Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to this thread and forum but just went through this with my 2012 Cruze 1.4 LT . Mileage 59,340, purchased new in April 2012. Took to dealership after experiencing A/C off engine running hot message, check engine light, cooling fans all on, codes PO118 and PO119, I had a leak in the water pump, #55486342, (2nd one) a faulty outlet #25193922, and cracked return hose #13251447. All repairs were covered under the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, whichever comes first. I was told by the service dept that I got in under the wire because after April, it is no longer covered. I'm told there was a redesign on both the water pump and coolant outlet. Total labor time dealer was 2.5 hours.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Is this that coolant output, you are talking about?

16 buck part at rockauto.com, easy enough to replace.

Dealer may charge around a hundred bucks an hour, but that kid doing the work is barely making over minimum. And with mechanic help wanted ads around here, has to have his own tools. Really hate to see a kid costing me a hundred bucks an hour watching the coolant dripping into a pan.

Heck of a lot easier to do it myself than to fight these guys over warranty. And I know its done right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just replaced mine on my 2012 because it had cracked. It wasn't too bad to do it myself with a 5/16" socket for the 3 bolts and a pair of pliers and a screwdriver for the 3 different types of hose clamps they use. Be prepared for all of the coolant that will come out of the block and the reservoir when you start taking hoses off. Once you have removed all of the hoses, unplugged the sensor, and unbolted it, just pull it out and swap in the new one. Make sure you get the old gasket off too because when I pulled my outlet off, the gasket stayed stuck to the side of the block. Also, be careful not to tighten down the screw-type hose clamp too much because it might cause the outlet to crack when under heat and pressure. After you fill up the reservoir, open the purge valve thing on the radiator to help get any air out and run the engine for a bit (Basically the steps found in the service manual for flushing the cooling system).

This is nowhere near professional advice, just meant to be a few tips from someone who did it himself.

·
Registered
76 Posts
71k on 2011.

was getting coolant oozing and dripping on block after car would cool down, but could not detect leaks from the outlet when car was running or recently hot. replaced the outlet tonight and tank hose, took 15 minutes.

After rinsed block and trans everything with fresh water and went for drive. i'll know tomorrow after my commute if that was the culprit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
2 days of commute, engine is dry, no residue anymore on the block or transmission. there were no traces of fluid on the block, so the old outlet must have had a crack in it.

so far, after buying car at 60k, i've changed the oil twice, replaced oring on coolant tank, intake cover, and the checkvalve bypass, a few hoses and that outlet.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
71k on 2011.

was getting coolant oozing and dripping on block after car would cool down, but could not detect leaks from the outlet when car was running or recently hot. replaced the outlet tonight and tank hose, took 15 minutes.

After rinsed block and trans everything with fresh water and went for drive. i'll know tomorrow after my commute if that was the culprit.
water outlet is a crap plastic design. they should cover it as long as you own the car as far as I am concerned. whoever thought of making this part plastic probably got a promotion.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just want everyone to know that this part is covered under the five year 100,000 mile warranty if they say it?s not then they?re just lying because I bought my 2013 cruise with no warranty with it and just take it to the dealership and initially they said it wasn?t but then I push the issue and showed them this site and they said yes it is so don?t be afraid to speak up they will fix it

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.