Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question 1

How much tread depth do you consider good / safe for winter driving? The Assurance Authority tires the previous owner of my vehicle had didn't wear evenly (overinflated hypermiler?), so right now I have about 5/32 on the outer, and 3/32", maybe 4/32" on the inner. I thought I might be able to squeeze the winter out of them, but I'm having second thoughts now, and the tires are not very good anyway. I live in Nebraska, so while we don't get a ton of snow depth, we do get ice, slush, and compacted snow that hangs around for weeks on secondary streets.

Question 2
What tires to get? I started doing a little research, and did use the search button here for recent threads :th_salute:

-Option 1 - Kumho Solus TA71, $370 through tirebuyer installed (after rebate)
-Option 2 - Continental PureContact - $500 through tirebuyer installed (after rebate)
-Option 3 - Michelin Premier A/S - $720 through Sam's Club installed + free road hazard + free rotations
-Option 4 - Pirelli Cinturato P7 through TireRack, $700 installed + free road hazard

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Anything below 4/32" is insufficient for winter driving, regardless of tire.

Over inflation of radial tires, as long as it's not above the sidewall max PSI, will not cause uneven wear like you are describing. What will cause it is insufficient tire rotations. Front tires wear faster on the edges and rear tires faster in the middle. My wife's Solara is in the same situation and I know her tires have never been inflated past 35 PSI (door placard is 32 and tire sidewall is 44). Over inflation is definitely not the reason for her uneven tire wear.

I'm looking at the Continental PureContact tires for her - I want the best winter traction I can get for the occasional snow and ice we receive in Denver without sacrificing overall performance too much. I run the Pirelli Cinturato P7s on my Cruze ECO MT and put them on my son's LS MT this past summer.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Over inflation of radial tires, as long as it's not above the sidewall max PSI, will not cause uneven wear like you are describing. What will cause it is insufficient tire rotations. Front tires wear faster on the edges and rear tires faster in the middle. My wife's Solara is in the same situation and I know her tires have never been inflated past 35 PSI (door placard is 32 and tire sidewall is 44). Over inflation is definitely not the reason for her uneven tire wear.
That makes sense looking at the current wear pattern since I have only rotated them once in 8K, and I have no idea if the PO did. At any rate, they are not very good tires outside of price and apparently very long life.

I wish tirebuyer sold Pirelli...to be honest, $700 is probably not in the budget at the moment. The ProContact tires have tons of positive reviews with some negative notes on road noise, while the TA71 is a new tire that has limited positive reviews, but Kumho can be hit or miss with wear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts