Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have issues with their Gen 1 Cruze wipers? Particularly on the drivers side blade, my blade does not run smooth across the windshield. It's like it skips/judders.

I have tried numerous wiper blades, including styles and brands, and they all seem to have issues. The ones that seem to work best are the stock wiper blades.

I also have tried cleaning the windshield with numerous glass cleaners, and Rain-X xtreme clean to remove any wax/ Rain-x. Waxing the windshield or adding rain-x does not help either.

I would say that the problem seems to be getting worse. It's almost like the wipers aren't moving fast enough. The problem does seem to get much better (if not dissapear) on the highest wiper speed setting.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm starting to wonder if the wiper linkage or motor is having issues.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
I bought the cheapest blades possible from Trico and they work fine. I remember when I bought my first and last Subaru and it did this from day one. The Service Manager told me I voided my New Car Warranty by using Rain-X, after all it was Florida?

I bet its the Washer motor, lift up the blade, turn the wipers on and see if you can notice any problems with the motor as described?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Anyone have any ideas? I'm starting to wonder if the wiper linkage or motor is having issues.
While it could be under the cowl, before you tear into it, try a new wiper arm. Maybe the spring in the old one is weak.

I recently had one skipping on the up stroke and was worried it may be in the linkage, but a new wiper blade fixed it (knock wood). My fear, judging from how it looked when it was skipping, was that there was too much slop in the linkage which was contributing to the skipping. But I got lucky with just a new blade.

For reference, a new wiper arm at gmpartsdirect.com is less than 20 bucks (plus shipping). (They were out of stock at Rockauto .)

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-p...9Y3J1emUmeT0yMDEzJnQ9bHMmZT0xLThsLWw0LWZsZXg=

HTH.

Doug

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
This was a constant freaking battle with my Gen 1, and it pissed me off to no end.

I tried tons of things (clay bar the windshield, polish the windshield, Rain-X, remove Rain-X, 238947237894237847892 sets of different wipers), and this crap continued even after the windshield cracked and I had to have a new one installed, but ultimately it came down to:
-Don't use Rain-X wipers
-Don't use Rain-X FLUID (it wears off and starts to create uneven grabby spots on the windshield that cause judder)
-The wiper transmission is probably failing or the linkage needs to be lubricated (somewhat common on the Cruze).

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While it could be under the cowl, before you tear into it, try a new wiper arm. Maybe the spring in the old one is weak.

I recently had one skipping on the up stroke and was worried it may be in the linkage, but a new wiper blade fixed it (knock wood). My fear, judging from how it looked when it was skipping, was that there was too much slop in the linkage which was contributing to the skipping. But I got lucky with just a new blade.

For reference, a new wiper arm at gmpartsdirect.com is less than 20 bucks (plus shipping). (They were out of stock at Rockauto .)

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-p...9Y3J1emUmeT0yMDEzJnQ9bHMmZT0xLThsLWw0LWZsZXg=

HTH.

Doug

Thanks for the link! I might try replacing the arm. GM uses such a flimsy wiper arm on the Cruze. Our other cars, especially the Toyota, have way beefier wiper arms. I'm sure all the years of lifting it to clear ice and snow haven't helped.

Reactions: plano-doug

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This was a constant freaking battle with my Gen 1, and it pissed me off to no end.

I tried tons of things (clay bar the windshield, polish the windshield, Rain-X, remove Rain-X, 238947237894237847892 sets of different wipers), and this crap continued even after the windshield cracked and I had to have a new one installed, but ultimately it came down to:
-Don't use Rain-X wipers
-Don't use Rain-X FLUID (it wears off and starts to create uneven grabby spots on the windshield that cause judder)
-The wiper transmission is probably failing or the linkage needs to be lubricated (somewhat common on the Cruze).
That's very interesting that the second windshield still did it. I learned the hard way about all the Rain-X stuff. I had to end up using a pump to clear out all the Rain-X washer fluid. The Rain- X wiper blades also sucked every time I tried them. Last time I returned them before I even left the parking lot.

Right now I'm using Trico Neoform wipers. They are coated with Teflon which seemed to help a bit.

Today I cleaned the windshield with 91 percent alcohol and Windex with vinegar. If this doesn't help I may look into the wiper transmission.

It sounds like the entire wiper assembly in the Cruze is just poorly designed. The wipers on my sisters 2010 Malibu work WAY better. The low setting on that car is like high on the Cruze.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts