Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First realization, can't use either Windex or that gas station stuff to clean it, always leaves a sheen. That Invisible Glass is the only thing that seems to work.

In feeling the glass, feels like soft plastic, any other windshield is as hard as a diamond. Thought I thoroughly cleaned by windshield, 2012 2LT, but driving in the setting or rising sun, seeing hundred of white specs that are very annoying. In viewing externally using a very bright light, can't see any of these specs at an angle.

While the Cruze windshield was always a PITA to clean, didn't have these white specs when new, 18 months old now and getting far worse with age. Think I am smart enough to tell the difference between surface and internal specs, its my right or wrong conclusion that these are internal.

Just posting this for other comments, for all I know, I am cracking up. But never have experienced this with any other vehicle. Sure never had this problem with any other vehicle I have owned. Now I am wishing my Cruze had a windshield just like any other vehicle I have owned dating back to when safety glass was first invented some 110 years ago.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just use stoner product in spray, not in can.

Stoner is the best product for cleaning windshield
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Am using Stoner Invisible Glass, in the spray bottle. So are you saying my problem is external and not internal to the windshield?

Even carry a bottle with me as that gas station stuff, smears up this windshield when on the road.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,388 Posts
I am wondering whether some of the knockoff replacement windshields (if there are any out there yet, I imagine there are) have a different texture/composition to them. As much as I hate to deviate from OEM, if I ever had to replace it, I'd be curious about that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Try to change your washing method.

External: spray product on your microfiber, do vertical movement, wipe with another microfiber.

Internal: spray product on a microfiber, do horizontal movement, wipe with another microfiber.

so when you'll drive in sun rise, if you see vertical or horizontal stripe, you'll know if its your cleaning method.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Dose the etched label on your windshield say FUYAO? Those are the OEM supplier glass.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting. I too have very small spots that look like I have been in a sandstorm. Only have 10K miles on the car and it is parked in a garage. Cleaning is tuff. I've tried everything. It only shows up when driving into bright sunshine.
Luckily the dealer broke it last week when we reluctantly brought the car in for an upcoming brake booster issue. They said that they have ordered a new windshield. I hope it is a factory windshield.
I think my new windshield will say "foyou" on it. LOL

·
Premium Member
4,150 Posts
Sure never had this problem with any other vehicle I have owned. Now I am wishing my Cruze had a windshield just like any other vehicle I have owned dating back to when safety glass was first invented some 110 years ago.
Do you guys use safety glass on the windscreen? All current windscreens going back about 30 years on Australian cars use laminated glass on the windscreen as even if it gets smashed you can still see through it. It is also much tougher to brake than safety glass. The rest of the windows are safety glass and window tint seems to hold it together quite well if a stone hits it. Of course you can't see through it but it saves having to clean tiny pieces of glass out of the car.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,784 Posts
These cars have a sound-deadened windshield. There may well be a layer of some kinda different plastic on it.

Mine looks mostly grit-free, but it's hard to clean with just the windshield washer/squeegee thingy at a gas station. Really have to go at it with paper towels/newspaper and a good cleaner.

Do you guys use safety glass on the windscreen?
No. Safety glass blows up everywhere if it gets hit with a stone.

·
Super Moderator
5,228 Posts
First realization, can't use either Windex or that gas station stuff to clean it, always leaves a sheen. That Invisible Glass is the only thing that seems to work.

In feeling the glass, feels like soft plastic, any other windshield is as hard as a diamond. Thought I thoroughly cleaned by windshield, 2012 2LT, but driving in the setting or rising sun, seeing hundred of white specs that are very annoying. In viewing externally using a very bright light, can't see any of these specs at an angle.

While the Cruze windshield was always a PITA to clean, didn't have these white specs when new, 18 months old now and getting far worse with age. Think I am smart enough to tell the difference between surface and internal specs, its my right or wrong conclusion that these are internal.

Just posting this for other comments, for all I know, I am cracking up. But never have experienced this with any other vehicle. Sure never had this problem with any other vehicle I have owned. Now I am wishing my Cruze had a windshield just like any other vehicle I have owned dating back to when safety glass was first invented some 110 years ago.
My 2011 LS had a problem with the windshield. Anytime I took the car to the car wash to have it washed(Mike's Car Wash) I had little white spots of residue that looked like they wax settling into a bunch of little divots on the windshield. I posted about this before(last year). Maybe it happened in transport on the car carrier. I just washed the windshield and they went away. Haven't noticed it on my 2012 Eco. It definitely seems like windshields are getting cheaper and cheaper how they are made.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fuyao North America Incorporated says nothing about how to clean their windshield or what is special about them. They do have contact information, will address my problem with them, if they respond.

Safety glass is kind of an gneric term, windshields always used a laminated glass. But definitely safer than using a single piece of glass. Heard that the other windows use that glass that breaks up into thousands of bubble pieces is actually five times stronger than windshield glass. But have not verified this.

starts off using 0000 dry steel wool, dare try this on your Cruze?

Those hundreds of tiny white dots only appear in driving into the sun, not noticeable at midday, night, or on a cloudy day. Just haven't been able to determine if interior on that lamination or exterior. But as I said, wasn't there when the car was new. Can't be my eyes, others couldn't help but notice it either.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts

Never Heard of it ! but since it is making you buggy run it down to the micro second of production date and time .

Could be some flaw in Manufacturing allowing contaminants in to the process !

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This was quick:

"Nicholas,

The shiny dots describe small pits made by small sand particles (
sandblasting effect) from the highway.

Slight blemishes, normally invisible, but in certain light angles they
appear as silver specks.

Regards,
Dan Martin
FYNA
864-281-2760"

In an return email, asked for rectification to this problem besides replacing the windshield. Noted that my 25 year old Supra with the original windshield does not share this problem. Also requested cleaning instructions.

Elected not to disagree with his diagnostics, do have two very tiny pin like chips in my windshield, very obvious from the exterior.

Using a 5X magnifier and a bright light, my judgment is that tiny bubbles are forming in the laminate itself.

Yet another problem is that fine oil mist buildup on the inside of the windshield, consider the source by all these trucks on the interstate. That has to be cleaned frequently, but wonder about our lungs?

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
My plastic ice scraper left scratches all over the windshield last winter, this is a weak windshield.

I had to stop my car on a really humid foggy day because the outside of my windshield kept fogging up. ended up washing three times before it would stop fogging.

·
Registered
713 Posts

My Cobalt has them all over the windshield. I thought they may have appeared after using a chlorox wipe on the windshield but that stuff is pretty gentle
This was quick:

"Nicholas,

The shiny dots describe small pits made by small sand particles (
sandblasting effect) from the highway.

Slight blemishes, normally invisible, but in certain light angles they
appear as silver specks.

Regards,
Dan Martin
FYNA
864-281-2760"

In an return email, asked for rectification to this problem besides replacing the windshield. Noted that my 25 year old Supra with the original windshield does not share this problem. Also requested cleaning instructions.

Elected not to disagree with his diagnostics, do have two very tiny pin like chips in my windshield, very obvious from the exterior.

Using a 5X magnifier and a bright light, my judgment is that tiny bubbles are forming in the laminate itself.

Yet another problem is that fine oil mist buildup on the inside of the windshield, consider the source by all these trucks on the interstate. That has to be cleaned frequently, but wonder about our lungs?
I was given the same diagnosis but unless my car had been driven through a Saudi Arabian desert I don't see how so many marks could be on it from end to end

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.