Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the forums though I have been a long time lurker. I have a 2014 cruze and have visited here frequently looking at snow tire threads (which have been extremely helpful). Last winter I got Michelin xi3 tires and couldn't believe how well my cruze drove in the snow (except in anything over a foot, obviously). This year, when getting an oil change at Big O tires in the summer they told me my regular tires were terrible and had very little tread, and had advised I put on the snow tires in October instead of November (I live in Evergreen, CO so we get unexpected snow even in September), so I had the snow tires put on in mid October. Well, it's been an unseasonably warm fall and the temperatures have consistently been in the 60s/70s during the day. I'm worried I've damaged the tires with the warm weather, is this a possibilty? This will be my second season with them, and I'm hoping for a third but after driving them so much in the warmer temps I'm worried they'll be too worn down after this winter. Thanks -Sara

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
First off welcome. How many miles are on them? For what you are talking about is typically why people would keep 2 sets of tires. One Winter and one other than winter: That was back in the days of rear wheel drive cars where you only had 2 tires to change. There is really no way of telling how much longer they will be good for snow tires except the tread. Tires don't get picky and say well she drove me during the summer and non snow related conditions so I am taking this winter off. It is going to be a matter of how well the tread is holding up and how many miles you have put on them. FYI I still have my stock Eco wheels/tires on and don't change them for the seasons of course we have had some mild winters as of late.Hope that helps some.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,787 Posts
We run the Xi3s on ours, and last year we definitely had some pretty warm days after I initially put them on. The Xi3 is a very good tire - and it seemed to handle the warmer-than-optimal temperatures without incurring too much extra wear. This will be our third season on the tires, and they still have plenty of tread left.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
winter tires should be used at 45f and under, regardless of snow/ice/road wet/dry

rubber acts different at different temps

winter tire rubber is different than other tire rubber

hotter than 45f, theyll wear faster, that is technically damaging them, but thats the extent of the damage.

theyll feel more squirrely than a/s at higher temps, but you gotta figure out the temps youre gonna deal with

i have the studded tires on my cruze and two jeeps now, its been 65f in the day and 20f at night...but temp could drop any day and foot of snow could show up tmmw.

its a trade off

here we have to have winter tires on oct 1 to apr 1 or the cops wont let you thru the passes if they got a checkpoint up, and good luck with your car insurance if youre at fault at dont have the winter tires on.

i believe once anyone actually tries a modern winter tire, they wont go back.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
I seriously doubt that you have damaged the tires but as the others have stated, temperature and SPEED will have an effect on tire wear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check Tire Pressure - Low Pressure cause addition wear

We have used Michelin's Xi3 for several seasons (6) and they are usually on from late October to late April in a variety of temperatures and suffered no long term issues on a Chev Cavalier until we bought our 2015 Cruze last year. They still have about half their tread left although the car was used daily - most journeys where less than 50 km daily. My Xi1 on my Dodge Caravan last 7 seasons and where still going strong when we sold it. So as most have said " temperature and SPEED will have an effect on tire wear."
One tip I can give is keep them correct inflated (even if you have
TPMS) to correct pressure for you car and remember for ~ 10 F drop in temp your pressure decreases by 1 lb - thus affecting tire wear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the very late reply, was without internet for a bit. Thank you so much for the responses! Very helpful. I think I have about 8-10,000 miles on them and I drive about 40 minutes to and from work, mainly on highways going about 70. Getting a snowstorm in a couple days so I'll see if they still perform as well as they did last year, but I'm not quite as worried now about the possible damage from warmer temps :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts