Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the gauntlet's been thrown down. The Civic Type R is coming for 2018 with rumored 340 hp. What will GM do?

·
2,170 Posts
GM is missing out by not competing with the Focus ST/RS, Fiesta ST, Civic Si, Subaru WRX/STI, and Golf GTI.

The SS trim level used to be desirable, and even if they weren't the highest selling products, they gave their affordable practical cars street credibility and bragging rights and they brought customers in to look. The decision to name a car the "SS" still blows my mind. That's not a name, it's a trim level. They could have called it literally anything else, Bel Air, Nova, Vega, Sprint. But not SS.

Not everyone wants to spend 45-50K to have a 4-door car with a little bit of performance, and not everyone wants a coupe. (Even though I would like to see a Sonic/Cruze coupe) They have all the materials to build amazing vehicles. Jam the 2.0L Turbo into the Sonic or Cruze, stiffen the suspension a bit, and slap an SS badge on it. Bolt a turbo or two on the Impala, give it an SS badge, and start competing with the Taurus SHO and the Charger RT. They have the ability to do amazing things but they're too busy making the Bolt, and the mid-engine Corvette.

·
2,254 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
It's not like they don't have hot hatches. See Vauxhaul VXR.

Some idiot somewhere just won't let them bring them here.

·
2,170 Posts
It's not like they don't have hot hatches. See Vauxhaul VXR.

Some idiot somewhere just won't let them bring them here.
Exactly! It's not that they don't have the resources, they just won't sell them to us. I think it may be the same reason they don't sell utes here, they're afraid utes will cut into their truck sales and they're afraid affordable performance vehicles will cut into their Camaro and Corvette sales.

When really folks who just want to haul some stuff around but don't want a huge truck, or can't afford them, just buy crossovers and a trailer, and folks who would buy hot hatches take their business to other manufacturers.

Reactions: Starks8

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Exactly! It's not that they don't have the resources, they just won't sell them to us. I think it may be the same reason they don't sell utes here, they're afraid utes will cut into their truck sales and they're afraid affordable performance vehicles will cut into their Camaro and Corvette sales.

When really folks who just want to haul some stuff around but don't want a huge truck, or can't afford them, just buy crossovers and a trailer, and folks who would buy hot hatches take their business to other manufacturers.
I'd still buy a GTI or Focus, lol. I have zero brand loyalty.

I hate the idea of utes, though. The small truck market really appeals to me. Hate the new Taco, love the new Canyon, and am excited to see what Ford and Nissan bring in.

·
2,170 Posts
I'd still buy a GTI or Focus, lol. I have zero brand loyalty.

I hate the idea of utes, though. The small truck market really appeals to me. Hate the new Taco, love the new Canyon, and am excited to see what Ford and Nissan bring in.
I may be a bit GM biased. My father works for GM Spring Hill Manufacturing (Formerly Saturn) and much of my other extended family works for GM in Michigan. I'll continue to support GM as long as they continue to support my family. (Even if I don't agree with all of their decisions)

A ute would be perfect for the 8 times I've had to move in the last 8 years, and it would be perfect for hauling my motorcycle around. Instead I've had to install a trailer hitch on my Cruze and deal with storing my trailer at a friend's house. I love utes, just look at this thing.

Though this doesn't exist, if it had a 2.0L turbo and the transmission from the Cobalt SS, it would be my perfect vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,887 Posts
Well, the gauntlet's been thrown down. The Civic Type R is coming for 2018 with rumored 340 hp. What will GM do?
You mean the new Honda Civic Subaru WRX with more lines? Can't outrun that kind of ugly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts