Antifreeze Smell Thread
NEWS
 

  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

    Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!
     
Page 1 of 109 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1081
Like Tree329Likes

Thread: Antifreeze Smell Thread

  1. #1
    Driver's Ed
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    49

    Antifreeze Smell Thread

    I've noticed a few threads regarding antifreeze smell emanating from the engine compartment on 1.4 liter Cruze. I thought it would be a good idea to centralize information regarding the issue.

    In my personal experience, the smell would originate from under the hood, and waft in through the windows occasionally. I've visited the dealer three times for the issue, below is the order of events:
    1. Visit one, dealer "could not duplicate"
    2. Visit two, dealer changed the coolant surge tank, smell still present
    3. Visit three, currently in progress, deal followed procedure outlined in recent TSB, dyed coolant, and cycled the engine a few times. Noted leakage coming from the timing chain cover, as the dealer explained, it is a cast piece, and as a result of a manufacturing defect, there is either a hairline crack\improper formation in the housing. The part has been replaced, and remains at the dealer for additional testing. visit began 3/16/12.


    *update 3/23, new part installed, dealer said the car was running rough, likely due to timing chain is a notch off, they ordered new gaskets, might have the car back next week sometime...sigh...disappointing

    What has everyone experienced?
    Last edited by Xenocamry; 03-25-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    cruzeman likes this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Chevy Customer Care's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    4,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenocamry View Post
    I've noticed a few threads regarding antifreeze smell emanating from the engine compartment on 1.4 liter Cruze. I thought it would be a good idea to centralize information regarding the issue.

    In my personal experience, the smell would originate from under the hood, and waft in through the windows occasionally. I've visited the dealer three times for the issue, below is the order of events:
    1. Visit one, dealer "could not duplicate"
    2. Visit two, dealer changed the coolant surge tank, smell still present
    3. Visit three, currently in progress, deal followed procedure outlined in recent TSB, dyed coolant, and cycled the engine a few times. Noted leakage coming from the timing chain cover, as the dealer explained, it is a cast piece, and as a result of a manufacturing defect, there is either a hairline crack\improper formation in the housing. The part has been replaced, and remains at the dealer for additional testing. visit began 3/16/12.

    What has everyone experienced?

    Xenocamry,
    I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you have experienced with your Cruze. I would like to look into this for you. Can you please send me a PM with your full name, address, phone number, VIN number, current mileage and the name of the dealership that your vehicle is at? I look forward to hearing back from you as well as assisting you with this issue.
    Thank you,
    Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

  4. #3
    1st Gear cruze01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Posts
    309
    I had the same smell problem, however, when the dealer changed the tank and cap it did go away. Apparently that small clear molded tube coming from under the cap was seeping vapors somehow, you could also see a line of residue under the tube leading down the side of the tank. I have not smelled antifreeze since they replaced it.

  5. #4
    Driver's Ed
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    49
    Thanks Stacy, I'll pm.you shortly

    Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using AutoGuide.com App

  6. #5
    Driver's Ed
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    49
    There's, another local cruze with the same problem as i, and the surge tank didn't fix his either.hopefully it works for you.

    Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using AutoGuide.com App

  7. #6
    Driver's Ed
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1
    I've had the same problem with my Cruze. The smell is not constant...mainly when the heater is running... and when it is very cold outside. The mechanic smelled it the second time I brought it in but has been unable to find the problem.

    They replaced the air compressor, cabin filter, and we have done the dye test. They have been unable to find a leak. We have spoke with Chevy and they had an engineer come out and have been unable to duplicate the problem.

    The dealerships have been told not to replace any parts unless they find a leak. They are working on a solution. They had my car for 4-5 weeks... mechanic was very nice... but I told him that just because Chevy can't figure out the problem doesn't mean that I should have to smell it. I'm sure that it can't be very healthy to smell this.

  8. #7
    Driver's Ed
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    49
    Yea, I may have gotten lucky, and they took it out cold day.

    I should have my car back tomorrow, hopefully

  9. #8
    Driver's Ed
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2
    I took my car in for the same problem, they told me it was new car smells.... that magically appear 10 months after the car has been owned...

  10. #9
    Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Chevy Customer Care's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    4,145
    Quote Originally Posted by patty1671 View Post
    I've had the same problem with my Cruze. The smell is not constant...mainly when the heater is running... and when it is very cold outside. The mechanic smelled it the second time I brought it in but has been unable to find the problem.

    They replaced the air compressor, cabin filter, and we have done the dye test. They have been unable to find a leak. We have spoke with Chevy and they had an engineer come out and have been unable to duplicate the problem.

    The dealerships have been told not to replace any parts unless they find a leak. They are working on a solution. They had my car for 4-5 weeks... mechanic was very nice... but I told him that just because Chevy can't figure out the problem doesn't mean that I should have to smell it. I'm sure that it can't be very healthy to smell this.


    patty1671,
    I understand your frustration with this issue. I would like to look into this further for you. Can you please send me a PM your full name, address, phone number, VIN number, current mileage and the name of the dealership that you have been working with? I look forward to hearing back from you.
    Thank you,
    Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

  11. #10
    Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Chevy Customer Care's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    4,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzergal View Post
    I took my car in for the same problem, they told me it was new car smells.... that magically appear 10 months after the car has been owned...


    Cruzergal,
    I understand that this issue is frustrating and I would like to look into this further for you. Can you please send me a PM your full name, address, phone number, VIN number, current mileage and the name of the dealership that you have been working with? I look forward to hearing back from you.
    Thank you,
    Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

  12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 109 1231151101 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 65
    Last Post: 03-28-2014, 01:46 PM
  2. oil smell at Idle
    By rcclockman in forum General Discussion Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-14-2014, 05:41 PM
  3. Antifreeze Smell in Cabin
    By herdiamond in forum Powertrain
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-29-2013, 11:50 PM
  4. Antifreeze Smell
    By Farmer Fran in forum Powertrain
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-15-2013, 09:29 PM
  5. Gas smell on restart??
    By pianoman in forum General Discussion Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 06:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2