Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about 5 months or so, and quoting State Code regarding :"Bait & Switch" and "False Advertising" laws, I "think" I have two dealers willing to part with a ECO & Manual Tranny for $20,314 "Out-the-Door" including all the Doc fees TTT etc

This dealer is about an hour away, another one is 7 hrs and is offering the OTD price @ $20,040, I figure fuel costs would eat up the near $300 savings.

Anyway, in the am, to the bank I go, AFTER confirming the final figure with the nearby dealer, and, crossing fingers and toes, maybe just maybe I'll stop spending $400+ per month on fuel.

Wish another "motor-head" who appreciates GM's half-hearted attempt to "allow" us, the untouchables of the caste system to have something almost affordable to drive. :)

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Have a dealer like that in Wausau, advertising over 30 new Cruze's in stock at the lowest prices. Not one of those was the kind I was after, but did get a quote and knew for a fact their service really sucked. But showed that quote to a local dealer, **** the general manager lives a block away, can you even come close to this? He said not only close, but I will beat it by a couple of hundred bucks.

Don't know what kind of game my GM card is playing, have the old card with a $4,268 credit. Just a week after I purchased my Cruze, they sent me a letter telling me if I were to purchase a new Cruze with an extra $500.00 bonus, even said I would get $4,768 and some cents off that purchase. And that's not on MSRP price, its off the best dealers price.

Did call my dealer on that, doesn't hurt to ask but that answer always hurt, sorry, Nick, nothing I can do for you. But can sell you another Cruze and give you another 500 bucks off that.

With a USB problem, took my car right it, and they fixed it dropping everything else. Now that is great service. That dealer in Wausau, just get a dey all do dat response.

·
Registered
131 Posts
After about 5 months or so, and quoting State Code regarding :"Bait & Switch" and "False Advertising" laws, I "think" I have two dealers willing to part with a ECO & Manual Tranny for $20,314 "Out-the-Door" including all the Doc fees TTT etc

This dealer is about an hour away, another one is 7 hrs and is offering the OTD price @ $20,040, I figure fuel costs would eat up the near $300 savings.

Anyway, in the am, to the bank I go, AFTER confirming the final figure with the nearby dealer, and, crossing fingers and toes, maybe just maybe I'll stop spending $400+ per month on fuel.

Wish another "motor-head" who appreciates GM's half-hearted attempt to "allow" us, the untouchables of the caste system to have something almost affordable to drive. :)
You really are lucky. The dealer I bought from told me there is "NO NEGOTIATION ON NEW CARS! I only make $984 on a new Cruze so I have no 'room' to deal." He wouldn't deal on the trade either.
I wanted the car, it was only $250, so I bought. I filled out the Customer Satisfaction Survey with "less than satisfied" and the dealer has basically told me to $%#& off. He says I have cost his dealership a bonus from GM because I did not answer the survey as "completely satisfied". He said he would have let me walk away rather than negotiating over a lousy $250! Go figure.
SO the salesman is pissed at me, the president of the dealership is pissed at me, the service department sure will be and I think since I cost them a bonus I had better take my car to another dealer an hours drive away or I will incur further wrath.
MY BAD! I should have walked.
I am happy for you that you found a reasonable dealer who will do what their name implys; DEAL!

·
Registered
689 Posts
If anyone here was in the US Armed Forces and has USAA for their car insurance they offer a super low price that dealers will accept and a $750 rebate.

I paid $19,400 OTD for my 2012 Cruze 2LT RS 6m w/o moonroof.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...how many bad apples before you found that good apple?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dealers not wanting to deal is the entire reason I dont buy new. My wifes 2011 LTZ/RS with 8k on the odo only cost me $20400 OTD. Why take the huge hit on a new car because it has only a few miles on it?

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Dealers not wanting to deal is the entire reason I dont buy new. My wifes 2011 LTZ/RS with 8k on the odo only cost me $20400 OTD. Why take the huge hit on a new car because it has only a few miles on it?
Because if you have to finance, the new car is 2.9% vs 5.9% on the used car, which at that price point is well over $1800 in the end, closing the gap a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Every car ive ever bought has been brand new I love my cruze eco otd I only paid a little over 18000 brand new no miles but I have a gm discount plus my trade in I love buying new cars plus it was special order so no one touched it ecxept the dealership

Sent from my R800x using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
58 Posts
Because if you have to finance, the new car is 2.9% vs 5.9% on the new car, which at that price point is well over $1800 in the end, closing the gap a bit.
I financed thru my credit union at 3.25%. Any new car you buy depreciates the moment you drive off the lot. The dealers are more willing to negotiate on a preowned vehicle.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
I financed thru my credit union at 3.25%. Any new car you buy depreciates the moment you drive off the lot. The dealers are more willing to negotiate on a preowned vehicle.
The difference for me was $19000 for the brand new one (before negotiation), or $16,500 for the used one, both Cruze Ecos, identically optioned. I'm not a member of a credit union unfortunately. In the end, the difference of nearly $2000 on interest at the end of the 5 year period makes the used car a mere $500-$1000 cheaper. Both, as it seems, can be negotiated.

If you can get a great rate through a credit union, that would be considered more of an exception to this scenario than the norm.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You really are lucky. The dealer I bought from told me there is "NO NEGOTIATION ON NEW CARS! I only make $984 on a new Cruze so I have no 'room' to deal."
Lawyers and Car Salesmen all go to the same school, "University of Liars"

I worked at a Dodge & Datsun dealer,, waaaaay back when Nissan's were called Datsun, I know how the game is played.
There is much less markup, percentage wise now than then, still we have to remember the Dealership has to make a decent profit to keep the doors open.

My complaint is the LIE, don't tell me how much you're making on the car, just give me the OTD price and I'll decide if I wish to play!

BTW, I DID get the ECO and it's great so far !!!

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
...how many bad apples before you found that good apple?
Trips to dealerships ,, errr, I dunno, too many to make an accurate count.
Total dealers contacted, maybe 12-15, though most attempts to procure an ECO was via E-Mail.

My "excuse" for INSISTING on using e-mail instead of the phone was "that I worked night shift for so many years, now that I'm retired, I sleep all day and don't plug in the phone until "after-hours" for most businesses"

The "Real" reason is so I could capture Auto-Trader ads, the VIN and Stock numbers.
Grab the conversations, "OTD" price quotes and the ones done via "pop-up" by using PrintKey Screen Capture utility.

This allowed me to grab the "Bait & Switch" crooks and in one case, I have a valid case for pursuing litigation which according to the state code, allows me to receive funds for their illegal actions.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hope you have a good experience....
I really did, the dealership is large and clean, the salespeople there that I observed were "available" but not "starving" or pushy..

My salesman had to leave at Noon, when I told him I had to go to the bank and get a cashiers check, he said "We'll take your personal check"

I told him there's not enough funds to cover the car, he said "Nobody keeps 20 grand in their checking account, we'll hold it till you say it's OK"

So I arrive exactly at 11:00, when I said I'd be there, signed a few papers, plunked down 50 $100 bills and wrote a check for the balance.
Confirmed that the check was "No-Good" until Thursday next week..

In about an hour, I'm off.

They said they filled it up, the gauge shows One bar Below Full, [**** U-Haul] I think to myself.
Pulling over, I select Amoco 93 octane, and it takes exactly ONE-HALF-GALLON.
A mile later, it's on full again,

WOW, a ACCURATE fUEL Gauge,,

Call the Pope, it's a MIRACLE!

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

DrVette,
I am glad to hear that you found a dealership that is willing to work with you. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me; I am happy to assist you in any way that I can.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
I got a dealer demo, 2011 LTZ with 1,700 miles on the dash. Never owned, but I paid $24,000 OTD, MSRP was $24,900. The 2012s were just getting off the lot but I was in a rush to get a car due to other concerns. I got 2.9% financing vs. a 5.9% available for 2012 (which did not have LTZ RS out yet). I don't know if I got ripped off but the dealer wanted to only take off $300 off the MSRP and we laughed him down to $24,000

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I bought the wifes LTZ/RS, I actually never saw the car in person. I had only looked at pictures on the dealers website. I called, made an offer and they accepted it the next day. I also told the dealer I would not drive to the dealship since it was 80 miles away and they would need to deliver the car to me. That Friday afternoon, the salesman drove to my house and we completed the paperwork at my kitchen table. Needless to say, it was the easiest car purchase Ive ever had.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought a 2012 eco 6mt via a newpaper ad and I will never buy another new car without an ad price. $16799 something like $3200 off msrp. Hate to tell you this but at the moment everyone is getting their tax returns and it is a terrible time to buy a new car.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
What my wife and I pay in direct and indirect taxes, could afford to buy a new car every year. Both of my wife and me can write off some of it with ligament business expense keeping full records at a whole 56 cents per mile. One good reason to buy a Cruze, can almost break even, couldn't do that with a new Cadillac or a Silverado. With a W-2 or even a 1099 can't deduct any transportation expenses to and from work or school. But if we were a CEO with a 47 million buck Gulfstream, could deduct all of that plus operating expenses.

Our percentage of business use is too small to justify adding up depreciation, maintenance, insurance and fuel cost. But we save a couple of bucks.

Cash doesn't seem to have the power it once had in a new car purchase, they want you to buy on credit so they can nail your further. But I hate going in debt, even when younger, took a year off from work when it was easy to find another job and built my own home. Still needed a loan, but paid it off in two years. Back than, that saved me all that contractor, labor, and, realtor cost, and paying off over three times the value of your home.

Was hit hard a few years back with an unexpected hostile takeover with car loans, said never again, and the economy is even worse today. So strictly cash, already opened a bank account and making payments to ourselves for our next car purchase. But getting ripped off their by our government. Had to pay taxes on that 1% interest we earned with a government reported inflation rate of 3.5%. We sure have crooks running "OUR" country.

If that isn't bad enough, FICA deductions are post tax, you don't that huge amount of money withdrawn from your paycheck, you are paying taxes on top of those FICA mandatory deductions. If that isn't bad enough, had to pay income taxes on that measly SS check and even on that Medicare Part B deduction, taxes on 85% of that gross income. We are really getting screwed.

We know we can lose our jobs at any time, but will still need transportation, don't want to be concerned about a loan company coming over to reprocess your only means of transportation, so with me, strictly cash.

When I was only 12 years old, my dad left my mom, she couldn't keep up with the house payments, sheriff came over and hauled all of our junk on the street and locked the door. That was one **** of an experience for a kid to go through.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought my ECO, sight-unseen. Upon arrival and starting the paperwork, the salesman asked if I wanted to test drive it.. NOPE, I said..

I'd already driven a LS w/1.8L so I knew the basic vehicle feel..

The clutch on my ECO is double the pedal pressure of the LS, dunno if it is from the bad clutches of the 2011 ECO's or what.

I got so sick of dealers telling me the Cruze only has $XXX.00 of profit, hold-back etc.
This is none of my concern, simply tell me the bottom line.

Finally a dealer, and local at that, gave me a bottom line OTD price I was willing to deal with.

To the guy who got a NEW Cruze ECO for $16, something, good for you, every ad in the Auto-Trader in the $16-17K range turned to be a "Bait & Switch" ploy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts