Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2015 Cruze Diesel, went out to start it 2 weeks ago. It turned over normally, then made a higher-pitched noise, as if the starter was not engaging the flywheel. The starter would also not disengage, when the key sprang back to on position, vs start position.

Called the dealership, and they determined I needed a camshaft sensor switch. It was ordered and replaced, to no avail. They then had to order a special diagnostic tool, which has not yet arrived. It's been two+ weeks. They are concerned a timing belt/chain may have broken. They are doing a compression test next week.

The vehicle had 22k miles on it, in 7 months. All highway. Vehicle was acting normally, up til this point.

Anyone with thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The starter would also not disengage, when the key sprang back to on position, vs start position.
Unless the diesel is completely different, the start process is computer-controlled. You don't have to hold the key to the start position. Since the engine had not started, the computer was keeping the starter on when you switched back to run.

Two weeks at the dealer? I think this is a job for Patty. I don't think the dealer is using/getting the resources they have available to them. It's possible there's no compression, but I think it's more likely the starter mechanism has failed. The quick test there would be to see if the belt spins while the engine cranks.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Updated title per request. This type of thing has not been reported before. Good luck and Please keep us posted on the progress.

·
Administrator
25,598 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Sound slike you might have a crappy dealer. What does "no update" mean? Is it a "We've been running diagnostics on the car for 3 weeks and still haven't gotten to the bottom of it" or "We have been letting the car sit because we suck"?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree with diesel. They should have some idea of what is going on with your car by now. Sounds to me like they are just sitting on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK. I am unable to view my thread, but the cause pertains to this topic, so i will post it here.

My 2015 Cruze would not start 3 weeks ago. Called the dealership, and they took it in.

Long story short, they said my Timing belt tensioner did not hold proper tension. Belt jumped a notch or two. The Valves in the head hit the top of pistons. They will order the last cylinder head in the nation on Monday Morning.

It's been at the dealership for three weeks. Thank God it's still under warranty.

I've got 22K mi on it in 7 mos. Interstate driving. Gets serviced about monthly at that rate.

·
Super Moderator
7,784 Posts
OK. I am unable to view my thread, but the cause pertains to this topic, so i will post it here.

My 2015 Cruze would not start 3 weeks ago. Called the dealership, and they took it in.

Long story short, they said my Timing belt tensioner did not hold proper tension. Belt jumped a notch or two. The Valves in the head hit the top of pistons. They will order the last cylinder head in the nation on Monday Morning.

It's been at the dealership for three weeks. Thank God it's still under warranty.

I've got 22K mi on it in 7 mos. Interstate driving. Gets serviced about monthly at that rate.
A problem started yesterday with the database freezing out a number of threads. Once corrected we'll move your post back to its proper thread.

Sorry to hear about your cylinder head. Praise Allah for the warranty coverage.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts

Sorry to hear about your car, those cylinder head are quite expensive. Hope they gave you a loaner. Keep us posted and hope it all gets done very soon.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts

Kind of verifies the diesel is an interference engine, what about the pistons those valves hit?

Back in the 80's, Honda dealers were insisting on replacing the water pump,and some even on replacing the alternator as well running up the bill to around 1,200 bucks for the poor sucker. Tensioner sheave was good, just popped in a new bearing, water pumps were free of problems for well over 200K miles, and those Nippondenser alternators, could replace the brushes without even removing the alternator.

So could do the entire job for about 20 bucks with a new belt, bearing, and brushes. None of this is tax deductible, an if put on your CC, can cost three times as much.

·
Super Moderator
7,784 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
my Timing belt tensioner did not hold proper tension. Belt jumped a notch or two. The Valves in the head hit the top of pistons.
Ouch. Well, at least that's the right direction toward getting it fixed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, dealership had no luck getting the only head available in the US last week, so I'm getting a new engine this week.

Kind of a bummer deal. Wouldn't expect that to be a problem for Cruzes or Chevy's, in general. They are making it right. It's under warranty.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Well, dealership had no luck getting the only head available in the US last week, so I'm getting a new engine this week.

Kind of a bummer deal. Wouldn't expect that to be a problem for Cruzes or Chevy's, in general. They are making it right. It's under warranty.
Aside from the time and hassle of being without your personal car, I'd say this is going to work out very well for you. A new engine is much better than one with a replaced head!!! Parts fail from time to time. Glad to hear GM is standing behind it and taking care of you!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Wow, that's major surgery!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts