Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed it, but the included band clamp that I assume goes over the slip fit pipe is waaay too large of a diameter.

Maybe I am doing it wrong, do I stuff cotton or asbestos in there and clamp it down?

I can't get a hold of ZZP, I sent an email Sunday, called left message Tuesday, called left message 8am this morning.

Edit: Here is a picture of the type of clamp, it is described as a Band Lap-Joint. I measured the expanded portion of the pipe to be 2.375". I went to several auto parts stores to just get a regular u-joint type, but no one sells 2-3/8". Based on these images, I am not having trouble understanding how to use it, it is straight forward and the one I received is way too large.

Update 2-16-2016: I just received the correct lap joint band clamp from ZZP no charge!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Wouldn't use cotton, but maybe Unicorn mane hair would be acceptable. Anyway, good luck. How's it working so far??

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wouldn't use cotton, but maybe Unicorn mane hair would be acceptable. Anyway, good luck. How's it working so far??
How much HP will the Unicorn mane hair add? I was googling around and found a post someone said Centaur manes are cheaper and cool the exhaust much better so the muffler sounds better.

Right now running just high temp silicon at this joint. I am also running a KN panel filter in the stock box, been wanting to remove the baffle but the weather took a crap. I have been bumping up the timing in the cruise areas to regain fuel mileage. I am not sure of the difference in HP using the stock tune, with it balls out tuned, I saw it hit 240 HP on the scanner (using GM torque PID), but that was with a bit too much timing and boost so I've backed it down since; got a little carried away.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
The band clamp starts out at one diameter.....that of the larger pipe, the one that goes over the next pipe.

As you tighten it, it deforms to accommodate the smaller pipe and a 'step' becomes visible.....just like your photo of a different system.
Grade 8 bolts are generally used since you will be using a great deal of force to make the clamp deform.

So, the clamp should be fairly close to the larger pipes diameter, but will seem very loose, till deformed, on the inner pipe.

Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts