Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, Hopefully someone can help me out?

couple days ago I drove my car and noticed a noise which sounds like its either comming from the driver side rear wheel or driver side front wheel. The noise is like a clicking sound (putting a playing card taped to a bicycle wheel) and it only happens when i accelerate, if I'm parked or at a red light nothing and also everytime I step on the brakes even slightly the noise goes away as soon as I let go of the brake it comes back.

when I have the windows up I do not hear any sounds, but once the windows are down I could hear it, also when I pass by a wall or cars it gets louder.

does anyone know what this could be?

i have a 2011 with 70,000 km

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I know this might sound funny, but check your cabin air filter to make sure its not making that ticking noise from the blower fan on your HVAC system. I had a ticking noise that I could only hear at random (sometimes under 50% throttle, sometimes cruising on the highway, ect). But I found here that the cabin air filter may be rubbing on the fan causing that ticking noise.

Perhaps you can play with the fan speeds to see if you can pinpoint it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help, I'm gonna test it out today just in case it is actually the problem, I did in fact change my cabin air filter 2 weeks ago about but the noise started 2-3 days ago, just curious I here the noise regardless if the ac is on or not would it matter?

if I have my windows up I dont hear the clickling sound or metal rubbing sound, once I put my windows down I here it and if I pass by a wall or cars it gets even louder, but only upon accelerating if I press the brakes the noise is gone or if I'm parked ect..

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Essentially all you should have to do is remove the cabin air filter and re-seat it. As far as when the ticking is happening for you, mine was intermittent. Also, it did not matter that the AC was on or off. It was the blower fan hitting the cabin air filter, in my case.

As far as when the ticking is happening for you, I'm starting to think it may be from the engine bay...

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Thanks for your help, I'm gonna test it out today just in case it is actually the problem, I did in fact change my cabin air filter 2 weeks ago about but the noise started 2-3 days ago, just curious I here the noise regardless if the ac is on or not would it matter?

if I have my windows up I dont hear the clickling sound or metal rubbing sound, once I put my windows down I here it and if I pass by a wall or cars it gets even louder, but only upon accelerating if I press the brakes the noise is gone or if I'm parked ect..
Hi there Jesse.moreira06,

Sorry to hear about this ticking noise you're experiencing with your Cruze! I understand you're seeking advice from forum members, however, if you decide to take it into the dealership for a diagnosis, please let me know and I'd be happy to help.

Have a great day,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BrandoFisher117- Thanks alot , I will try it later on tonight, I got nothing to lose. hopefully its the reason so I could save a trip to GM and some $$ but if not ohh well guess I got no choice to get it checked.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
BrandoFisher117- Thanks alot , I will try it later on tonight, I got nothing to lose. hopefully its the reason so I could save a trip to GM and some $$ but if not ohh well guess I got no choice to get it checked.
No problem at all! I wish I could help more. My knowledge of autos in general is pretty bare bones (if any :p).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunatly it wasn't the case, unless I re installed the cabin air filter wrong again haha, the noise is still their. I called my local GM dealership they said most likely the brakes something wrong with them but they can't tell without seeing the car (obviously). I just wanted to see if anyone dealt with the same problem so I could fix the problem myself before having to seek the dealership.

Thanks again, BrandoFisher117!!

does anyone else have any ideas what it could possibly be??

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BrandoFisher117 = MOTM !!!!!!

I have a 2011 Ltz rs btw

I'm going to take a look at my brakes and check if their is anything stuck such as dirt, rock ect.. Hopefully it's the cause and a simple brake clean can solve it all. Ill also check to see if they need replacing or if their still in good shape.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I have a 2012 LTZ RS :eek:ccasion14:

Let us know what you find out. I'm interested to see what comes up.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
For these kind of noises have to block the vehicle up, run the engine while I am underneath. Another method on a quiet road, is to ride my bike along side of it.

Daughter called her daddy with a ticking sound coming from her front wheels, her dealer said both her front hub bearings were bad, 600 bucks to replace them. First question was, do they click all the time or are they erratic, said erratic, bring that thing home. Was small stones stuck between the rotor shield and the rotor. Used a hack saw blade to knock those out, checked the hubs, nice and smooth.

Another problem with the Cruze are those crazy pad holders with clips on them corrosion builds up between those clips and the brackets and causes the pads to drag, also erratic until they seal tight than cook your rotors.

Also problems with the blower motor and nothing to do with the filter, well above the blower wheel, problem was the wheel was too close to that plastic shroud above it, had to remove the blower motor and put washers between that bracket and where it sealed, glued them on so they wouldn't fall out. Gave about 1.5mm more clearance and solved that annoying problem.

Look for the simple stuff first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts