Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
15,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got word from the Sonic community that ZZP has a new big wheel turbo out. Those of you unfamiliar with this, VTuner and BNR both have a big wheel turbo as well. For the sake of saving myself some time in the future trying to explain the differences, I'll post them all here.

BNR GTX14 1.4T Turbocharger Kit: ~$1600. This is the best upgraded turbo you can get your hands on, bar none. This uses a billet turbine wheel balanced to 240,000 RPM, which allows the fins to be longer and thinner, providing a substantial gain in midrange power over cast turbines. This is machined and built from a brand new OEM Garrett core.

VTuner SuperGT14 Turbo Upgrade: ~$899.00. This is the next best thing on the list. This is machined and built from a uses OEM Garrett core (and requires a $400 deposit) with a cast turbine wheel. Concerns with this is the wastegate housing crack getting too large to hold boost, which is an occasional issue with these turbos.

ZZP "Big Wheel' Turbo: Price TBD. This is the newest turbo offering with no advertised price yet. I'll explain what this one is about based on what we know so far. This is not a Garrett turbo. This is actually a Chinese turbo, made in Liaoning, China. This uses a cast turbine wheel.

If you think you're getting an incredible deal with one turbo over another, dig a little deeper. A cast wheel with a $230-$290 turbo is not going to cost much to manufacture. On the other hand, billet turbine wheels balanced to 240,000 RPM are pretty expensive to manufacture, especially when using already more expensive OEM Garrett cores. If you're looking for a turbo upgrade, ask yourself what you're willing to pay for. One of the issues we've seen with cast turbine wheels at high boost and high RPM is bearing failure and consequently turbine shaft cracking. It's pretty common with ebay (Chinese) turbos.

I'll post pictures later on in this thread to show the visual differences, but figured I'd get a thread started so you guys are aware of the technical differences. My recommendation is the BNR GTX turbo, but if cost is a serious issue, I'd at least get the VTuner turbo.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,105 Posts
We got word from the Sonic community that ZZP has a new big wheel turbo out. Those of you unfamiliar with this, VTuner and BNR both have a big wheel turbo as well. For the sake of saving myself some time in the future trying to explain the differences, I'll post them all here.

Are you going to delve into the Pro's/Con's of stock VS aftermarket as well?

·
Registered
92 Posts

BNR GTX14 1.4T Turbocharger Kit: ~$1600. This is the best upgraded turbo you can get your hands on, bar none. This uses a billet turbine wheel balanced to 240,000 RPM, which allows the fins to be longer and thinner, providing a substantial gain in midrange power over cast turbines. This is machined and built from a brand new OEM Garrett core.

VTuner SuperGT14 Turbo Upgrade: ~$899.00. This is the next best thing on the list. This is machined and built from a uses OEM Garrett core (and requires a $400 deposit) with a cast turbine wheel. Concerns with this is the wastegate housing crack getting too large to hold boost, which is an occasional issue with these turbos.

ZZP "Big Wheel' Turbo: Price TBD. This is the newest turbo offering with no advertised price yet. I'll explain what this one is about based on what we know so far. This is not a Garrett turbo. This is actually a Chinese turbo, made in Liaoning, China. This uses a cast turbine wheel.

If you think you're getting an incredible deal with one turbo over another, dig a little deeper. A cast wheel with a $230-$290 turbo is not going to cost much to manufacture. On the other hand, billet turbine wheels balanced to 240,000 RPM are pretty expensive to manufacture, especially when using already more expensive OEM Garrett cores. If you're looking for a turbo upgrade, ask yourself what you're willing to pay for. One of the issues we've seen with cast turbine wheels at high boost and high RPM is bearing failure and consequently turbine shaft cracking. It's pretty common with ebay (Chinese) turbos.

I'll post pictures later on in this thread to show the visual differences, but figured I'd get a thread started so you guys are aware of the technical differences. My recommendation is the BNR GTX turbo, but if cost is a serious issue, I'd at least get the VTuner turbo.
***I wish there was a Cruze Turbo Explained post like the PCV system explained post you did. unless I just couldn't find it in search feature.***

1 - 4 of 4 Posts