Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wix generally makes good products, but after 8,300 miles or so in my Cruze, the oil filter was in unacceptable condition.

The filter media was beginning to collapse, and the ribs were sticking together greatly reducing the available flow and filtration. With the same driving distance and conditions i had no issues with a Purolator filter. I bought 3 Wix filters because they're much cheaper on Rockauto, but after seeing the results i definitely DO NOT recommend them for our application. I'd rather pay double for a Purolator locally.

Unfortunately i had to put another Wix in, but i might swap it out after about 4K.

Oil consumption was 1/2 a quart over 8K miles. Amazing for a turbo car IMO.

Dont mind the messy garage, it doesn't normally look like that lol

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I just put a WIX in the car today.... Must now change the filter, good thing about this is that the brand new oil in there won't go to waste. I had a bad feeling about it but it was the only one that the O-Reillys had

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
This does not surprise me one bit, though looking at your pictures that one isn't that bad.

My 2004 cavalier with a 2.2ecotec used a different but similar style filter. I tried many different brands but started noticing even some decent names would collapse on itself.

Only the AC delco filter did not do this even at 10,000miles. after inspecting them I realized the AC filter had 4-8X the glue on the ends keeping the filter fins in place. The worst were the cheap fram, super tech(walmart) & the purolator pure one, those would be destroyed at 3,000miles.

Here is one thats much worse than yours, but still not as bad as I have seen in some 2.0, 2.2, & 2.4 ecotec engines. 2007 Chevy Colbalt oil filter WTF! - Yellow Bullet Forums

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I just put a WIX in the car today.... Must now change the filter, good thing about this is that the brand new oil in there won't go to waste. I had a bad feeling about it but it was the only one that the O-Reillys had
I wouldn't necessarily run to change it, but to me it was not in acceptable condition. Starting to twist, concave and collapse on itself at the end of its life isn't OK with me when other filters look fine at the end of their service life.

This post isn't to scare Wix users, just saying to me there are much better option for our cars. I'm going to leave it in there for 4K.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Don't bother with a Purolator. It's Chinese made garbage also. AC Delco (US-made, at least for now) is the way to go for the 1.4T. The Delco filters I use always come out looking just fine at 7500-8000 miles.

For oil filters in the 1.4T, Delco or no go.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I actually have 6 wix filter for the cruze on the shelf in the garage for the rare time I might change my own oil. I will just follow the method I did with my last car, if it is not a delco filter I will change the filter at 3,000-4,000miles, half way through an oil change.

·
Super Moderator
5,148 Posts
I am glad I have a friend that can get me the AC Delco filters and A.C.D. Dexos oil from a distributor for @$25 for ea oil change. I got 2 filters and 10 quarts that were bought for my 1.8. Sure glad they also fit the 1.4. Just not as much oil. I have about 1300 miles on the car now. Don't know when I will do the first change. I get a free one at my dealer at 6000 miles(does not matter if I do one intermittent.) I can even get filters for my wife's 2.2 Malibu. for @$5. but I usually pick up a oil change special for @ $16 at Advance Auto for her car and change about 4000 miles.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The AC Delco, as well as some aftermarket filters appear to be Hengst E611H, made either in the US or Germany. The AC one gas a GM logo on the plastic, but other than that it looks the same as the other reboxed Hengst filters.

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Wix generally makes good products, but after 8,300 miles or so in my Cruze, the oil filter was in unacceptable condition.

The filter media was beginning to collapse, and the ribs were sticking together greatly reducing the available flow and filtration. With the same driving distance and conditions i had no issues with a Purolator filter. I bought 3 Wix filters because they're much cheaper on Rockauto, but after seeing the results i definitely DO NOT recommend them for our application. I'd rather pay double for a Purolator locally.

Unfortunately i had to put another Wix in, but i might swap it out after about 4K.

Oil consumption was 1/2 a quart over 8K miles. Amazing for a turbo car IMO.

Dont mind the messy garage, it doesn't normally look like that lol

yeah, they pretty much all do that, not unique to Wix. I highly doubt you are losing any oil flow through the filter because of that.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I just realized that Bosch also sells a filter (#72260WS). These filters are great and of high quality. May have to try this one next.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Don't bother with a Purolator. It's Chinese made garbage also. AC Delco (US-made, at least for now) is the way to go for the 1.4T. The Delco filters I use always come out looking just fine at 7500-8000 miles.

Last year I ordered some AC Delco from Rockauto, and I see they are less than $5.00 each, and up to 7-8 filters ships priority mail for less than $6.00. Don't be put off by these filters being one of the cheapest in their catalog, they are the rebranded hengst as others have mentioned. They come in plain white boxes, but so do the ones at the dealership. They are original AcDelco products. Only wish I would have ordered more. Dealer parts counter may also be a good price, but part stores in the midwest have this filter over $10.00 a piece. That's crazy.

Reactions: spacedout

·
Registered
383 Posts
Dissapointed with Napa Gold (Wix) air filter. Went to replace my air filter and the Napa Gold (Wix) filter is slightly smaller than the OEM filter. Too much slop in the airbox for my taste. Will stick to OEM.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I'll keep that in mind. I'm not saying purolator is the best out there, but it's all i have available locally, and i had no issues using one for the same service life.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I stick with AC......Primary reason is it fits.
Also, you can find them very well priced from companies such as Rock Auto..(I maintain a inventory) so I buy a half dozen at a time.
Lastly, GM has kindly put a 5/100 warranty on the powertrain and between my service documentation for Mobil 1 and AC filter reciepts, there will never be a 'This cheezy filter caused your failure' discussion.

All the filter tests in the world are meaningless to someone who changes oil/filter at 5k intervals.....the filter never sees any debris to speak of anyway.

Rob

1 - 20 of 35 Posts