Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,455 Posts
I know what you are talking about, the coil pack is burnt on the side of the coil, it's cracked and burnt and cooked, probably smells like an electrical fire. These guys that are trying to help you by saying " I have never heard of a coil pack burning up, it's your spark plugs" or what ever they are saying just shows they are not technicians and probably shotgun parts at cars and hope they fixed it. I have a 2014 Cruze in my shop right now for the exact same problem. We have not figured it out yet but as soon as we do I will post the fix for you and hopefully that will helps.
Not everyone on here are techs, but on average the problem is usually solved fairly quickly. As with anything on the internet, you need to weed out the chaff.

·
Administrator
13,455 Posts
I ended up replacing spark plugs with higher quality ones replaced the coil with oem and added die electric grease to the connector to make sure it has a better contact point also been putting high octane fuel. It’s been a few months, driving it every day and still good. Never found a solid cause for the problem,I checked all the harnesses around the engine and connectors. Every thing seemed to be good. Only other possible cause could be a harness around the frame that I can’t see rubbing and shorting out. If anything changes I’ll definitely post it up. Thanks
Tips to ensure no misfires occur:

Remove the coil pack. If the boots are stuck on, use a small screwdriver or pick with some dielectric grease on it to go around the outside of the boot and then possibly the inside of the boot to help aid in removal.

Remember to (p)re-gap your plugs to .028, (0.24 if tuned)

Set gap with the black portion of this tool.

To increase the gap size bend the ground strap up to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN.

Measure the gap with feeler gauges.

Throw this away.

Torque to 18 ft-lbs with no anti-seize on the threads of a stock type plug.

Ensure the boots have no rips/tears or holes in them, lightly coat them with dielectric/silicone grease and make sure the resister springs are clean and not caught up in the boots when you install them.

If the plugs look bad, consider these:

-BKR8EIX-2668 (iridium plugs), ~$25, expect ~10-15k regaps on these, ~40-50k overall life.
-BKR7E-4644 (nickel/copper plugs), ~$8, expect 15-25K out of these plugs, with a regap or two required at 5-8k intervals on stock tune.

Read Hesitation Gone! for more info on the plugs.

A good replacement coil is the MSD Blaster OEM Replacement Coilpack 8236

·
Administrator
13,455 Posts
How does the bottom of the #1 plug well look? Is there any oil down there? The 1.8's are prone to valve cover leaks which allow oil to seep into the well and short out the coil, which can damage it, as well as causing a misfire.

As I recall, the gen1 1.4T valve cover gaskets are prone to doing that, too. (Hopefully somebody with one will chime in here.)

When you swapped plugs and replaced the coil module, did you notice any oil on the #1 boot?

Doug

As far as I have seen, that usually happens on a 1.4 when the PCV valve in the manifold fails or when someone forgets the two places that form-a-gasket should be used on a replacement.

·
Administrator
13,455 Posts

·
Administrator
13,455 Posts

·
Administrator
13,455 Posts
Did you ever figure out what it was?
I have a 2012 replaced coils twice, replaced all the spark plugs, the Computer is reading that the fuel injector is fine. Ran test on everything and still popping cyl 1 and 3 misfire, heads are fine.( I mean clean no carbon build up nothing.) The solenoid valve isn’t ReAding on the computer. So what’s missing? Oh and checked the wiring. Any other suggestion and replaced the turbo. About to strip this bitch and sell it for parts.
Help! Thanks T
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Dd you read through this entire thread? There are multiple solutions for different problems with the same or similar symptoms in this thread alone and there are many more that you can search for. Take a little more time and flesh out what you have done, what codes were read and what parts were replaced as a starter.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts