are Chinese sourced. The window sticker states US/Canadian 50%, major source of foreign parts Mexico. Engine-Germany, Transmission-Japan.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Oh, another thing I MUST add: KEEP YOUR ORIGINAL WINDSHIELD AT ALL COSTS!

Get it repaired if at all possible, not replaced. Aftermarket windshields are very hit-and-miss for quality. I used to work for PPG Auto Glass, now sold and called PGW. A common practice when setting up the production line is to run production glass first and ARG (Aftermarket Replacement Glass) last. While the ARG glass is running the QC checks are all but non-existent, which means there could be edge form issues and distortions in the glass and nobody is checking for them.

My Mother had her winshield replaced in her Saturn ('02 SL2) and there's a terrible distortion right in the driver's line of sight.

On top of that, while cutting old windshields out it's quite common for the installers to scratch through the paint around the windshield perimeter. You won't know this when they're done the job since the window trim covers the area. You'll find out a few years later whan all the paint around your windshield starts to bubble and rust.
I can vouch for the damage done by windshield repair places. My Montana's windshield frame was rusting out when I got the final windshield replaced.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I think all the North American Cruze have the same windshield. I only saw a single windshield "storage" rack on the Lordstown assembly line. It is possible that GM has changed the glass supplier and the 2014s in general have tougher windshields.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Just checked the glass on my CTD, Fuyao brand. I wonder how many of the other CTD parts are Chinese sourced. The window sticker states US/Canadian 50%, major source of foreign parts Mexico. Engine-Germany, Transmission-Japan.
The American Automoblie Labeling Act only requires manufacturers to identify sources by country if the content is 15% or greater from any given country. The current Cruze is 50% domestic content, 16% Mexican content, and everything else is less than 15%. This is the same breakdown for both gas and diesel. Therefore, Chinese content could be upwards of 14%, but I'd bet it's not that great.

Part 583 American Automobile Labeling Act (AALA) Reports | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

·
10,712 Posts
Yep I also checked the Diesels against the Eco and LS and none of the windows are marked different from the other trims. Usually acoustic windows are marked acoustic like this.

or this

Anyone have a build sheet for their Diesel with these acoustic windows installed? Was the Verano windshield the same shape as it's windshield and front side glass is suppose to be laminated?

I'll snag a pic later, but my back side glass somehow has a cut/slash in it big enough to get a fingernail in it.

I think all the North American Cruze have the same windshield. I only saw a single windshield "storage" rack on the Lordstown assembly line. It is possible that GM has changed the glass supplier and the 2014s in general have tougher windshields.
I meant to ask this but forgot to when we were there. we were in and out that station so fast.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
I got my first chip on the way back from Lordstown this year. Was behind a truck, but I think from the angle it came from, it had to come from another vehicle. It was a big one, not only chipped it a little, but put a small crack in it. Not sure if I should do anything about it. Hasn't gotten any worse since.

The same rock/thing bounced about an inch up put another small chip before flying off the car. Better there than the paint. This is all down on the driver's side, just above the wiper.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts