Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the day in the city, everything was fine!

On my way home my thermostat rocketed to Max and my 'AC off due to overheating engine' warning came on... And my AC was off.

So I pulled over, car cooled off, was fine for a few more minutes and then as I was trying to pull off it started smoking/leaking coolant.

So I'm currently being towed back to the dealership. Fingers crossed that its an electronics fix.

It's a 2012 LS AT. No issues, oil changed at 5k, and oil life monitor was at 40% and I still had 3k to go before next oil change.

Here's hoping my girl's okay :'(

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Wow! Sorry to hear that. Please let us know how she's doing!

I'm telling you the truth officer! I wasn't speeding but I sure passed a whole bunch of people who were!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I don't think it's electrical. Sounds like a classic coolant leak. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think it's electrical. Sounds like a classic coolant leak. Good luck and keep us posted.
The only reason why I don't think it's coolant is that I just checked it the other day/there's none in my garage.

Unfortunately my car is in the shop but they are closed until Tuesday due to Canadian thanksgiving. Welp... Happy thanksgiving?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I had a coolant like break in my Montana. It only took about a mile of driving to lose all the coolant. The coolant system is under pressure so any leak will grow and a major leak can drain the system in just a minute or two.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving to all Canadians on this forum.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Obermd!

So, now I'm home safe and sound while the car shall sit at the dealership for the next few days. The Oil Life Monitor now being at 0% is because (well at least to my understanding) the car was in overheating protection mode.

Well at least I know why it went from 40%-0%. Now when I got to the dealership I had to check the OD, so while doing that I found out my stabilitrak needs to be serviced as well now. There's still coolant in the tank so I'm still not sure about that, but we shall see. I'm anxiously awaiting to see what will come of it. First time I've ever had an issue too. Poor Cruze :(

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
An engine overheat will kill the oil life so the 0% showing there is a good thing. Hopefully it's all related and there's only one problem. Depending on the location of a leak you may still see coolant in the tank. The leak I had was at the bottom of the engine bay so I didn't have any coolant left. A leak at the top will leave coolant in the tank but not enough to keep the engine cool. You had steam coming out of your engine bay so you definitely had a leak. The only question is where.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, that's definitely a start! My guess then is that it would be at the top. It's actually funny, I've been mentioning to my girlfriend that my car smelled 'sweet/chemically' but I figured it was the copious amounts of cleaning I do to it all the time.

However, after it was steaming, the coolant was boiling/fizzing out the top. My guess then is that it'd be at that point. It's a little terrifying to see your car 'bleeding' on the main highway on a long weekend.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Spent the day in the city, everything was fine!

On my way home my thermostat rocketed to Max and my 'AC off due to overheating engine' warning came on... And my AC was off.

So I pulled over, car cooled off, was fine for a few more minutes and then as I was trying to pull off it started smoking/leaking coolant.

So I'm currently being towed back to the dealership. Fingers crossed that its an electronics fix.

It's a 2012 LS AT. No issues, oil changed at 5k, and oil life monitor was at 40% and I still had 3k to go before next oil change.

Here's hoping my girl's okay :'(

oMAHONEYo,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you are experiencing with your Cruze. If you feel you need further assistance I would suggest that you contact GM of Canada at 800-263-3777 Monday-Friday 7:30am - 11:30pm or Saturday 7:30am - 6:00 EST. Please feel free to keep me posted. Happy Thanksgiving!!
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Well, that's definitely a start! My guess then is that it would be at the top. It's actually funny, I've been mentioning to my girlfriend that my car smelled 'sweet/chemically' but I figured it was the copious amounts of cleaning I do to it all the time.

However, after it was steaming, the coolant was boiling/fizzing out the top. My guess then is that it'd be at that point. It's a little terrifying to see your car 'bleeding' on the main highway on a long weekend.
The coolant is under pressure. A pressure loss at the temperatures the Cruze runs at will result in boiling/fizzing. Hopefully it's nothing major and you'll get your car back quickly. When you do, verify everything, including the oil change and Stabilitrak have been taken care of.

Did you get lucky like I did with my Montana and find a really good restaurant you had never eaten at before? I pulled into a BBQ place's lot to wait for my tow and have now been back several times for dinner.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The coolant is under pressure. A pressure loss at the temperatures the Cruze runs at will result in boiling/fizzing. Hopefully it's nothing major and you'll get your car back quickly. When you do, verify everything, including the oil change and Stabilitrak have been taken care of.

Did you get lucky like I did with my Montana and find a really good restaurant you had never eaten at before? I pulled into a BBQ place's lot to wait for my tow and have now been back several times for dinner.
Yeah, I went back to the dealership today to grab a few things that I had left in it. Decided to pop the hood while I was there and saw the coolant was entirely all gone. Now we know that clearly something is up with the coolant at least. But I'll definitely ensure everything is good upon the (hopefully) soon return! Thanks again for all the help!

And no, sadly, I was stuck on the middle of the 401 eastbound during rush hour. The closest thing to me was a mall on the opposite side of the highway haha. At least I got to hang out with Onstar for the few hours I was there!

You've gotta appreciate a good BBQ though!

oMAHONEYo,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you are experiencing with your Cruze. If you feel you need further assistance I would suggest that you contact GM of Canada at 800-263-3777 Monday-Friday 7:30am - 11:30pm or Saturday 7:30am - 6:00 EST. Please feel free to keep me posted. Happy Thanksgiving!!
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service
Thanks Stacy. Hopefully nothing else is needed, but I'll keep that number handy just incase! And thanks - the turkey is a wonderful thing to make up for the lost car!

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts

+1. And let us know what the problem was. We always want to know the issues our Cruzes have.

I hope everything turns out ok.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tha is again guys,

My dealership doesn't open until 7 (for service) but they guys just gave me a ring to get all the details. Starting to look into it and will call me ASAP. We shall see!

·
158 Posts
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright

So I just got off the phone with the dealership. Looks like it was a head gasket leak, but I wont be getting the car back until tomorrow. At least for now they're giving me a loaner to get me to work tonight/possibly tomorrow).

I definitely can not wait to get it back, it's been too long!

The dealership is great though. Totally on the ball as soon as they got it!

·
158 Posts
Head wasn't torqued properly at the engine assembly plant. Luckily that is not common, still sucks though!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I'm glad they found it quickly. Coolant leaks the result in loss of all coolant are fortunately rare as well as easy to find.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts