Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Would you reccomend buying a Cruze Diesel?

7692 43
Hey everyone,

Currently I own a 2012 Mazda3 hatchback. I have a lengthy commute (~40 miles each way, 80% highway) and make a monthly trip from Chicago to Minneapolis to visit my boyfriend in grad school. This means my Mazda already has 110k miles over about 3.5 years of driving. I love the reliability and handling -- I've only had to do routine maintenance so far.

However, I also have a joint condition and after 3 years the car is wearing on me. The characteristics that make the car so fun means the steering is heavy at times (and make my elbows and hands ache some days) and the ride can be harsh (hard on my neck and back). I'm a part time grad student myself, and would love to find a car that doesn't leave me feeling beat by the end of the day so I can focus on my studies.

The Cruze has gotten great reviews for having a smooth, quiet ride, and I like the personality and fuel economy of the diesel engine. However, the diesel reliability is a bit worrisome based on some of the posts here.

Whatever I buy for my next car, I want to make sure it's a decision I can stick with long-term. Are my concerns about reliability overblown? Has the parts availability issue been resolved?
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
@diesel, I finally got around to reading your thread. It looks the car has been reliable, and most of the issues with the emissions equipment are related to the software programming and not the actual equipment. I was pleasantly surprised to see you're still on the original DPF at 173k miles!

Do you think it would be worth waiting a year for the 2017 Cruze diesel? I would hope they have more of the emissions issues worked out for the next generation.
If you've driven one of the first gen diesels and like it, I don't think you can go wrong. There have been a few part upgrades to the gen 1 diesels, but none of those were problematic on my car. It may be related to the type of driving I do. That being said, I plan on buying a second gen at some point, but will probably continue to rack up the bulk of the miles on my gen 1.

· Registered
4 Posts
7 month owner: (others such as @diesel have a LOT more miles and experience than I do)..................

Likes: Fuel mileage, torque , passing power, braking (CTD has larger brakes than std Cruze), comfort (some dont like front seats, BUT I find them great on trips), WS view, easy to see out of, few if any blindspots, quiet at speed (can hardly hear that engine hummmmmmmm (old Mazda joke) , decent stereom wi-fi is nice, On Star a plus, great in cross winds and windy conditions, no tramlining (following grooves in road), truckers give it big thumbs up when they know its a diesel (mine is badged), when fuel mileage is good, not many stops for fill-ups,

Dislikes: getting in and out of, car sits low, frequent regens (for me anyway) can become annoying and with resultant loss of fuel mileage, where you live in Chi-Town, like only to find bio diesel which currently is about 40 cents less than regular fuel; need to get a Scan Gauge II if you want to "really" monitor the car ($150.00); fear of long-term reliability with CELs, DEF tank issues,
Any updates to how it’s been?

· Registered
4 Posts
I've had my CTD for 1 year and 6 months now. My ride to work is around 40 miles one way and is mostly highway...this car has been perfect for me and I enjoy this car more than any other car I've owned so far...the fuel mileage has exceeded my expectations easily getting 10 to 15 miles more per gallon than my Honda Civic or Elantra got on the highway and around the same or slighty better in local driving... and diesel fuel has been the same price or cheaper than gasoline here in Delaware for nearly the last year so this CTD is saving me money with fuel....I love the engines torque and how solid feeling and quiet the car is at highway speed...just found out that the radio system fully supports my newest iPod showing what the iPod shows on it's display on the radio screen...not just files numbers, but the same graphics as the iPod... and car auto buttons control the iPod...very cool...my other car that was only one year older couldn't do that...anyways...my car has performed flawlessly and I hardly ever notice a regen with my car and the regen is simply a non issue for me. I love this car and it's a keeper for me...and that comes from someone who has traded off quite a few almost new cars for something newer. Are there things that I don't like ?...sure but mostly just nic pick things like I wish the steering wheel and heater controls were reversed and I wish GM could had fiqured a way to have a spare tire.
Any updates has it survived?

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.