Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Would you buy this for $12.9?

Tags
$129 buy
4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  NickD 
#1 ·

2014 Chevrolet Cruze

2014 CHEVROLET CRUZE DIESEL, ONLY 16K MI, LEATHER, BACKUP CAM, HEATED SEATS!

Price:
US $12,900.00
Buy It Now

Best Offer:

Make Offer

See less See more
#6 ·
I had a 47 P-15 Plymouth Business Coupe. Love the old iron!!!!!

[PPQUOTE=NickD;2279129]Would you buy one just like this for $25.00?

Already did, with vacuumatic shift problems, replaced that is a buck lever from Warshawski's and ran perfectly.

Talk about sticker shock with this new stuff.

That was two ten dollar bills and one five dollar bill.[/QUOTE]

#7 ·
Ha, did purchased a 1948 Plymouth coup like this one, same color with whitewall tires, except the one I got had dual spotlights installed. It did have a rod knock, but the body and interior was so nice, paid $50.00 for it.

Went to my wrecking yard, and picked up a 1954 Dodge engine, complete with everything on it, with only 8,000 miles on it for 65 bucks, took all of about four hours to replace the old engine. Plymouth had a 196 CID engine, truck was a 218 CID, a bit more HP, was a direct bolt in fit.

#8 ·
Yes! Mine was that body style...without the back seat!! Imo..the coupe without the back seat, looks way cooler! I'll post a pic when I get a chance. Don't want to hijack the original post too much more. I'll post somewhere else in this site.

#12 ·
Largest throwaway part is the entire unibody itself, not repairable. And because of this, ebay is loaded with used Cruze parts by wreckers trying to clean up. Use to be able to go to a wrecking yard with a bushel basket, load it up with parts you took off the vehicle and pay a buck.

Another reason chop shops became popular, parts are worth a lot more than the completed vehicle, and no problems with the VIN and trying to title a stolen vehicle.

Ha, whenever they try to solve a problem, create ten more in the process.

What happened to the five mph bumper? More like 0.000001 mph now.

#16 · (Edited)
Largest throwaway part is the entire unibody itself, not repairable. And because of this, ebay is loaded with used Cruze parts by wreckers trying to clean up. Use to be able to go to a wrecking yard with a bushel basket, load it up with parts you took off the vehicle and pay a buck.
Dumb and inaccurate statement. Unibodies are repairable. It just takes time and money just like a full framed car. Lots of modern cars are totaled because of the cost of safety equipment (SRS: bags, belts, sensors...) rather than the cost of unibody repair. If you blow both the driver and passenger side dash/wheel/knee airbags and seatbelts without any side airbag deployment, you're probable looking at $5,000-$7,000 in safety equipment parts and labor. That doesn't leave a lot of money for body/paint repairs.

Once again all cars are consumable. Cars wear, rust, and become obsolete over time. If they weren't, you'd still be driving the cars you bought in the 50's or 60's. How long do think a car should last? I live in the midwest like you and see unibody cars last over 10years ALL the time. My daily is a '05 and my wife drives an '03. No major rust issues on either, and it's common around here to see 10 year old cars on the road. I've seen 10 year old light duty turks with the frames rusted through. BOF construction wasn't the high mark for auto design that you seem to think it is/was. The old times weren't that great and tomorrow's not as bad as it seems.

#13 ·
My dad used to let people come to the junkyard, if you could push, pull, or drag it out it was yours. He did it every second Saturday and it was $300 to come in. First thing people did was found the largest hood they could and used it like a sled. Ended up not doing it when our typical customers were getting one guy to go up and take all the parts that we just priced at $1000. I mean, people were getting crazy, they were coming out with engines and transmissions.

Nowadays I look back and it doesn't seem like such a big deal. Nobody goes to the small junkyards anymore, have to have million dollar warehouses and computer software just to stay in the game at all. Plus the big yards will outbid you at auction everytime just to bankrupt some competition.

#14 ·
City was charging 30 bucks to take an old hot water heater, wrecking yard in town caught on to this, so also was charging 30 bucks. Couple of years ago, my under hot water heater developed a leak under warranty. The store I purchased it from didn't even want to see it, just the receipt and gave me a new hot water heater, ha, save the receipt.

Now what to do with the old one? Got out my reciprocating saw, cut off the jacket, garbage man did take that in my recycling bin with my tin cans after I folded it up. Insulation when in a trash bag, along with some controls. This just left the tank. Found a farmer that would take the tank, he splits in half for his cows to drink water from.

Few years ago, didn't even want to take a vehicle, but if you brought it in, would take it for free. But now if you can haul it in, will get 300 bucks for it. The Chinese want it for the metal. That's a long way to ship it, so they can make even more junk out of your old vehicle.

Not sure where I am going with this, but have to pay a small fortune for junk, then another small fortune to get rid of it.

#15 ·
and they want to give us a new piece of old junk ..for President !

#20 · (Edited)
I wouldn't buy the car questioned in this thread. It was a hard hit that looks almost as bad as Cruze in the news video above. Without being able to verify that the repair was done to GM and I-car standards, there is too much risk. The eBay ad is pretty vague and doesn't even show the driver's side of the car. That's a bio-hazzard sticker on the windshield.

1G1P75SZ9E7230341 The car in this thread.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet cruze Mid-size car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Full-size car Executive car

Between my brother and I, we own three rebuilt Cruzes. All had smaller front end hits with minor unibody structure damage and front airbag deployment. IMO these were a bargain. All were less than 2 years old, all had less than 30,000 miles, and all cost less than 1/2 of clean value completed including sales tax. Recalls are active but GM won't honor the warranty or special coverages on rebuilt titles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.