What route would you go?

• GTX28060R WITH CUSTOM SETUP

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm replacing my turbo but figured I wanna upgrade instead of staying stock. I was going to go with BNR kit but it's discontinued and I can't wait for the new kit because I currently don't have a car. I could go ZZP Big Wheel Turbo Kit, so I'm debating on that or go custom. I understand that a custom exhaust manifold would have to be made at a machine shop and custom intake piping also and most likely a down pipe. So I have a couple questions my first would be. Is there anything else customI would need to source? What would you choose if you were in this situation? What would a good turbo be for this 1.4L engine? I am currently tuned by BNR and awaiting a reply but does anyone know if they would retune my car with this custom setup?

So far I have a few lines on machine shops in the area that would be willing to tackle the jobs for making the custom manifold and piping but any recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm currently leaning towards the Garrett GTX2860R Dual Ball Bearing Turbo it's rated for 200-400hp and 1.4-2.5L engines. I'm not sure on the turbine housing so some info on this would be great, I'm not super, super knowledgeable about turbos but I was thinking T3, .63ar, 4 bolt for the turbo housing but they also have the .82ar. I understand this is the area/radios ratio. So if I was to go with the .82ar this would allow for more exhaust gases and would be a better choice for more HP? What would be the best for the Cruze? Will this turbo spool fine? Here is a link to the page.

Garrett GTX2860R Dual Ball Bearing Turbo
https://turbokits.com/Turbo_Charger...arrett_GTX2860R_Dual_Ball_Bearing_Turbo/2356/

I also seen this one and it sounds like it might work well. Opinions?

Garrett GT3076R (aka GT30R aka GT3037) Ball Bearing Turbo
https://turbokits.com/Turbo_Charger...ka_GT30R_aka_GT3037)_Ball_Bearing_Turbo/1099/

As for the intercooler there are two I'm currently looking at. The first one is only rated for 22 PSI so that's what's making me lean towards the second one, opinions and advice welcome

Any advice and information would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it were me, my first question would be to a tuner to see if they can support what you want to do.
Yes that was the first thing I've done, they take a few days to get back to me so in the mean time I figured I'd post here and get some input. Maybe someone else has talked to badnewsracing about this and knows if it's something that they can do and are willing to do.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
12,667 Posts
Yes that was the first thing I've done, they take a few days to get back to me so in the mean time I figured I'd post here and get some input. Maybe someone else has talked to badnewsracing about this and knows if it's something that they can do and are willing to do.
Ask Jerry yourself. @[email protected]

Bad News Racing

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
Honestly, just wait a little bit more for the BNR GTX-250 to come out. That will be a game changer. It will be far better quality than the ZZP turbo and far easier to install and tune than the custom set up, not to mention cheaper and won't have the same boost threshold problems.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly, just wait a little bit more for the BNR GTX-250 to come out. That will be a game changer. It will be far better quality than the ZZP turbo and far easier to install and tune than the custom set up, not to mention cheaper and won't have the same boost threshold problems.
Honestly I would love to wait but we currently don't have a car on the road and we would like to get it back running ASAP. I've tried to get ahold of BNR to get a rough release date to see if it's possible to hold off but I have yet to hear back from them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts