Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Would you reccomend buying a Cruze Diesel?

7692 43
Hey everyone,

Currently I own a 2012 Mazda3 hatchback. I have a lengthy commute (~40 miles each way, 80% highway) and make a monthly trip from Chicago to Minneapolis to visit my boyfriend in grad school. This means my Mazda already has 110k miles over about 3.5 years of driving. I love the reliability and handling -- I've only had to do routine maintenance so far.

However, I also have a joint condition and after 3 years the car is wearing on me. The characteristics that make the car so fun means the steering is heavy at times (and make my elbows and hands ache some days) and the ride can be harsh (hard on my neck and back). I'm a part time grad student myself, and would love to find a car that doesn't leave me feeling beat by the end of the day so I can focus on my studies.

The Cruze has gotten great reviews for having a smooth, quiet ride, and I like the personality and fuel economy of the diesel engine. However, the diesel reliability is a bit worrisome based on some of the posts here.

Whatever I buy for my next car, I want to make sure it's a decision I can stick with long-term. Are my concerns about reliability overblown? Has the parts availability issue been resolved?
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That's what I was going to ask. The last Cruze diesel was 2015. There is none for 2016. 2016 is a transition year for the Cruze between the 1st Gen (2016 Cruze Limited) and the 2nd Gen (2016). The diesel is expected to come back for 2017, but I certainly wouldn't expect it until fall at the earliest.

I don't know as you can find a new 2014/2015 diesel at this point. If you're going used, then all the issues of buying used comes into play.

The real key to the Cruze seem to be finding a good dealer that can take care of the problems. It doesn't have the be the same one you buy it from.
There are actually a few new 2015 Cruze Diesels within 500 miles of me, at least according to Cars.com. How many of those ads are true, I don't know. I suspect some dealers are lazy and forget to take down sold inventory. Others are probably shady and keep listing their sold inventory on the chance that someone might come into the showroom and buy something else.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
3 ppl have driven my car, and within a month bought one.

i was as honest/pessimistic with them as i am being with you.

if you go in, go in with eyes open at the possibilites...its not that every car will be a nightmare, but your car might be.

im looking to be fully deleted by the end of the year.
I appreciate the honest feedback. I'm kind of a tree hugger, so I'd keep the emissions equipment :).

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
The CPO warranty of 6 years or 100k is new, that part I like for sure.

· Registered
110 Posts
I've had my CTD for 1 year and 6 months now. My ride to work is around 40 miles one way and is mostly highway...this car has been perfect for me and I enjoy this car more than any other car I've owned so far...the fuel mileage has exceeded my expectations easily getting 10 to 15 miles more per gallon than my Honda Civic or Elantra got on the highway and around the same or slighty better in local driving... and diesel fuel has been the same price or cheaper than gasoline here in Delaware for nearly the last year so this CTD is saving me money with fuel....I love the engines torque and how solid feeling and quiet the car is at highway speed...just found out that the radio system fully supports my newest iPod showing what the iPod shows on it's display on the radio screen...not just files numbers, but the same graphics as the iPod... and car auto buttons control the iPod...very cool...my other car that was only one year older couldn't do that...anyways...my car has performed flawlessly and I hardly ever notice a regen with my car and the regen is simply a non issue for me. I love this car and it's a keeper for me...and that comes from someone who has traded off quite a few almost new cars for something newer. Are there things that I don't like ?...sure but mostly just nic pick things like I wish the steering wheel and heater controls were reversed and I wish GM could had fiqured a way to have a spare tire.

· Registered
355 Posts
I think you're an ideal candidate for the CTD. If you're concerned take a look at the Gen 2 LT Automatic.
I had a MKIV Volkswagen (Golf R32) before my Mazda. It broke a handful of times per year, and each repair was at least $1,000. As long as the Cruze reliability and repair cost is better than that, I'll be happy.

The "easy" answer to my problem is a Toyota Camry. But I can't bring myself to drive a boring penalty box. I figure the Cruze Diesel at least has some personality.
I love my Cruze diesel, and I am not second guessing it getting rid of it, but my girlfriend has a 2011 Camry and it really is a great car. 50,000 trouble free miles (my diesel had a check engine light and needed an O2 sensor by 9,000, and now 1,000 miles later needs a side zone alert sensor due to module failure, and baby /take care of it is a vast understatement.) The Camry is more spacious for sure, and it is pretty quick too. Really is great, comfortable, reliable, trouble free transportation. She gets as good of mileage as me too since I drive in mixed conditions most the time.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I love my Cruze diesel, and I am not second guessing it getting rid of it, but my girlfriend has a 2011 Camry and it really is a great car. 50,000 trouble free miles (my diesel had a check engine light and needed an O2 sensor by 9,000, and now 1,000 miles later needs a side zone alert sensor due to module failure, and baby /take care of it is a vast understatement.) The Camry is more spacious for sure, and it is pretty quick too. Really is great, comfortable, reliable, trouble free transportation. She gets as good of mileage as me too since I drive in mixed conditions most the time.
I know what you mean, but I don't think I could bring myself to buying a Camry. I'm a car enthusiast, like the rest of you guys. The Camry is a perfectly fine car, and as an engineer, I appreciate that it's well designed. But it's appliance for comfortably getting from Point A to Point B and lacks soul and personality.

Now a Prius Prime... I might consider one of those when it comes out.

· Registered
240 Posts
I know what you mean, but I don't think I could bring myself to buying a Camry. I'm a car enthusiast, like the rest of you guys. The Camry is a perfectly fine car, and as an engineer, I appreciate that it's well designed. But it's appliance for comfortably getting from Point A to Point B and lacks soul and personality.

Now a Prius Prime... I might consider one of those when it comes out.

The Prius Prime, out this fall, is going to be at least $5-10 K more than a CTD. >$32K . It's brand new, so don't expect Toyota dealers to discount them and in general, Prius do not do as well on highway as CTD. Better in city for sure, but not highway, particularly if you're at >70 mph. If I were just doing city, close suburban driving, Prime would be better choice, but hybrid advantages evaporate on highway driving. I've driven new Prius ( not Prime obviously) and it's " meh" as far as character. CTD is one of best highway cars I've ever driven. Quiet, torquey and stable, solid.

Ive found 10 from your area, the closest being 230 miles and most much further.......seems like there's not a lot of discounting going on now because of TDI debacle. All the cars in my area ( new) <100 miles have sold.

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,107 Posts
We've had our CTD since May 2014 - and I'd definitely buy a second one if the right opportunity presented itself.

Prius? Garbage. No thanks. Toyota quality has tanked in the last half a decade or so - lot of cost cutting, the interiors are junk, the body structures (I'm a BIW engineer) are old and disappointing. They rely on the fact that people will just buy them without question - and unfortunately, that is the case.

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Welcome to the forum @BUJonathan Wow, i am gone for a day and so many responses! I have 172K miles on my Cruze diesel and it's my favorite car out of many cars (over 80) that I have owned including high end cars. I would not hesitate to recommend one to anybody. They are not perfect, but based on my experience, they are great, well built cars.

If you have some time, I did some detailed writeups at each major milestone.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-g...sion/151073-150k-miles-2014-cruze-diesel.html

Reactions: BUJonathan

· Registered
135 Posts
even scarier

why did PO get rid of low mileage car?....everything was great? doubt it.

if the CPO comes with free loaner, fine...otherwise run away
I bought my Cruze new for $28000 Out the door with extended waranty. 2 years later it is worth $14250. OP, buy a used one and drive straight to fleece and delete all the Emission BS. You will have a fast fun car that gets 50 MPG and will last years and years.

· Registered
319 Posts
I bought my Cruze new for $28000 Out the door with extended waranty. 2 years later it is worth $14250. OP, buy a used one and drive straight to fleece and delete all the Emission BS. You will have a fast fun car that gets 50 MPG and will last years and years.
We got our fully loaded 14 CTD out the door for under 22k. Just gotta wait until the end of the year when they're about to release next years model, they'll give you all kinds of discounts and incentives trying to clear space for the new model.

But yeah, the emissions is my only worry with this car for long term reliability. I'll run it until it starts giving me problems emissions wise, then delete all that crap. If it gives me problems at all.

· Premium Member
3,909 Posts
I have had a 2012 CTD in Australia since new and now at nearly four years of ownership it has been trouble free. I came home from a 3 day trip on Saturday and travelled to a town 400km away and got back home again on one tank of fuel. I don't have DEF and regens go mostly unnoticed. It is a different engine to what the US uses but still a 2.0L diesel. I am also fortunate enough to have room for a full size spare tyre.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Welcome to the forum @BUJonathan Wow, i am gone for a day and so many responses! I have 172K miles on my Cruze diesel and it's my favorite car out of many cars (over 80) that I have owned including high end cars. I would not hesitate to recommend one to anybody. They are not perfect, but based on my experience, they are great, well built cars.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-g...sion/151073-150k-miles-2014-cruze-diesel.html
Diesel, thanks for the link and the warm welcome. It'll be some good afternoon reading!

· Registered
817 Posts
Yes, without question. Just passed 75k on mine and it has been trouble free minus one issue the dealer caused.

Like, diesel I have had MANY cars and usually get bored with them quick. For some reason this car I bought as purely a commuter/daily/beater won me over and I plan on keeping it.

I do have my eye on a Volt now that my commute went from 88 miles a day to about 10.

Diesel will still be parked in the driveway though.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

@diesel, I finally got around to reading your thread. It looks the car has been reliable, and most of the issues with the emissions equipment are related to the software programming and not the actual equipment. I was pleasantly surprised to see you're still on the original DPF at 173k miles!

Do you think it would be worth waiting a year for the 2017 Cruze diesel? I would hope they have more of the emissions issues worked out for the next generation.

· COTM Winner
7,107 Posts
I think it's worth waiting the few months (or however long it ends up taking - I'm being optimistic) to see what the new one will do, fuel economy-wise. Then make your assessment from there. Regardless, it'll be likely you'll see some of the 1st gen models go onto the market when their owners buy a 2nd gen.

Reactions: BUJonathan

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I think it's worth waiting the few months (or however long it ends up taking - I'm being optimistic) to see what the new one will do, fuel economy-wise. Then make your assessment from there. Regardless, it'll be likely you'll see some of the 1st gen models go onto the market when their owners buy a 2nd gen.
That's actually a good suggestion. Perhaps the next Cruze will offer Lane Keep Assist with diesel? I think that would be a great combo for me.

· COTM Winner
7,107 Posts
If it follows the Gen 1 theme - it will be equal to/above the Premier - meaning that would be an optional feature.

I'm hoping that they offer the diesel on more than just a range-topping trim level to expand sales. Regardless, there should be a trim level with the diesel that gives you lane-keep assist.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.