Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every body knows that one guy. Whose out there every **** Friday whether it be sunny and 70 or raining, washing the car. I'm that guy, I'm a fanatic about my silver ice metallic Cruze, I love the way this car looks and rides and am all for anything to keep it that way.

That, in junction with my recent purchase of an '04 ranger that I also love for different reasons, and will take the Cruze off insurance for mid December to mid February or longer if I can, made me decide to get a car cover for the Cruze, I barely drive it (about 14 miles a week) and it sits there getting dirty and micro scratched and plastic faded and what not.

So one question is there anything I should do to store my car for the two and a half months or so? Battery tender (finicky electrical systems and the original battery lol) fuel stabilizer?

My issue with the cover is that the cover being breathable, and fabric as to not scratch the paint, holds water, it soaks actually. I don't like this because the car will still get wet and dirty and I want to preserve and extend the life naturally as best I can, and with this holding water and eventually ice against my car through the winter, I was thinking maybe I could put the cover (tie that down tight so it doesn't move o get blown by the winter storm winds, then a large blanket to act as a buffer for the final, large tarp that I'll also tie the holy **** out of that will not allow any water to get into my joints and dirty my paint..

Does anyone have a better idea ? I started to think about a portable garage I could set up for the cold month for the Cruze and my wife's brand new car, but kind of pricy, is there anything wrong or potentially hazardous about this idea?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I will assume there is not even a carport available to you.

If it has to sit outside, do not cover it.....you will do far more damage with a cover.
As you said, dust and debris still get blown under it and onto the finish. The cover will move, ever so slightly or more on windy days, grinding the debris into the finish. It also becomes a terrarium of sorts and will become a corrosion generator.
Just let it sit.....same as it did on a dealer lot...throw some towels on the package shelf over the seat back to slow fading and the same for the dash.
Don't bother with a fuel stabilizer......your fuel system is sealed so the fuel will not 'sour'. Park it with the tank filled to prevent moisture accumulation from temperature changes.
Disconnect the negative battery terminal so that parasitic draw is eliminated and don't run the car unless you intend to drive it at least 30 minutes.......otherwise, leave it alone.
Car covers work great.....inside a building, to keep it dust free and act as a buffer from things being moved around it, preventing damage.

Outdoor covers are for one night stands.....like you are showing the car, but had to drive it to the event and spend the night. That's when you cover it, after cleaning from the trip.

Don't wash it either.....a washed, undriven car, will hold water in the various seams and low spots......looks clean but if you listen you can almost hear it corroding.

Come spring, reconnect the battery, go put air in the tires, and take it home and wash it......drive it.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
If I were not going to drive for 2-3 months I would just find indoor storeage and spend a little money and clean inside and outside super well before putting the car in storeage and disconnect the battery, have car full of gas. And if you like cover it with a soft sheet and forget about it. I had a camaro ss convertible I owned for 12 years and I stored it in my garage with a California car cover and wow it was always clean. I changed oil and any fluids before storeage. Worth it. Leaving it sit out and then not driving it would be my least attractive option.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will assume there is not even a carport available to you.

If it has to sit outside, do not cover it.....you will do far more damage with a cover.
As you said, dust and debris still get blown under it and onto the finish. The cover will move, ever so slightly or more on windy days, grinding the debris into the finish. It also becomes a terrarium of sorts and will become a corrosion generator.
Just let it sit.....same as it did on a dealer lot...throw some towels on the package shelf over the seat back to slow fading and the same for the dash.
Don't bother with a fuel stabilizer......your fuel system is sealed so the fuel will not 'sour'. Park it with the tank filled to prevent moisture accumulation from temperature changes.
Disconnect the negative battery terminal so that parasitic draw is eliminated and don't run the car unless you intend to drive it at least 30 minutes.......otherwise, leave it alone.
Car covers work great.....inside a building, to keep it dust free and act as a buffer from things being moved around it, preventing damage.

Outdoor covers are for one night stands.....like you are showing the car, but had to drive it to the event and spend the night. That's when you cover it, after cleaning from the trip.

Don't wash it either.....a washed, undriven car, will hold water in the various seams and low spots......looks clean but if you listen you can almost hear it corroding.

Come spring, reconnect the battery, go put air in the tires, and take it home and wash it......drive it.

Rob
If I were not going to drive for 2-3 months I would just find indoor storeage and spend a little money and clean inside and outside super well before putting the car in storeage and disconnect the battery, have car full of gas. And if you like cover it with a soft sheet and forget about it. I had a camaro ss convertible I owned for 12 years and I stored it in my garage with a California car cover and wow it was always clean. I changed oil and any fluids before storeage. Worth it. Leaving it sit out and then not driving it would be my least attractive option.

Sounds like I may want to look into one of those portable garages, from what I can tell it's cheaper than paying a car garage to take it and it'll prevent what I want it to for about $100 one time purchase, not to bad at all

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Is it going to be safe to keep the battery completely disconnected for 2 + months?

Safe as well as possible battery life extension.

The safe aspect eliminates the potential of a electrical fire if a relay or anything fails (shorts) while in storage.

Because it is disconnected (just the negative terminal is fine) the battery does not experience the parasitic draw that all the various memories (radio/ecm/bcm/tcm/abs) require. Also, as a battery discharges, due to this draw, the battery acid freeze point rises.....a dead battery will freeze at 32f........a charged battery can tolerate about -50f.

Rob

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I agree with Robby's comment about not covering it long term if it's outside. The covers hold water, and flap in the wind.

I would not only disconnect the negative terminal, I'd pull the entire battery and store on a block of wood in an area that will remain above freezing.

As a battery discharges the water and the acid can separate. Temperatures <32F can cause the case to crack. I have a 6 year old battery connected in a truck that is stored in a garage for Minnesota winters. I use a battery tender Jr on it.

I just pulled the battery this year for alternator issues, and it tested at it's rated 800 CCA. I really like the Battery Tender products.

I also purchased one of the CTEK charger/maintainers. My reviews of that are below:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/17-o...ntainer-charger-ctek-vs-battery-tender-2.html

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with Robby's comment about not covering it long term if it's outside. The covers hold water, and flap in the wind.

I would not only disconnect the negative terminal, I'd pull the entire battery and store on a block of wood in an area that will remain above freezing.

As a battery discharges the water and the acid can separate. Temperatures <32F can cause the case to crack. I have a 6 year old battery connected in a truck that is stored in a garage for Minnesota winters. I use a battery tender Jr on it.

I just pulled the battery this year for alternator issues, and it tested at it's rated 800 CCA. I really like the Battery Tender products.

I also purchased one of the CTEK charger/maintainers. My reviews of that are below:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/17-o...ntainer-charger-ctek-vs-battery-tender-2.html
I through a tarp on top of a cover on an impala once and tied it down real tight, I had no issues, in gonna go the same to. Can afford one of those portable garages, I took the entire batter out of the car and put it in the basement for now but just got a little worried about the computer having issue with not being on while it's stored

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.