Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few short weeks I was warned by one of my customers at Autozone about the only flaw the Cruze has, No Regen Light. He has a 14 cruze and I have a 15, we talk for a while about the cars and he told me about how his wife had interrupted regen too many times by mistake and how the car had to be towed to the dealer. So in fear of that ever happening to me I decided to find a monitor. Not only did I find a monitor but this thing is amazing, it changes the way you drive. I bought a brand new Edge Insight CTS 2, worth every last penny. This is the first time I went through a Regen with this monitor hooked up, I took pictures on way up to PA before Regen and on my way home I went into regen, and then there is an after picture. Any questions feel free to ask, I just hope this helps a few people out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Reactions: Tomko

·
Registered
574 Posts
I been looking into that same unit. How much did you pay? I see them on eBay for about $330. Did you hook up the exhaust temp sensor? where did you place the unit too? Does this tell the temp of the transmission?

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,886 Posts
I still wish they made these in a nice round gauge I can put in the pillar...

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I been looking into that same unit. How much did you pay? I see them on eBay for about $330. Did you hook up the exhaust temp sensor? where did you place the unit too? Does this tell the temp of the transmission?
It's hooks up only to the OBDII port. The vehicle itself monitors and can display the information related to the emissions system and things like boost pressure, there's just no gauges or indicators installed to do that. A third party gauge can read all of this information and display it.

If you're looking for a cheaper alternative in a more compact form factor, have a look at the http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-chevy-cruze-diesel-general-discussion/132666-scangauge-ii.html

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I ditched my Edge CTS in favor of the smaller Scangauge II. I thought about selling my Edge CTS. I tried hooking it up to my Rover but the Rover freaked out so it just sits unused. I don't know if I even still have the box or manuals any more lol

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I ditched my Edge CTS in favor of the smaller Scangauge II. I thought about selling my Edge CTS. I tried hooking it up to my Rover but the Rover freaked out so it just sits unused. I don't know if I even still have the box or manuals any more lol
Yeah, a lot of vehicles don't like things like that. I had my local dealer tell me that they've had some cars (including Cruzes) come in with computer problems and they claim they traced it back to OBDII accessories. They said things like insurance dongles that monitor driving to save you money can cause problems. They tried to tell me that my gauge can cause problems but I didn't think much of it and am still using it with no problems.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
If only someone could figure out a way to get it into the DIC screen...but that sounds more impossible than it should be.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Yeah, a lot of vehicles don't like things like that. I had my local dealer tell me that they've had some cars (including Cruzes) come in with computer problems and they claim they traced it back to OBDII accessories. They said things like insurance dongles that monitor driving to save you money can cause problems. They tried to tell me that my gauge can cause problems but I didn't think much of it and am still using it with no problems.
That would be awfully hard for them to PROVE. I really don't believe it would be anything more than a coincidence... There are sooooo many OBDII accessories out there working fine for years and years. I could see issues with pins shorted/bent or damaged from frequent plugging/unplugging and poorly made cable connectors, but just having an OBDII accessory should not hurt the car/truck in any way!!!

Reactions: LiveTrash

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
i am just glad that the Scangauge II works flawlessly with my CTD! The Edge was fine too, but it was just too big and I never wanted to leave it exposed when I parked out in public so I had to remove and reinstall it every trip.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I still wish they made these in a nice round gauge I can put in the pillar...
Never really understood the apeal other than "I wanna see dat needle move". A perfectly fine reason, but not for me. Another reason would be if you were running your own sensors. Which are more for convenience considering modern vehicles have anything you'd ever want through the OBDII as PIDs.

What would be nice is monitoring some of the ECM's calculated values, but no such luck.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Never really understood the apeal other than "I wanna see dat needle move". A perfectly fine reason, but not for me. Another reason would be if you were running your own sensors. Which are more for convenience considering modern vehicles have anything you'd ever want through the OBDII as PIDs.
Moreso because it would be nice if it could be somewhat out of the way, mounted cleanly to the A-pillar in a pod that matches the factory color and grain, instead of something stuck to the dash.

My Cobalt has a triple pod (another ZZP pillar that looks factory), and houses two very important gauges: my mechanical boost/vac gauge and my LC1 wideband. I also have a voltmeter in there, since the factory cluster does not have one (nor does the DIC).

I wouldn't be putting gauges in just to have them, that's where it's dumb.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
99% of the time having things plugged in causes no issues, however I've seen at times they cause strange CEL to come up. Two different GM cars 10 models years apart, one using a ScanguageII the other a bluetooth dongle, both vehicles would get random ABS wheelspeed CEL codes, but only when the dongle was left plugged in for thousands of miles. Those errors never returned once unhooked.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
That's actually pretty clean. Is the SG II backlit?
Yes, multiple colors and brightness options are available as well. Cyan is the one I use. I think there's a darker blue, purple and green.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
99% of the time having things plugged in causes no issues, however I've seen at times they cause strange CEL to come up. Two different GM cars 10 models years apart, one using a ScanguageII the other a bluetooth dongle, both vehicles would get random ABS wheelspeed CEL codes, but only when the dongle was left plugged in for thousands of miles. Those errors never returned once unhooked.
Electronics in cars can just be goofy in general.

In the Cobalt, if you want to run a LED third brake light, it's best to get one out of an Impala or Monte Carlo, and mount that in there (easy to do, luckily), otherwise your cruise control won't work.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Yes, multiple colors and brightness options are available as well. Cyan is the one I use. I think there's a darker blue, purple and green.
Well an install like that makes me seriously consider it more. My wife won't use it, but I will when I'm in the car. I'm sure if I just set it to the Regen screen, she at least could keep an eye on that (she won't).

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Well an install like that makes me seriously consider it more. My wife won't use it, but I will when I'm in the car. I'm sure if I just set it to the Regen screen, she at least could keep an eye on that (she won't).
Not overly a big deal really. The chances of interrupting the regen 3 times (which is the amount I believe that sends it into limp mode and requires dealer attention) aren't very high. It's just a nice option to be able to monitor it from a relatively inexpensive unit. You can display up to 4 gauges at once on the screen with the ScanGauge II. I have Soot Mass, Regen Status, Boost PSI and Torque.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts