Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently stationed in the middle of Texas in San Angelo, I am having my Cruze brought here from NC so I can have it during the remaining months of my stay. It gets very hot here, since I am use to NC weather I never really had a need for a sun shade in my car, (plus I had a garage to keep it in) but since I'm here it will have to stay out in the blazing heat 24/7. Whats a good sun shade I should buy to not only keep my car relatively cooler than it would be without, but also protect my dashboard and leather from the blazing suns heat?

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
That one or look into Weathertech, on their site they sell a custom cut sun shade for the Cruze too, and since it's weathertech I'm sure the quality is high

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Hate to revive an old thread but thought with warmer weather approaching this might be helpful to others. I have bought two different cheap windshield sunshades that were suppose to fit the cruze, however both have been a bit too narrow and not tall enough. Allot of the comments on the UVS100 on amazon link above seems others keep finding the same problem.

Decided even though it was allot of money to buy the covercraft UVS100, all I can say is wow this is a much higher quality product than any of the previous sun shades I have bought. Made in the USA and has a US patent on their heat-shield technology. There is a 1/4-1/2 inch gap on each edge and a larger one around the mirror, overall it is covering about 98% of the window.
Vehicle Car Family car Sunroof

Vehicle Car Windshield Glass Auto part

Automotive exterior Windshield Glass Auto part Daylighting

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Window vents are practically a necessity, so you can crack all four windows down in case it rains.

Black was the color of choice for my 88 Supra, but learned the hard way, least I could open those two wide doors and the hatch to cool it down. Other vehicles since then, including the Cruze have been white with a light colored interior, what a huge difference.

Thought the roof AC on my motorhome was poor, but passed all the vent temp specs. Problem was that huge windshield in the front, so when camping, park away from that setting sun. Well up here, morning sun isn't bad, but afternoon into the evening, that is when it really gets hot.

What color is your Cruze?

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
What color is your Cruze?
My cruze is blue granite metallic(light blue/grey). Problem is I have a black interior so any time sitting in the sun at I'm getting into a 110F+ degree car. I have weathertech vent visors on all 4 windows so I can let out some of that heat, but without a good front window shade the dash still gets to 100F+ easily.

When the dash is so hot, takes a 15 minute drive with the AC on full blast just to cool off the inside. With the shade installed and the vents on all 4 windows I can get into the car and have a cool car in under 5 minutes.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,526 Posts
My cruze is blue granite metallic(light blue/grey). Problem is I have a black interior so any time sitting in the sun at I'm getting into a 110F+ degree car. I have weathertech vent visors on all 4 windows so I can let out some of that heat, but without a good front window shade the dash still gets to 100F+ easily.

When the dash is so hot, takes a 15 minute drive with the AC on full blast just to cool off the inside. With the shade installed and the vents on all 4 windows I can get into the car and have a cool car in under 5 minutes.
Try a black one :)

I'll have to take a look at this sunshade - mines a cheap 2 parter that doesn't insulate well, although it does fit well.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Hate to revive an old thread but thought with warmer weather approaching this might be helpful to others. I have bought two different cheap windshield sunshades that were suppose to fit the cruze, however both have been a bit too narrow and not tall enough. Allot of the comments on the UVS100 on amazon link above seems others keep finding the same problem.

Decided even though it was allot of money to buy the covercraft UVS100, all I can say is wow this is a much higher quality product than any of the previous sun shades I have bought. Made in the USA and has a US patent on their heat-shield technology. There is a 1/4-1/2 inch gap on each edge and a larger one around the mirror, overall it is covering about 98% of the window.
View attachment 147081
View attachment 147089

View attachment 147097
Nice! That's the exact one I have. I love it :D

Sent with iLove 6.0

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts

Interesting comment on the dash temperature - that would also explain some of the high forced air temps I get.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts

View attachment 147081
View attachment 147089

View attachment 147097
Got a link to this sunscreen? With a black car I do want one but haven't found one that fits properly.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
windscreens help but I dont think a whole lot because you are just reflecting the heat between the screen and the windshield so you get a pocket of heat and your windshield gets hotter because now its getting twice the IR.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
windscreens help but I dont think a whole lot because you are just reflecting the heat between the screen and the windshield so you get a pocket of heat and your windshield gets hotter because now its getting twice the IR.
But a hot windshield is cooled by the passing breeze. And the hot air can be gotten rid of easily. If your dash gets hot, the A/C is going to be worthless.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I am not sold on them and never will be. I remember my buddies mom had a blue mercury version of the taurs in the 80s and she always used it, we came out of hershey park for lunch and she took it down and let us in and I remember that car being that hottest thing I have ever been in to this day.... I cant still feel the heat lol.

a. you are assuming a breeze
b. glass takes for ever to transfer heat
c. you cant use it while you are driving

IMO put it on the outside of the windshield and it will work fantastic!

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
That is the problem with the poor fitting ones that fold I had with the cruze. As soon as one of those fold collapses in all that heat dumps into the interior. The UVS 100 is made of a stiff material and fits so well there is less than a inch between the windshield and the heat shield. Besides being reflective it has allot more insulating value than those cheap ones, It weights 2.9lbs!

This fits so good you don't even need to flip down the visors to hold in place.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
The only way to go. I have the CoverCraft one, as well. Love it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.