Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings Group! This is my first post.

Two weeks ago I bought a 2012 Cruze LT RS and I've owned a 2011 Equinox for about six months. Both keys look the same and I inadvertently put the Equinox one in the Cruze one stupid morning (which I am prone to have sometimes). The key went in fine but wouldn't turn (to be expected) but what I didn't expect was that I wouldn't be able to get the key out without several good yanks (and I don't mean those from south of the border).

I did get it get but was initially afraid that I had damaged something beyond repair. My dealer said that they had never heard of anybody that had done that but it is a security feature that when the wrong key is tried in the ignition it clamps down on the key to prevent removal. I asked, "What was I supposed to do in that situation, have it towed here to have it removed?" They said, "I guess so".

I can't imagine this being a designed feature. It doesn't make sense. Simply knowing that the wrong key won't start the vehicle is enough. Why make so that I can't get the key out?

Any idears?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts

Two weeks ago I bought a 2012 Cruze LT RS and I've owned a 2011 Equinox for about six months. Both keys look the same and I inadvertently put the Equinox one in the Cruze one stupid morning (which I am prone to have sometimes). The key went in fine but wouldn't turn (to be expected) but what I didn't expect was that I wouldn't be able to get the key out without several good yanks (and I don't mean those from south of the border).

I did get it get but was initially afraid that I had damaged something beyond repair. My dealer said that they had never heard of anybody that had done that but it is a security feature that when the wrong key is tried in the ignition it clamps down on the key to prevent removal. I asked, "What was I supposed to do in that situation, have it towed here to have it removed?" They said, "I guess so".

I can't imagine this being a designed feature. It doesn't make sense. Simply knowing that the wrong key won't start the vehicle is enough. Why make so that you can't get the key out?

Any idears?

Thanks in advance,

Randy
I'm pretty sure there is a slot you can insert a screwdriver or something alike into, if you remove the plastic under the steering wheel that will properly release the key....I think. It's also how you remove the key when the car is dead as well....I think haha

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I imagine that I could figure it out myself from what Anthony said if it happens again but the average owner would have no option but to have his car towed to a dealer to get the key removed. That's dumb designing in my book. I'd sure like to hear an explanation from a GM/Chevrolet representative as to how this feature benefits me.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I say jammed, but I was just using it as an exciting word. I know you just put it in, and you tried to turn it but couldn't, and then it didn't want to let it go.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I can't imagine this being a designed feature. It doesn't make sense. Simply knowing that the wrong key won't start the vehicle is enough. Why make so that I can't get the key out?

Any idears?

Thanks in advance,

Randy
Hey Randy I'm actually in this predicament right now lol how did you get your key out? I'm giving this key a few good yanks myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Randy I'm actually in this predicament right now lol how did you get your key out? I'm giving this key a few good yanks myself.
I feel your angst Edward. In my case, fortunately the key would come out 2/3 of the way so I was able to get a pair of vice grips on it and by using a flat head screwdriver, pry between the lock cylinder and the vice grips. It came out quite easily that way and I haven't had a problem since. My thinking at the time was that I had to get it out and if I broke the lock in the process so be it. It's about $300CAD to replace it. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel your angst Edward. In my case, fortunately the key would come out 2/3 of the way so I was able to get a pair of vice grips on it and by using a flat head screwdriver, pry between the lock cylinder and the vice grips. It came out quite easily that way and I haven't had a problem since. My thinking at the time was that I had to get it out and if I broke the lock in the process so be it. It's about $300CAD to replace it. Good luck.
...and welcome to the group. 😀

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't pull too hard on the fob. The part that connects the actual key to the fob is made of white metal and will break easily.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you get the key out Edward?

·
Super Moderator
6,967 Posts
Welcome Aboard! (y)

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

(moving thread to Gen1 Appearance, Body, Detailing, & Interior from Introductions)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts