Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of you who don't know, what I would define as the world's largest rolling car show happens every year, the third weekend in August, in the suburbs of Detroit. Woodward Avenue, aka Michigan 1/M-1, is one of the state's oldest roads and has a rich history with cars and transportation: M-1 (Michigan highway) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1995, the Woodward Dream Cruise began and has grown ever since. It quickly grew to the point that it was no longer really a 'cruise', because there were too many people. I remember going down there in the late '90s and it was a parking lot. The metro Detroit area is SO incredibly passionate about cars that you see everything at the Dream Cruise, from million dollar cars, to lawn mowers and go carts (which are illegal and will be pulled over), to plenty of idiots who must have just gotten their license and have no idea how to drive their Mustang. Easily a million people show up to this yearly event now.

Sure, people are opinionated about certain brands, etc., but generally everyone comes together to have a good time and enjoy the hobby. For example, GM/Chevrolet sponsored parts of the event, including I believe 20 brand new Silverado LTZs equipped as rescue vehicles, which cruised the strip each day for the last few days. They were fully equipped with an ASE certified mechanic on board as well as the necessary tools to fix any roadside breakdowns, and they were there to help any brand of vehicle. Chrysler also unveiled their new Ram 1500 Rumble Bee at the event this year.

I went over Saturday afternoon this year just to cruise up and down for the fun of it. I didn't go the whole way, mainly because my foot was getting tired. And I don't even have a clutch! Basically it took me an hour and a half to travel down the six mile stretch I went. The road doesn't technically get closed for the 'cruise' until 9:00, 9:00-10:00 is the official time, so there are traffic lights to deal with. It's a slow creep slower than 1st gear in the Cruze. Temps this year were in the low 80s, so I was able to roll with the windows down, and the sunroof open for some of the time except when the sun got too hot. For those wondering, coolant temps with the Trifecta eco never went above 209, but ran mostly 205-209.

I went over with no plans at all and just happened to run into a good friend and my former roommate at school, who just finished swapping an LS1 with trans from an '04 GTO 6M into his '94 Miata. The car had been off the road a year since he blew the factory trans, and he just got it done enough to drive at 12:30 Saturday morning. I ended up meeting up with him later on and sat by his spot on the curb to watch the cars go, where I also happened to find Jnoobs. It ended up being a great night and I stayed until the cops shut it down at 10:00.

I took my camera, but honestly I never took it out of the bag. Instead of me just typing away, I'll let my GoPro do the talking. This video is just shy of an hour, and I have part 2, another 45 mins or so, uploading at home now that should be done tonight. They are definitely worth the watch if you can take the time. Each lane moves at a different pace, so you can see many different cars, as well as those on the other side of the road, and the ones parked in the lots on the side of the road.

Note: I don't know any of the Cruzen that were rolling with me, they were just there to have a good time as well.

For those wanting to follow along on Google Maps, I started just south of Square Lake and turned around at 14 Mile. The first video I believe stops just short of Maple.

Stay tuned for part 2.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
We should all meet up and go here next year, and bomb them with Cruzes.... A lot of Cruzes.

So many sweet cars though, i can only imagine. I would love to have been there.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We should all meet up and go here next year, and bomb them with Cruzes.... A lot of Cruzes.

So many sweet cars though, i can only imagine. I would love to have been there.
I tried to put together something for this year, but the problem is, it's so well known that many of the lots on Woodward have already been reserved. Some are still open, but one needs connections to know someone with a lot, and that I lack.

We could all certainly meet up a few miles away and go down, but getting parked together would be a challenge.

Reactions: JayZee

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Then we need to make a big Cruzetalk get-together next year. I am down for a road trip up North. I dread making it out of Florida but after that it is smooth sailing!
We already have a big meet Lordstown. But idk if we want a beamer joining us lol j/k your always welcome to come. Ill be coming next year again.

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
LOL. I won't be putting that many miles on my beamer anyhow.

Ill rent a Cruze. ;)
Good I'm bringing mine again next year hopefully someone elae will come further.

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They just reported on the news- they officially are saying about 1.2 million people attended this year's Dream Cruise!

Reactions: Starks8

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool videos! Looks like it was pretty awesome! Did you and any of the other Cruze drivers acknowledge each other or anything?
Nope, not really. The guys in the LTZ were too busy talking and smoking. The guy in the passenger seat of the BGM 1LT did look over briefly. Then they got behind me and followed me until I got to the left. Nothing from the Blue Granite LS.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've been going to this for 7 years now, when i started school in Michigan. The girl and I drove out from NY for it this year and i have to say, with the weather being so f'n perfect this is probably the biggest one i've been too. I'll have to check the videos and see if my cruze is on any of the vids, tho i didn't spend much time on the boulevard in the car. We walked through the GMPP show on saturday and then hung out with my roommate's friend in the Audi VIP lot and crushed free beers all afternoon. We went back after dinner and managed to get a spot outside at Vincetta Garage (11.5 mi and Woodward) and sat there and drank and watched the end of the cruise til they started shutting things down.

Best one yet. I'm planning to have something with alot more noise and 4 more cylinders before next years event.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I tried to put together something for this year, but the problem is, it's so well known that many of the lots on Woodward have already been reserved. Some are still open, but one needs connections to know someone with a lot, and that I lack.
This is very true. But unless we all had a high end sports car, parking wouldn't be a problem. I know this because every year my dad takes his 98 Viper to the Cruise, and just wanders down Woodward until he sees an open spot. 4 out of 5 times the person "holding" the lot (usually the business owner) will be more than happy to have my dad park his Viper there. It's actually kind of cool, because it makes you feel super important, even though you may be nobody hahah

1 - 14 of 14 Posts