Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Air Conditioner not working. Common issue?

55114 Views 19 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  newsguy99
So my wife's 2012 Cruze has just over 71,000km on it now, so well over the bumper to bumper warranty of 60k, and now the AC stopped working. Mind you she hasn't had too use it since last October when she was still under 60,000km, so something broke during the winter months.

Is the AC breaking on these car's a common issue? Were kind of pissed that we had to spend an extra $3000 just to have a Cruze with AC only to have it fail 3 summers later. And has anyone had any luck getting the dealership or GM themselves to help with the repair? Cause it kinda sucks that it broke during the winter months somehow and now when we need the darn thing its not working.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,869 Posts
Hmmm i wonder if that could be it then. Gonna have to book the car in and have them tell me whats wrong with it. $180 fee to charge the ac, test and diagnose, then quote repairs after.
Crawl under the car and look for rock damage on the condensor first. The refrigerant has a bright yellow flourescent dye that should make spotting massive leaks relatively easy.

17,869 Posts
So does every cruze model made since 2012. That shield only offers minimal protection and can actually damage the condenser over time since it rides against it. Wouldn't think plastic would wear through aluminum, but after seeing many aftermarket transmission coolers installed with a plastic tie through the radiator, I learned otherwise. There was also a user on here about 6 months ago whom had this exact ting happen(plastic shield wore a hole in condenser).

Only real way to protect the condenser is to stop rocks before they get past the grill with smaller openings. Sad part? The all new 2016+ cruze even the RS package has more grill openings that are very large in size. I would not buy one until this design flaw is addressed or a suitable aftermarket grill replacement is made.
Bottom opening is mostly blocked off with plastic on the new ones, like many new "wide mouth" cars.

17,869 Posts
Really? not the ones I was looking at, only the edge ones were fake.(both standard and RS models). Could reach my hand through the grill openings and most of that lower large grill is real.
Oh, at the very bottom, I see where you're saying it's open. Fortunately, that lower opening is faced by the intercooler on the new models.

There's a large chunk of foam at the top of the bumper (not plastic, sorry), but yeah, there is some exposed condensor there I suppose. The current ones seem to be taken out mostly at the bottom, though.

http://icdn5.digitaltrends.com/image/2016-chevrolet-cruze-top-angle-970x647-c.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.