Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've kind of been crazy over the Cruze since I saw it and have been trying to work out a way to get one. Just got my taxes done and low and behold I have enough for a solid down payment now!

Now due to me going back to College my work hours are going to be chopped so I was looking for something under or around $13,000. Randomly I stumbled on this.

2011 Chevrolet Cruze For Sale In Clayton NC - Liberty Used Motors Clayton

It's an RS, 2011, but I'm not really caring about the year. I'm aware of it getting 36mpg compared to the '12 model getting 38mpg. But my question is: Is it worth it? It's my first car purchase by myself and its quite a ways from me. I'm in KY and its in NC. But I don't mind driving. It just sucks that I can't just drive over real quick and give it a good look down.

I keep debating if I should go for it or kind of wait around for something to capture my eye locally. The RS package isn't necessary, but the extra flare caught my eye.

Sidenote: I checked carfax and found I think it was 16 records, but of course I have to pay to see them.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,359 Posts
The 2011 automatic transmission is atrocious. Plus, that car's just out of warranty already.

I'd look for something with less miles and a 2012. Or look at the LS. The LS really is a great deal for what it is.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick input guys. And yeah I'm financing. There's a local place where I know someone who will give me a good deal on whatever I want, but lately the Used Cruzes they are getting are either too expensive or LTZ's haha. A little too steep for me.

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Honestly with your budget I'd recommend getting newer lower model like ls or lt with less miles.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
I'd pass. Buying a used car for new-car payments is a recipe for disaster. And, a 2011 automatic will be quick but atrocious on gas.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Go the new car route. Thanks to the storms last fall there is actually a shortage of used cars right now and their prices have gone through the roof. In addition, financing rates for a new car are almost always less than for a used car so the additional purchase price becomes pretty much a push in the payment size.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
Interest is higher on a used car.

If you buy straight out cash, i would look around to buy from a private owner, and make sure everything checks out. But if i were you, specially being a student who does a lot of driving i am sure. I'd get a new one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll keep looking for a deal that catches my eye! Preferably a new one.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Thanks for the quick input guys. And yeah I'm financing. There's a local place where I know someone who will give me a good deal on whatever I want, but lately the Used Cruzes they are getting are either too expensive or LTZ's haha. A little too steep for me.
Thanks everyone. I'll keep looking for a deal that catches my eye! Preferably a new one.
One thing to keep in mind is that new car financing will often be much better than used car financing. When I was buying, the current incentives allowed me to get my car at 2.9% financing. Used Cruzes were at 5.9% financing.

The difference in monthly payments and total spent over the course of the 5 year loan made it such that a brand new car would cost me only $500-$1000 more than the used one.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,359 Posts
Chevy and several other manufacturers were offering 60/72-month 0% financing on year-end models last year. If so, end of summer would be an excellent time to buy.

I got a 1.9% on my Cruze, and we got a 0% on the Toyota that we bought in the same year. Always shop around for the best bargain...don't just settle for the first offer you get!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts