Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to bring this back up because I love telling people I told you so. Recent thread I was notified of on SOF...
Brian @ VT is bashing us and our intake. - Chevy Sonic Owners Forum

...and here is when I told everyone there was an issue:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/10-powertrain/34929-your-aftermarket-intake-sucks.html

You all remember that? The home depot window screen hack to filter the air moving across the MAF until we figure out a better solution? The part where I got banned from SOF for "arguing with members" in that same thread on SOF? You all remember Terry Collins reporting more consistent AFR readings on his gauge? Vincent Faltis reporting a smoother power band and a much more "driveable" car?

One of the Sonic-only intake manufacturer's (I won't name who) guys talked to me over Facebook a few months back when I told him his intake needs an air straightener and K&N filters suck. I'm not talking some piece of crap window screen; that's just a bandaid. I'm talking something like this:

HoneyComb MAF Mass Air Meter Airflow Straightener- TREADSTONE PERFORMANCE

I was told that they (who shall remain nameless) are using a K&N filter because all of the dry filters would cause too much turbulence and would skew the MAF readings. To anyone trying to design an intake out there: if your intake causes turbulence with a dry filter and you feel you are forced to use a K&N filter just to get decent fuel trims, your intake sucks. An intake design should not revolve around one filter that has been proven to pass ten times more dirt than the OE filter. Here's a novel idea: spend the extra $30 and put a proper air straightener in there so your customers have the option to use a filter that actually...well...filters.

Competition is coming from TRE very soon in the form of a properly designed intake that I can assure you vtuner will have no problems tuning. Quit acting like it's vtuner's fault that these intakes are crap. I know we all love Trifecta but let's call a duck a duck; this was not vtuner's fault.

There. Now MPFab can update their thread and say "vtuner and XtremeRevolution are bashing us and our intake."

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
The sad part is they are taking it as a personal attack, when it is really more about all aftermarket intakes for these cars, not theirs specifically.
I'll have to keep a watch out for the "competition coming soon" :)

·
Registered
2014 Cruze 1LT with Tech and Convenience Pkgs.
349 Posts
What/who is TRE?

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
What/who is TRE?
Treadstone Performance. during the previous topic I looked into this company and seen they made an intake for the cobalt SS with an air straighter installed.

BTW I'm really glad some after market company sees the importance of this, I may even get an aftermarket intake if they make one.

·
Registered
300 Posts
cork sport has been doing the same thing for mazda for years. worked quite well On my turbo cx-7.

I myself stayed away from the intake even after using the honeycomb. which was done before most on this forum and I think I even linked what I had previously used. It did make a difference but In my eyes the Intake was no where near worth it over a modified airbox with k&n.

edit: that is the exact one I purchased and actually got it from them. I did a 2.75" pipe with vibrant bend and hardware with universal maf adapter using there 3" straightener trimmed down with a knife to fit. If I remember right I drove for a few days with it while watching live data and my long term/short term fuel trim never exceeded 12% (this was a year and a half ago when we were talking about this). Not the greatest but no where near an issue for even a lean code.

keep it up xtreme

·
Banned
168 Posts
In the long running "3rd gear shudder" thread, I recently wrote a post that basically said "I told you so." That being, I told the complainer to take the automatic Cruze back to the dealer and demand a swap to a manual shift vehicle back several months ago. That is what I did almost a year ago after suffering the same many problems and thus "I told you so." It appears that you "moderated out" this post, but with all due respect, I may have forgotten to hit Post Quick Reply. But, if you did moderate out my post (which included my mantra - the automatic in the Cruze is a piece of crap), then I find it a bit ironic that you love telling people "I told you so." Just curious - did you moderate out my post on the 3rd gear shudder thread or did I forget to hit Post Quick Reply?

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the long running "3rd gear shudder" thread, I recently wrote a post that basically said "I told you so." That being, I told the complainer to take the automatic Cruze back to the dealer and demand a swap to a manual shift vehicle back several months ago. That is what I did almost a year ago after suffering the same many problems and thus "I told you so." It appears that you "moderated out" this post, but with all due respect, I may have forgotten to hit Post Quick Reply. But, if you did moderate out my post (which included my mantra - the automatic in the Cruze is a piece of crap), then I find it a bit ironic that you love telling people "I told you so." Just curious - did you moderate out my post on the 3rd gear shudder thread or did I forget to hit Post Quick Reply?
Are you aware that there are ~10 moderators on this forum that have the ability to delete posts?

Your post does not ring a bell.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
158 Posts
if i buy an air straightner like suggested and likely needed since many stock intakes come with some variation. THis needs to be placed before the maf right? and how would you attach it? would u use something like jb weld?

·
Registered
300 Posts
if i buy an air straightner like suggested and likely needed since many stock intakes come with some variation. THis needs to be placed before the maf right? and how would you attach it? would u use something like jb weld?
To hold it you really don't need anything as long as its trimmed right. I couldn't even pull it out once inserted.

This is the maf housing set-up I loved. Cork sport was some great quaility Short Ram Intake -CORKSPORT

·
Registered
158 Posts
im gonna say the worst part about those honey combs is they dont offer a size that would work for the k&n short ram intake =[

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Another issue with these intakes is the cost. Not worth 5HP and .25 MPG gain IMO. Unless someone figures out a better system with more gains and less cost then hats out there. hint hint :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
sorry to blow this thread up too but i am very interested in the matter. According to a few websites i have visited the thickness of the honey come you decide to use plays a factor into how the air flows. so you can actually mess this up more than you fix has any one seen the stock one? my vw had like 1/2 in squares cut out in the intake pre maf.

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry to blow this thread up too but i am very interested in the matter. According to a few websites i have visited the thickness of the honey come you decide to use plays a factor into how the air flows. so you can actually mess this up more than you fix has any one seen the stock one? my vw had like 1/2 in squares cut out in the intake pre maf.
This is not necessary with the stock intake. The stock intake is also designed differently than the aftermarket ones and does not need to be touched, hence the thread title referring to aftermarket intakes.

An air straightener is necessary on aftermarket intakes. There's no doubt about that. Too many problems exist with other intakes that don't have them. You will not mess up an already turbulent airflow on an aftermarket intake by installing a straightener. That much, I can guarantee you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i have a k&n one and it looks like the inside diameter of the pipe is 2.75ish i was just wondering if there is something like the honeycomb in the stock intake ive seen previous gm models have used it as one piece with the maf housing and separate from the rubber snorkel to airbox

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I never saw any of these threads before. I already have my honeycomb in. I think its funny how you try to help people and they take offense to it instead of work on resolving the issue. To me that shows weakness. I agree totally with Brian, I feel bad for him because it sounds like they trying to rally up a sonic witch hunt.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Im going to add my two cents to this. Ive posted on here a bit about the different filter types and intakes. Im currently running a K&N SRI with a AFE Pro Dry S synthetic filter and a trimmed piece of screening that wedges perfectly between the tube mounting point and heatshield. I am trifecta tuned and have Titans datalog reader. I have tested back to back datalogs of runs to confirm my suspicions. Without the screening both filters sufferered from surging and fuel trim issues especially down low. With the screening and the K&N i noticed a smoother MAF voltage curve and better throttle response down low, the AFE improved upon that both by seat of the pants and by datalog info. I am unfortunately still waiting on an update from Vince for my Catless DP/MP so I may not be perfectly dialed in. However the difference in maf voltage and airflow readings were consistent. I will note that for some reason the K&N suffered from worse fuel economy versus the AFE, and that the AFE Im using is roughly twice as large as the K&N filter.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I have tested back to back datalogs of runs to confirm my suspicions. Without the screening both filters sufferered from surging and fuel trim issues especially down low. With the screening and the K&N i noticed a smoother MAF voltage curve and better throttle response down low.

10+ years ago I removed the honey comb metal in front of the MAF on a previous car to help improve airflow. Sure at wide open throttle the car did feel a bit more powerful, however off the line takeoff was worse and rolling up to stop signs and idling the car was best described as surging.

Learned real quick what that was in place for, so it makes me wonder why all these aftermarket intake makers with all their testing could not see the benefit of installing some form of screen, bars, ect to help smooth out air flow. My guess they are looking for the highest dyno gain at wide open throttle and forgetting most people also drive at low RPM too.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts