Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS that will not blow air from defrost. When on defrost the air blows from dash vents. Not 100% sure but don't think it is the door blend actuator because when I crawled under the dash it looks like it rotates in every position. I tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting and resetting computer and this did not work. Is there anything else this could be?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
By "door blend", I think that only controls the temperature. It's a different actuator that sets the direction of the airflow.

Can you switch it from dash to floor?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i can switch from dash to floor. When i push the defrost button it sounds like it wants to kick into defrost then it kicks back into the dash vents

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Mode door, in the vehicle defrost is the upper most position of this door, with other vehicles ran into weather stripping falling off so was okay for the dash vent and floor. If sitting outside, could be just frost causing this.

Looks like a major job, dash has to be removed. #1 is the mode door control arm. 04 Cavalier had this problem, I could not believe they used sticky weather strip for the mode door and expect it to hold with 195*F hot air blowing on it. I hope they are not doing this on the Cruze as well of the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
On a long shot, I'd pull the cabin filter and dump the leaf litter that's built up on top of it. You might get lucky. At least it's quick and easy and sure beats pulling the dash apart. So no big loss if it doesn't work.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Unusual thing about the Cruze I have never seen in any vehicle before, when you switch modes, the blower motor is killed first. That kind of tells me those electrical actuators are not very powerful.

Where did that crazy front suspension drawing come from?

View attachment 174522

Never tried to reach up there yet, no reason to, but as you can see, those gear teeth are exposed, maybe some lint or debris got up in there. Reminds me of my new POS lawn spreader with exposed gears like this, always getting jammed, wish I kept my old one when they knew how to design a good one.

One reason why I don't like doing AC work on other peoples vehicles, you would be shocked to find the crap entering into the recir door. Not a mechanic, a janitor is more like it.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
This is what the mode door actuator looks like if this is any help.

Around a 23 buck part. Whole idea is to operate a door remotely three different systems were used over the years.

In a sense, cables gave problems, mostly because of the materials used, would rust and the lubricant would dry up, and cable is like a towing chain, very good at pulling, but kind of worthless for pushing, end of the cable would bend when being pushed.

GM has been using the electric actuators for years, mostly in pickup trucks and seem to be the most problematic.

Feel the most reliable systems were vacuum operated, used a double vacuum actuator where neutral was vents, pull the upper one for defrost, lower for the floor. So in either case, were pulling, and a stalled vacuum actuator doesn't burn up like an electric can.

Did to my homework before buying the Cruze, when I learned the MVAC system was all electrical, said to myself here we go again, said the same thing about the rear disc calipers that also have been problems for years, GM could never get this right.

But purchased it anyway, ha, namely with $4,700 on my GM card, was a nice discount.

I know on these cold mornings will need the defrost, so at night when parked, leave it in the defrost position with the blower motor off. Only switch to floor or vents after the car is good and warm, they last longer this way. Same with the AC, switch the compressor off about 3-5 minutes before getting home with the blower at max to dry out the evaporator. If I don't, will get mold buildup.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Looks fine on the outside, but what about the inside? Recall many years ago the door was stamped steel with a metal shaft running through it, shaft would turn, but not the door, just relied on a crimp, a spot of weld cured that.

Also use to be, your problem was everyone else's problem, but now all manufacturers are outsourcing to many different vendors, some are good and some, well, not so good.

Getting to the point of buying anything is like buying a lottery ticket, are you feeling lucky? Can you believe for four years, Ford was making a blend door out of a cheap low melting plastic, resulted in a major recall. You could try fighting with GM on this issue, a defroster is a major safety issue.

Post this in the ask GM site, never hurts to ask, but that answer may kill you.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Post this in the ask GM site, never hurts to ask, but that answer may kill you.
Oh, I already know what the answer will be: take it to the dealer. The GM folks here are customer service, not techs.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Possibility that something crawled up in there, that is the problem, we just don't know what the problem is, and out of bumper to bumper warranty, no dealer is going to look for it for free.

The reps here, to put it in a certain way, are just the starting point, can work your way up, but again, have to know what the problem is.

Sure you heard the story, will never buy this or that vehicle again, when you get into this for a long time, won't be ever buying any vehicle again. But did make the statement, will never go to a particular dealer ever again.

Had no choice but to complete remove the dash in my 04 Cavalier when I had no defrost problems, but wasn't that bad, had screws in it and only took a few minutes to remove it. No more screws is a new problem, concerned about breaking tabs and leaving with rattles the rest of the vehicles life. Sure don't want to even try this on a cold day, that plastic gets very brittle.

But when I have to, heat my garage and use a heat gun.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Any updates?

I can hear the actuator is moving but only blowing out the vents as well.

It's the wife's car and she never noticed until I said something, so who know how long it's been like that.

I'll dig in more when it warms up here.

·
Registered
53 Posts
MY 15' had a similar issue from new, they called the door mode actuator and once they took it out saw the case was cracked as the actuator, whole dash off to replace, It was catching when I'd switch modes so as far as the computer thought it was coming out the right place

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
MY 15' had a similar issue from new, they called the door mode actuator and once they took it out saw the case was cracked as the actuator, whole dash off to replace, It was catching when I'd switch modes so as far as the computer thought it was coming out the right place
This is not nice to hear, poor mold, lower grade of plastic, roughly handling in production, or is that 220*F heat too much for this plastic. Think I will avoid maximum temperatures. Ford had this problem in the late 90's, was forced to have a recall using cheap plastic, four model years as I recall.

Hopefully if it is a plastic problem, GM will do the same. Use to make this stuff out of stamped steel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have a 2013 Chevy Cruze doing the exact same thing. I click on defrost, the air seems to start to deflect, then comes straight out the front vents. I have 98k miles and unfortuneatly I am out of warrenty.

JWoloszyk825

1 - 20 of 62 Posts