Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
18k miles on my Cruze 100% trouble free, add a gallon of DEF every oil change. Got a quote to change fuel filter, GM dealer wants 125$ and BS excuses to install it.

I run a 2 micron Cat fuel filter on my Duramax race tuck that I buy for $15 a piece. I don't know what the stock Cruze micron rating is, but Im not going to pay 65-125$ for a freaking fuel filter. Is there any other options that we have?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I believe I read the filter has a sensor in it which is why the price is out of line. That's also the reason it can tell you when it needs changing so your not doing it more often than you need to.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Someone posted a video about the filter an while back, and I was duly impressed. Look for that thread if you're interested. It's quite sophisticated and there are no short cuts. It is not an ordinary filter and it is worth the money. I've been running well over 40K miles on my filters with zero issues. The dealer should offer you 30% wholesale discount if you ask nicely.

The car will tell you when it's time to change. Don't let the dealer try to talk you into changing before necessary.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Someone posted a video about the filter an while back, and I was duly impressed. Look for that thread if you're interested. It's quite sophisticated and there are no short cuts. It is not an ordinary filter and it is worth the money. I've been running well over 40K miles on my filters with zero issues. The dealer should offer you 30% wholesale discount if you ask nicely.

The car will tell you when it's time to change. Don't let the dealer try to talk you into changing before necessary.
This is the same fuel filter used in the Hummer. It includes the water separator and fuel heating element to prevent freezing in the winter. It's big and probably overkill but it does it's job well.

·
Registered
228 Posts
$125 for a fuel filter sounds like a decent price at a dealer. I had a dealer quote me roughly $280 for the filter and install. Found another one that only charged the $125, which is barely more than the fuel filter itself costs (GM product).

·
Registered
15 Posts
..... I've been running well over 40K miles on my filters with zero issues.

I'm seeing a 30,000 mile fuel filter change interval in the manual. Are you stretching the interval to 40K or did you get a message on the information center?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I'm seeing a 30,000 mile fuel filter change interval in the manual. Are you stretching the interval to 40K or did you get a message on the information center?
the DIC counts it down...its 1000 gallons lifespan...mileage on cars is gonna vary due to fuel economy variations.

mine was 2% yesterday, changed it cuz i was already doing the oil change so had it elevated....41xxx miles for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for some advice, currently working on a cat fuel filter swap. Going to tie in just before the cp3 via quick connects. 2 micron filter and $12. I win.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
thanks for some advice, currently working on a cat fuel filter swap. Going to tie in just before the cp3 via quick connects. 2 micron filter and $12. I win.
Does that have a water separator? If not, DON'T DO IT. If you get even a drop of water through the system, your $100 savings have just turned into a $,$$$ or possibly even $$,$$$ repair bill. Seriously, why would you worry about an $80 filter every 40K+ miles on a $25,000 car?

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
Love to know the torque value for the fuel filter.

Snap-on just dropped off the socket - and I need to do my filter after I'm back from Lordstown.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts