Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Repost: Negative battery terminal ground wire broken at connecting tip

11719 Views 32 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Blasirl
Note: This is a repost from the Gen 1Powertrain forums as the issue is electrical wires. Apologies for the repost

I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze LT and today while cleaning the negative battery terminal with a battery brush, the ground wire that is bolted to the terminal broke off. It was very flimsy and makes me wonder how it held up all along. Can that wire be replaced without going to a mechanic and I observed it goes under the fuse box. I don’t know the exact term used for that wire, but as it is broken I am not sure I can start the car. I could not find any videos or posts where the ground wire tip broke off. Any info and part number with pointers on how to fix would be appreciated

Adding the image should make the post clearer.

I am not sure if this wire goes all the way to the alternator or is connected to the fuse at the top the battery positive terminal

1 - 3 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,127 Posts
The gauge size is what I am debating between 12-10 AWG and 22-18 AWG and is it okay to replace with a larger size than the broken connector? Would it be fine to buy a similar size gauge wire ( gauge equal to the terminal connector) to crimp in case the length is too short. The length was another factor I was doubting and your pic on where the wire leads to helps a lot.
One thought I had on this was to look for a wire that already has a terminal on it. You might need to buy something more complex and just cut off that piece. For example, I've seen some battery cables that had a small (eg, 12 gauge) wire with terminal already spliced into the cable. You could cut that section off and splice it onto the end of you broken wire and avoid dealing with crimping.

If you try to put a 22-18 gauge terminal on that wire, it may be too small. That wire is more like 12 gauge from what I can see.

My usual advice on this is to solder all connections, including the crimps. That's a sure way to avoid corrosion later affecting the crimp, or the crimp coming undone.

If you cannot solder, maybe you have a friend who can do it in exchange for a 12-pack of his/her favorite beverage.

Doug

· Registered
1,127 Posts
Fuse 13, 25A. I am guessing it is a dual element fuse. I could not find one for sale nor the part number.
From the video, I blew up the pic and got some part numbers.

Electronics Technology Electronic device Finger Electronics accessory

The 8-character (13898717) doesn't come up at the two GM parts sites I checked, but Google finds it at Amazon and eBay.

The Buss p/n on Google hits the same Amazon and eBay pages :)

The description says it's a breaker, but the mechanics of that are not clear - I don't see a lever. Perhaps the end pops out when it's thrown?

Or maybe it's the kind that times out and resets itself.

HTH.

Doug

· Registered
1,127 Posts
I searched in Amazon like '14V 25A fuse' and got a mini circuit breaker type, not sure if it has the same mechanics though
Both of these look just like the one in the video. The only downside is that I haven't seen any onesies - they're all 25-packs :(

Doug

1 - 3 of 4 Posts