Turbo or NA

• Turbo

Votes: 42 84.0%
  • Naturally Aspirated

Votes: 8 16.0%

2011 Cheverolet Cruze: Turbo or Naturally Aspirated

21K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  some_goat 
#1 ·
I'm definitely interested in picking up this car when it comes out. But I can't decide weather to shell out the extra money for the turbo version. I'm hoping you guys can help me decide.

#9 ·
Turbo?? Wow man!! Thats truly Conviencing.. Power is really an addictive thing in driving. and the with the turbo cruze is surely gonna rock higher? Where will it release first?? When?? Can anyone tell the exact date?? I am in India, so I want to know when will it hit the indian markets.

#11 ·
Looks like everyone is voting for turbo. I've owned turbo cars before but I'm just scared for the reliability. I've already blown 4 turbos in my lifetime on 2 different cars. :( But this will be the first new car I'm picking up so we'll see. If I'm picking the turbo I'm probably gonna hold off for a few more months so I have some extra money put aside for it.

#13 ·
Proud to say I'm another turbo voter here also but as long as the price increase is not too much. I know it will cost a little extra for maintenance and stuff so I don't want to shell out all my money just for that option.

Attachments

#16 ·
The turbo is the choice. Uhm I am pretty sure that the 1.8L is the one that was in the Saturn Astra
(vauxhall,opel too I would guess) and on paper that was one of the cars' weaknesses.
Not a lot of power with less that stellar economy numbers.

I actually discussed the issue of turbo reliabiltiy with one of the warranty managers when buying the car.
I stated that the turbo might be an issue as gm does not have a lot of experience with such devices.
Now I knew that one of the chevy cyclone or typhoons were turbo charged but they were never sold
north of the 49th and I think it was a pretty limited run unit wize.He mentioned that the Grand Am's
had turbocharging, I kinda scratched my heat on that one. Grand Am's???? Hunh?
About a week later I realized he meant to say Grand National. Nothing else needs to be said about the subject now.
In fact this same unit dominated Indy for quite of few years. I was also watching an edition of fifth gear
and they mentioned that the vehicle they were testing had the turbo motor from the VXR astra four pot
putting out 220hp. So they have hard current production cars using turbos for a while.

#20 ·
I actually discussed the issue of turbo reliabiltiy with one of the warranty managers when buying the car.
I stated that the turbo might be an issue as gm does not have a lot of experience with such devices.
Sounds more like you're the one that does not have much experience with such devices. GM was the first American automaker with turbo back in the Corvair days. Grand Am and Grand Prix had turbo models. Though the Grand Am turbo was limited in production the Grand Prix was mass produced.

#18 ·
...but they were engineered the "old fashioned" way -- almost like after-market bolt-on units -- rather than "integrated" as the 1.4L turbo engine has been done.

...water-cooling, oil cooling, in-exhaust manifold positioning, etc.

#19 ·
I had a 1984 Chrysler Laser with a 2.2L turbo and 5 speed manual. I purchased the car new and sold it with 245,000 miles on it. The turbo was still working fine, but the waste gate was sticking and needed to be replaced.

I never had any problems with the turbo but when I changed oil, I would disconnect a plug by the oil filter and crank over the engine until it built up oil pressure. Then I would reconnect the plug and start the engine. I don't remember exactly what the wires were for or who had told me to do this procedure but I never had any problems with the turbo.

I would get about 35 MPG at 55 MPH on the highway with that car.

#21 · (Edited)
...wasn't the "first" production turbo GM used was in the '62 Oldsmobile F-85 Turbo-Jetfire 215 cid engine?

...and used a special "Turbo-Rocket" 'water-alcohol' injection fluid to control full-throttle detonation?

#23 · (Edited)
...that 215 cid V8-engine used 10.25:1 compression ratio and produced 215 hp, or 1.0 hp-per-cid.

...our 1.4L (83 cid) I4-engine uses 9.5:1 compression ratio and produces 138 hp, or 1.66 hp-per-cid!

...I'd say that GM technology has progressed "a little" over the past 49 years.

Attachments

#25 ·
And actually the 1.4L Turbo engine in the Cruze has a lot more potential for making power. It was one of the reasons I got a Cruze.

#28 ·
...in a world facing $4-$5-per-gallon gasoline, fuel economy (MPG), not horsepower (HP), will too soon become paramount.

...what *I'd* like to see is a sub-1.0L engine producing 150 HP (that's about 10X what's needed to drive 55-60 mph) with a fuel consumption number pushing 100 MPG.

...that shouldn't be too hard to accomplish using turbo-charging, direct-injection and variable-valve lift/duration technologies--all which are available TODAY.

#29 ·
Motorcycle engines are hitting those #'s with the addition of nitrous :p I may be wrong but isn't Honda the only one still offering variable duration and lift? I'm pretty sure Toyota no longer does VVTL-i and I'm confident the big 3 don't offer it as well. I can't think of any European companies that do it either.

#30 · (Edited)
...Fiat/Chrysler on their new "Multi-Air"

...Porsche on their 913 "VarioCam"

...Ford on their 'Triton' trucks

...Mitsubishi on their diesel engines.

#31 ·
...Fiat on their new "Multi-Air"
Sweet I'll have to read up on it. I wonder if we'll see it crossover to Chrysler vehicles. Did you ever read that article in Popular Mechanics about variable displacement motors(not cylinder shut down but more of variable compression ratio)? Seemed interesting I can't remember what company was working on it though :(

#32 ·
...back-in-the-good-old-days, many of the tractor companies played around with 'true' variable-displacement engines.

#35 ·
For these little engines u better slap a turbo in them . If u ever plan on upgrading your engine this platform is preferable and already started for u .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.