Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Currently I own a 2012 Mazda3 hatchback. I have a lengthy commute (~40 miles each way, 80% highway) and make a monthly trip from Chicago to Minneapolis to visit my boyfriend in grad school. This means my Mazda already has 110k miles over about 3.5 years of driving. I love the reliability and handling -- I've only had to do routine maintenance so far.

However, I also have a joint condition and after 3 years the car is wearing on me. The characteristics that make the car so fun means the steering is heavy at times (and make my elbows and hands ache some days) and the ride can be harsh (hard on my neck and back). I'm a part time grad student myself, and would love to find a car that doesn't leave me feeling beat by the end of the day so I can focus on my studies.

The Cruze has gotten great reviews for having a smooth, quiet ride, and I like the personality and fuel economy of the diesel engine. However, the diesel reliability is a bit worrisome based on some of the posts here.

Whatever I buy for my next car, I want to make sure it's a decision I can stick with long-term. Are my concerns about reliability overblown? Has the parts availability issue been resolved?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I think you're an ideal candidate for the CTD. If you're concerned take a look at the Gen 2 LT Automatic.

·
Registered
246 Posts
7 month owner: (others such as @diesel have a LOT more miles and experience than I do)..................

Likes: Fuel mileage, torque , passing power, braking (CTD has larger brakes than std Cruze), comfort (some dont like front seats, BUT I find them great on trips), WS view, easy to see out of, few if any blindspots, quiet at speed (can hardly hear that engine hummmmmmmm (old Mazda joke) , decent stereom wi-fi is nice, On Star a plus, great in cross winds and windy conditions, no tramlining (following grooves in road), truckers give it big thumbs up when they know its a diesel (mine is badged), when fuel mileage is good, not many stops for fill-ups,

Dislikes: getting in and out of, car sits low, frequent regens (for me anyway) can become annoying and with resultant loss of fuel mileage, where you live in Chi-Town, like only to find bio diesel which currently is about 40 cents less than regular fuel; need to get a Scan Gauge II if you want to "really" monitor the car ($150.00); fear of long-term reliability with CELs, DEF tank issues,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you're an ideal candidate for the CTD. If you're concerned take a look at the Gen 2 LT Automatic.
I had a MKIV Volkswagen (Golf R32) before my Mazda. It broke a handful of times per year, and each repair was at least $1,000. As long as the Cruze reliability and repair cost is better than that, I'll be happy.

The "easy" answer to my problem is a Toyota Camry. But I can't bring myself to drive a boring penalty box. I figure the Cruze Diesel at least has some personality.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bought my 2014 in april of 2014, have 105k miles on her at this point. The only things ive had go wrong have been the battery at the two year mark and the def heater. (I dont recommend running the def fluid low, cant prove this but i wouldnt doubt that i burned it up)

She has oodles of power (technical term) and passes anything you need to without really thinking about it, ease on the throttle and go. She clacks and makes all the random diesel noises she is supposed to, and i still have people give me odd looks when i use the green pump.

Wish the heater/ac controls had more "control". Windows seem to fog up more than i like. Drivers controls are fine, i use the steering wheel controls for the radio, otherwise leaning would be horrible.

I would buy it again. And i "may" buy another CTD to make a "track car" if i can get one for the right price.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Bought my 15 CTD five months ago, I have put little less than 10k miles on the car. I have had zero issues and the more I drive it the more I like it. My Chevy dealer has serviced the car two times and they do great work. When I first bought the car the front seats were not comfy, I am getting more use to it and long trips do fine just need to get out every few hours.

Like: fuel economy especially on highway, radio is good, ride is comfy, I have had a few tanks of 800 plus miles on long trips

Dislike: sometimes the frequent regens, Oem tires great for fuel economy not the best grip, my link radio sometimes cuts out around buildings or mountains

i really like the car and plan to drive it for a long time.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
are u buying used or are there any gen1 diesels left new?

no one here has a gen2 diesel, dunno when theyre available

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
are u buying used or are there any gen1 diesels left new?

no one here has a gen2 diesel, dunno when theyre available

That's what I was going to ask. The last Cruze diesel was 2015. There is none for 2016. 2016 is a transition year for the Cruze between the 1st Gen (2016 Cruze Limited) and the 2nd Gen (2016). The diesel is expected to come back for 2017, but I certainly wouldn't expect it until fall at the earliest.

I don't know as you can find a new 2014/2015 diesel at this point. If you're going used, then all the issues of buying used comes into play.

The real key to the Cruze seem to be finding a good dealer that can take care of the problems. It doesn't have the be the same one you buy it from.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I don't know as you can find a new 2014/2015 diesel at this point. If you're going used, then all the issues of buying used comes into play.

The real key to the Cruze seem to be finding a good dealer that can take care of the problems. It doesn't have the be the same one you buy it from.
this.

id be scared to buy a used one

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what I was going to ask. The last Cruze diesel was 2015. There is none for 2016. 2016 is a transition year for the Cruze between the 1st Gen (2016 Cruze Limited) and the 2nd Gen (2016). The diesel is expected to come back for 2017, but I certainly wouldn't expect it until fall at the earliest.

I would buy a low-mileage used one. Preferably Certified Pre-Owned (CPO).

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I bought mine used but it had 3700 miles and was a loaner from a dealer, I wouldn't let them service the car, I wanted my local dealer to service the car. If I were to buy used and it had been serviced, I would only buy if they had good service records, even Chevrolet dealers have put wrong oil in CTD or too much oil. Great cars if serviced properly, if wrong oil or too much oil, can be a major problem. It's pretty sad but just the way it is.

cpo just adds one year to the bumper to bumper and 12k extra miles. And maybe lower interest rate of borrowing. Not much else of real value, could be nice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cpo just adds one year to the bumper to bumper and 12k extra miles. And maybe lower interest rate of borrowing. Not much else of real value, could be nice.
Lower interest rate, road side assistance, another year of bumper-to-bumper, and 6 years/100k miles powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
says reimbursement of transportation expenses....is there a limit? its not specified.
Not sure. But something is better than nothing, right?

i dont see any emissions equipment covered, thats the part of the car to be wary of.
That would be covered under the additional 1-year/12,000 miles of bumper-to-bumper and/or the federal emissions warranty. Since I drive 30,000 miles/year, the warranty mileage is more useful to me than the years.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
That would be covered under the additional 1-year/12,000 miles of bumper-to-bumper and/or the federal emissions warranty. Since I drive 30,000 miles/year, the warranty mileage is more useful to me than the years.
federal emissions warranty covers essentially nothing. thats been the issue.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
3 ppl have driven my car, and within a month bought one.

i was as honest/pessimistic with them as i am being with you.

if you go in, go in with eyes open at the possibilites...its not that every car will be a nightmare, but your car might be.

im looking to be fully deleted by the end of the year.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts