·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a kijiji ad. Kind of like craigslist.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Text in all caps, not much of a description as to how it works. We are getting Netflix, but have to pay for it around ten bucks per month. Netflix is worthless without a high speed internet connection.

Where are they getting this signal from?

Still learning, learning never quits.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
AHHH Yea well do they have an actual website? Cause everything about that screams gimmick and sell you a box that doesnt work

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
You can make your own XBMC box very cheaply, probably one of the easier ways is a Raspberry Pi2 kit from Amazon. it comes with a micro SD card which has a few different OS you can choose from on initial setup, one being XBMC/KODI.

Amazon.com: CanaKit Raspberry Pi 2 Complete Starter Kit with WiFi (Latest Version Raspberry Pi 2 + WiFi + Original Preloaded 8GB SD Card + Case + Power Supply + HDMI Cable): Computers & Accessories

A video like this one below shows how to set it up, but this video assumes you need to get the microSD card setup as well. With the kit above the first probably 8 minutes of the video are already done for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTJaJwd3IEc

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
XMBC is the open source competitor to things like Roku, Apple TV, etc. Put "XMBC" into eBay and you'll have a ton of things to pick from - including Android powered versions. Bottom line, if you can watch it on a computer, you can watch it on this box. And, via eonline.com, it looks like your GF can watch her show.

The question is what sports do you want to watch? That's usually the downfall of these devices. Sports tends to still be tied to cable packages.

Edit: If I was to buy one, I think I'd go with the G-Box MX2.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
None. I don't watch sports. Only Netflix.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll price that one up in Canada. Thank you.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
I've got four I built myself..... A bit quirky so be prepared for tweaking and occasional reloading of stuff. And streaming TV and sports needs to be redone from time to time so its not for someone without computer skills.
Video quality of 95% of the free offerings are all significantly below cable quality....in fact a lions hare aren't even standard definition quality.....unless you pay for services like HULU or a number of others.

I supplement my cable tv offerings with it.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
None. I don't watch sports. Only Netflix.

If you only watch netflix I would probably just buy a chromecast or Nexus player type device. Chromecast is great for $35 but requires a PC/laptop, phone or tablet with apps to use it. I like the simplicity of the google player since I just turn it on and use a remote. Still use my old PS3 for watching netflix in another room since again I can do everything with a remote.

I watch way to much stuff on netflix, at least a few hours every day.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only way gf will discontinue the cable is to have access to E!

Just so you know my cable bill is $160 right now and in a couple months it will be $220 once the promo is over.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
For that kind of money you could buy everything you want on blueray, including seasons of shows and come out ahead. I was only paying $80 a month for cable when I ditched them in 2008, Saving me $6720 to date! I was the same way when I first cut the cord I did not want to loose even one show. Now I get more than enough content from OTA(Antenna TV), Bluray, Netflix, Youtube, and torrents.

I have way more fun with that money every month than I ever did paying for TV.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
If all you want to do is watch Netflix. You are better off with an Amazon Fire HD TV box or a Roku 3 box (not all the lesser Roku's do 1080p resolution) Both of those are $100 o less and both are far more stabile. And they both do Netflix far better.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The Ultimate Server Part 1 - Getting Started — Cutting Cords

That article above details step by step how to setup a killer home server. No cable needed, automatically will download any TV shows I enter along with movies. You can even set it up for music as well.

I stream everything I have on my server through Plex to a Roku and an Amazon Fire TV.

My Amazon Fire TV has Kodi sideloaded FWIW. You can use the Kodi app to stream TONS of stuff, but the quality and reliability of having stuff on your own server is WAY better. Plus as someone else stated you don't want to mess with Kodi unless your tech savy, it's always messing up and needed to be reinstalled, edited, fixed, etc. I RARELY use it.

I have never paid for cable and I never will. Everything (unless it's older) is all HD and 5.1 surround.

My mom, brother, and 5 friends also all stream from my server on thier Roku's by using the Plex app.

Honestly, buy a Roku and set up the server like described above and you will be set.

Spend the money and subscribe to usenet as well, torrents are a pain and lead to ISP warning for infringement unless you have a VPN.

Once it's setup, its effortless.

Any questions, PM me.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have a Roku for streaming stuff. I have a cheap PC running Kodi for all my media. I also subscribe to Sling TV ($20/month) which gets me ESPN 1 and 2, CNN, TNT, TBS, etc. Netflix brings my monthly bill to $27 total. I also have an antenna for ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and PBS.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Spend the money and subscribe to usenet as well, torrents are a pain and lead to ISP warning for infringement unless you have a VPN.
Get an invite to a private tracker, have not ever got any letter from any ISP I have ever used. My torrent software is setup to download all my shows automatically via RSS feeds, all I need to do is watch TV. This setup works great with my plex server.

I also do not ever download any movies that are new released or in theater, I only use it to download TV shows. If I want to watch a movie I will buy a bluray or buy the movie on google play.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Get an invite to a private tracker, have not ever got any letter from any ISP I have ever used. My torrent software is setup to download all my shows automatically via RSS feeds, all I need to do is watch TV. This setup works great with my plex server.

I also do not ever download any movies that are new released or in theater, I only use it to download TV shows. If I want to watch a movie I will buy a bluray or buy the movie on google play.
Got an invite handy? With Usenet I only use Torrents for backup.

I get movies as well I just have the settings set to not download CAM rips and other junk releases.

The program I use for TV shows operates off of RSS feeds as well. Most of my shows are downloaded within an hour of airing in HD.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts