Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

Registered
This is my thought for the OP. If you're looking for an economic vehicle to drive for a lengthy commute that has more standard features than a 1.4t eco, the diesel is a great car. If you're going to trade it again in a year or two, save yourself the trouble and look for something else. I've driven many different vehicles, and of them all I enjoy driving the cruze the most. We've put just over 29,000 miles on ours since we drove it home on 8/15/2014. We've had to go to the dealer a couple of times, but regardless, I love this car. I can envision it someday being the ugly vehicle that my kids don't want to drive with well over 250,000 miles on it. We purchased an extended warranty from GM, it wasn't that much money and we have bumper to bumper through 100,000 miles, so that any unforeseen mechanical failures prior to 100k were taken care of by the dealer. By 100,000 miles, it will be paid off.

Of all of the Cruze models, the diesel is the most enjoyable to drive. We've made multiple road trips to St. Louis from Dallas, about 4 so far I believe, and I've driven to Oklahoma City for work about 5 times.

Some things that are worthy of noting:

DEF Fluid: It appears that a tank of DEF will last ~10,000 miles.
Fuel Filter: GM charges an arm and a leg for this, I believe members here have been able to buy the filter for <$40
DPF: We had to take ours back for a manual regen, I'm not sure what caused it. The weekend prior I was pussyfooting around trying to play the MPG game, and probably didn't build enough heat to get a regen done when it was needed. Don't be afraid to put your foot in it.

Premium Member
Just as I stated Memorial Day sale 25% off of MSRP on this car on a NEW diesel. The sale ends and the dealer was able to TAG the car on 6/1/15 and keep the sale price until the car sells.
Ah, the sale comes from GM. By creating a fictitious sale, they get the car at the low price (and cars with lower prices are easier to sell) - but it starts the warranty clock.

Registered
Some things that are worthy of noting:

DEF Fluid: It appears that a tank of DEF will last ~10,000 miles.
Fuel Filter: GM charges an arm and a leg for this, I believe members here have been able to buy the filter for <$40
DPF: We had to take ours back for a manual regen, I'm not sure what caused it. The weekend prior I was pussyfooting around trying to play the MPG game, and probably didn't build enough heat to get a regen done when it was needed. Don't be afraid to put your foot in it.
the F stands for fluid, so its DE fluid, or DEF.

def is <$15 a jug, 10,000 miles so...0.15 cents a mile

fuel filter is <$100 40,000 miles so.... 0.25 cents a mile

not even half a cent per mile for the two items

assuming (on the low end)...$3/gallon diesel, 40mpg avg...would cost $48 for 640 miles for fuel, plus $2.56 for def/fuel filter or $3.16/gallon for fuel, def and fuel filter cost

if you were to get 2mpg more, that would equal the 0.4 cents per mile (at $3/gallon)

im 99% sure on my math, but ive only been awake for 1hr

Registered
Looks like funny math to me, at 100 bucks for a fuel filter it would be .025 cents per mile not .25 cents per mile. Anyway I'm at 54K and on my original fuel filter. I plan on changing it at 60K minimum. I'm in So Cal so moisture is not an issue and I've increased my fuel filter SD Ford diesel as well. May even go 80K which would make that cost .012 cents per mile. Oh BTW the DEF is .015 cents a mile not .15 cents, $15.00 divided by 10K. I think I'm using two 15 dollar containers every 10K or one every oil change @6K.

Registered
Looks like funny math to me, at 100 bucks for a fuel filter it would be .025 cents per mile not .25 cents per mile. Anyway I'm at 54K and on my original fuel filter. I plan on changing it at 60K minimum. I'm in So Cal so moisture is not an issue and I've increased my fuel filter SD Ford diesel as well. May even go 80K which would make that cost .012 cents per mile. Oh BTW the DEF is .015 cents a mile not .15 cents, $15.00 divided by 10K. I think I'm using two 15 dollar containers every 10K or one every oil change @6K.
1500 cents divided by 10,000 miles is 0.15 cents, isnt it?

Premium Member
LOL I figured there would be some confusion about the cents. Many people think ".25 cents" means a quarter. (Hint - It doesn't. "25 cents" is a quarter. ".25 cents" is 1/4 of 1 cent)

Registered
So your saying that if I have $1.25 its one dollar and 1/4 cent, I don't think so. 1/4 of a cent is .025 where I live LOL, decimal points need to be in the correct place.

Registered
What reading is the DIC giving you on your fuel filter (% left)? It sounds like you have a good system worked out, but 80k seems extreme. Especially for a filter you can get for $60-$70. I believe the systems hits 0 after 10k gallons of fuel. That's a lot of fuel to filter.

Registered
I didn't post about DEF, fuel filters and the DPF based on their financial impacts. They are all items that you have to be aware of if you're going to own the diesel variant of the Cruze or and modern vehicle with a diesel engine.

You can calculate cost per mile if you would like, but at the end of the day most folks don't have an account setup in which they accrue for maintenance. Additionally, one jug of DEF does not fill the DEF tank on the Cruze.

You also need to be aware that the same 2 miles per gallon extra that you claim will pay for the extra items, DEF and fuel filter, cannot be used to offset the cost of the diesel Cruze over the 1.4t Eco therefore increasing the amount of time before an owner would "break-even".

I'm not going to do a bunch of maths in the thread, I just wanted to post some additional information for the OP. I love my Cruze, but I didn't buy it because it was the smartest purchase, there was/is some novelty involved.

Premium Member
I spoke with this dealer several times and asked many questions, this isn't my first rodeo. Just as I stated Memorial Day sale 25% off of MSRP on this car on a NEW diesel. The sale ends and the dealer was able to TAG the car on 6/1/15 and keep the sale price until the car sells. I have a brother that bought a Chevrolet truck exactly the same way. If you are so skeptical just call the dealer and you will find I know what the **** I am talking about. I will admit it is unusual but that is what they told me and they have no reason to lie to me. People on here are buying 2014 for about the same as a deal on a 2015. If you are somewhat near Iowa this is a better deal. I don't know what internally they call this type of deal, if it is demo with 10 miles, who the heck cares, it's a good deal for the right buyer. Current incentives in my zip code is a whopping 1000 dollar rebate. This is equivalent to GMS price and a $5000 rebate. And everyone gets this price, don't have to be a gm employee retiree or family member.
Yeah, never said you didn't know what the **** you were talking about. You can only go on the information they give you. This isn't against what you know, at all. I sold cars.

Dealerships are shady, and it's not necessarily that they are or aren't lying to you. Sometimes even the salesman don't get the right information and aren't passing that same information onto you.

And you're also right about it not mattering if it's a demo. I'm not saying that the car is junk, even if it's been demoed. That's the not what the point is, either. The point is, something started the factory warranty and I was curious about what that was.

There aren't many things short of actually selling the car, or titling the car, that start the warranty. And it doesn't even matter if the warranty has started. My only question was, why has it started?

Sounds like a good deal. I got $5580 off all 3 of my Ecos. I waited until the exact same incentives were available before I bought each one, so I know they can be had for a low, low price.

The best advice I can give someone looking for a good deal, is buy on a holiday, buy on a weekend, and or buy at the end of the month/ year. And buy from a big volume dealer.

And just when you think you've gotten the best deal possible, you will find a dealer willing to make an even better one, by offering ICVs or incentive cash vouchers. But wait for them to offer them to you, because walking in and asking for ICVs is like, "ok, this guy is an a**hole."

So, there are plenty of ways to get great deals.

Premium Member
Cruze tech, all they told me was in order to keep the 25% off they had to TAG the car, what ever TAG means, my understanding was they had to show the car being in service or sold while the 25% off sale was going on in order to keep the much lower price. Its an unique deal for sure. So whomever actually buys the car it will show 6/1/15 as purchase date. Ok that's all I know about this car, If someone has an interest in the car, please do your own due diligence on the details.

Premium Member
So your saying that if I have $1.25 its one dollar and 1/4 cent, I don't think so. 1/4 of a cent is .025 where I live LOL, decimal points need to be in the correct place.
No. That ($1.25) is 1 dollar and .25 of a dollar, or a dollar and a quarter. It is sensitive to the context. ".25 cents" (1/4 of 1 cent) is not at all the same as "$.25" (1/4 of one dollar - or 25 cents)

Premium Member

Registered
No. That ($1.25) is 1 dollar and .25 of a dollar, or a dollar and a quarter. It is sensitive to the context. ".25 cents" (1/4 of 1 cent) is not at all the same as "$.25" (1/4 of one dollar - or 25 cents)
Hilarious. I literally laughed out loud.

Where has this been all my life?

Registered
$1.25 = 125 cents = 125.0 cents

1/4 of a cent is 0.25 cents or $0.0025 (fixed)

units are as important as decimal positions

LOL at how this thread to a turn.
Yeah, never said you didn't know what the **** you were talking about. You can only go on the information they give you. This isn't against what you know, at all. I sold cars.

Dealerships are shady, and it's not necessarily that they are or aren't lying to you. Sometimes even the salesman don't get the right information and aren't passing that same information onto you.

And you're also right about it not mattering if it's a demo. I'm not saying that the car is junk, even if it's been demoed. That's the not what the point is, either. The point is, something started the factory warranty and I was curious about what that was.

There aren't many things short of actually selling the car, or titling the car, that start the warranty. And it doesn't even matter if the warranty has started. My only question was, why has it started?

Sounds like a good deal. I got $5580 off all 3 of my Ecos. I waited until the exact same incentives were available before I bought each one, so I know they can be had for a low, low price.

The best advice I can give someone looking for a good deal, is buy on a holiday, buy on a weekend, and or buy at the end of the month/ year. And buy from a big volume dealer.

And just when you think you've gotten the best deal possible, you will find a dealer willing to make an even better one, by offering ICVs or incentive cash vouchers. But wait for them to offer them to you, because walking in and asking for ICVs is like, "ok, this guy is an a**hole."

So, there are plenty of ways to get great deals.
yeah I was always under the 'assumption" warranty starts when the car is titled/registered by the 1st owner. I had a 2003 Mazda 6 in the middle 2004 sold as new with 150 miles on it. Warranty started at 150 miles and I just about used that warranty up until I sold them the car back. Went through a pulley and engine failure in 9k miles and all the other guys with similar miles were going through trannys. I didn't learn my lesson at all and got 2 more 1st year production cars and wow what an experience.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts