Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I regapped my spark plugs & ripped one of my spark plug boots. it only has 7200 miles 2014 ltz where do I buy one? or one close to it w/o buying the whole coil setup. PS my plugs were @ .25 now @ 30

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Wow I believe you did do that . How bad man ?
The heat does that to the boot that surrounds the coiled spring and sticks to the plugs .. you have to lube the boots up prior to reattaching to the spark plugs ..1 more thing you mùst make sure the springs rebound fully to a extended position in the boots for a correct contact patch to your spark plugs . As for where you may purchase just a boot for the coil pack .I really could not tell you where to start looking other than a dealer .

Is the whole assembly serviceable at this time . If so try assembling eveything .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did the same thing to mine and ended up having to buy a whole new ignition coil, so now I just have extra boots just in case. I tried to take the Autolite boot option, but none of the O'Reilly's in my area had them in stock and couldn't order them either. Lesson learned for me. Ordered my replacement from Amazon and it was identical to the one from the factory.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Just curious but has anyone ever tried repairing a torn boot with something like superglue?
Superglue would not hold up to the heat, thought here might be some product out there that would work. Better yet why hasn't some aftermarket company stepped up to make a replacement boot? Can buy them for the 2.2 ecotec in my 2004 cavalier for about $3 a piece at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
381 Posts
you could possible try a high temperature silicone adhesive to fix it. Or go search the web for one. You might even find it cheaper than amazon.

I have had no issue with removing mine, I just slowly pull up with both hands and it comes off with no problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just curious but has anyone ever tried repairing a torn boot with something like superglue?
I was in the same situation a while back. Torn boot and was waiting for new coil rail to come in.

I still needed to drive the car but with the torn boot, it misfired hard and went into limp mode.

I ended up wrapping the boot in electrical tape and that was enough to get me through. I had to open if up and retape it though frequently as it would spark through the tape.

It was a very temporary fix while waiting for the new one.

·
Super Moderator
7,818 Posts
I was in the same situation a while back. Torn boot and was waiting for new coil rail to come in.

I still needed to drive the car but with the torn boot, it misfired hard and went into limp mode.

I ended up wrapping the boot in electrical tape and that was enough to get me through. I had to open if up and retape it though frequently as it would spark through the tape.

It was a very temporary fix while waiting for the new one.
Great MacGyver "field repair" Jeremi. Thank you for sharing it.

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
Great MacGyver "field repair" Jeremi. Thank you for sharing it.
Indeed. Beats taking the bus to work for few days waiting for the part. Note that not all electrical tapes are the same. Better ones have a higher voltage breakdown and layering can increase that. (Of course there's a upper limit as to how much you can layer on.) But it's something to keep in mind for emergency field repair.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts