Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I think my mechanic failed to check the oil line when he replaced the turbo. I drove 50 miles to work, poor power, and now noise. Is it wiped in 50 miles?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YES! Brand new turbo wiped. 2012. Not a dealership. Week+ backlog at my dealer. Plus, at 186k, I really didn't want to spend what the dealer wanted. For $475 the Dorman was a great turbo kit. Came with everything your need for the install. $475. I don't have a garage or I would have done the job myself. I even told him to get a new oil line if there was any doubt. Lesson: no matter how good of a mechanic he is (this guy is a pro. it's his business), don't let a friend work on your car. I'll just smile and pretend the money was a loan to a friend or my kids that I know I will never see again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surprise! New shop says the oil line was fine! So WTF? I have been running Mobil 1 since day one, so I was a bit surprised in the first place. You can hit it with a blow torch and it won't even gel. I have heard nothing bad about the Dorman, so ???

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Sometimes you try and save a dollar and it's costs hundreds

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Sometimes you try and save a dollar and it's costs hundreds
As my wife would say: Sometimes you have to spend a little money to save a little money.

Reactions: IndyDiesel

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
After I had an EGR issue, I ran battery down, but now seems fine, I drive about 90 mikes each way to work, so will just drive it for now.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Original Poster-

So the Dorman is dead? What did the second shop end up finding?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, dead. Second shop says it was a clean install and the oil line was fine. Somehow the turbo was mixing coolant and oil. Don't know if after the failure or what caused the failure. If coolant and oil were competing for the same space, pressure says the coolant wins.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, after a month and a half I'm back on the road. Had to get my money back on the Dorman because suddenly the Dorman turbo was out of stock EVERYWHERE with at least a month to restock. That kind of makes me think there was a bad lot out there. MY new kit came with the new oil line so it got replaced anyway. New turbo is fine, but with a nice new fully functioning turbo I am experiencing some of the moderate acceleration jerk that others have complained about. I should have just had the new shop do plugs while they had it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Plugs on the 1.4T require a spark plug socket, six inch extension, ratchet, and a torx bit or screwdriver (dunno which size). Very easy, especially with the DIY's available for guidance. This and an oil change should be within the capability of anyone that personally passes judgement on their mechanic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts