Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
HOW TO: Installation of the Collins Cables Big 3 Cruze Kit

Hey guys. Just wanted to throw my two sense in on this upgrade. So I did the big 3 with 4g kNU that was soldered and heat shrunk. Jacked up the car and got under it to do the alternator. So much easier, but still a touch challenging. Zip tied the new wire along the casing for the current stock wire, and ran it to the battery. Then did the grounds, those are super simple. Everything we smooth, all the connections are great, and I was happy with the install. But I still get quite a bit of headlight and taillight dim.
Here's what I have for amps/power for my audio system
Infinity kappa 4 - 100w RMS x 4 channels
Pioneer monoblock - 800w RMS @ 1 ohm
I have a Rockford fosgate 2 farad capacitor for the monoblock
I have an interstate megatron II battery (6 months old)
I am running 1/0 KNU from battery to distributor, then go to 4g KNU into the amps.

When pushing my system at 75%, there is noticeable headlight and taillight dim. No lights on the inside dim though. My only two remaining options to solve this are go with an even bigger battery, or redo the big 3 with 1/0 wire. What do you guys think?

Wanted to add in a pic of the alternator that I got from under my car. 1.4L non-turbo. Don't mind my buddies face in the corner haha...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451843920.875316.jpg

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
7 Posts
Livingfortheice, Im assuming since this post is pretty old ( 2015 ), that you have solved your diming issue, but for those who may be showing up late to the party, your issue isnt your wiring or battery, its your alternator. It was simply never designed or expected to handle simultaneous loads of that magnitude. I had a Camaro with 3 amps, 14 speakers and 2 Optima 800Us so I know what Im talking about. Upgrade to a 200+ amp alternator and Im betting it'll be fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is there any way we could get a reupload of the pictures? Great write up, just need some visuals.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,947 Posts
This installation guide applies to both the 1.4L turbo and 1.8L engines available in the Cruze. The 1.4T is covered first, followed by a slight variation that is found with 1.8L installation (thanks to Smurfenstein for the 1.8 info/pictures!)
I already have my kit installed, I'll take some pictures for SF to add.

Is there any way we could get a reupload of the pictures? Great write up, just need some visuals.

You are better of replying with a quote or PMing directly. If you don't, they might never see your question. In the meantime
"here is a link to a Youtube video that Terry made on how he installed his: How to install your big three kit. - YouTube"

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
You are better of repling with a quote or PMing directly. If you don't, they might never see your question. In the meantime
"here is a link to a Youtube video that Terry made on how he installed his: How to install your big three kit. - YouTube"
Get the Chrome browser and install this extension.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Images showed up for me after install.
Thanks! Works great

·
Epic Beard Man
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I went ahead and updated the pictures as attachments here. I don't have the last image for the 1.8 since it isn't mine and I can't access it.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Special shoutout to @Blasirl for the added pictures now found in the tutorial! If anyone else has any pictures or details to add as you do the job, feel free to let me know.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just recently did a big 3 on my 2012 Cruze with 0/1 wire and my voltage is up between 14.5 and 15 volts and after 10 to 20 minutes
I get a battery saving alarm I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and what the fix was

·
Super Moderator
6,947 Posts
The purpose of the big three is to improve the ground connections between the neg battery terminal and the engine block and the chassis. The third leg is to improve the connection between the starter and the positive terminal.

While typing that, I was thinking, did you route the ground through the hall effect ring?

I circled what I am referring too in one of Sunline Fan's original photo's. In that photo he did not run it through the ring for some reason. It needs to be there so the car knows how much of the current is being returned to the battery. It may be that the car thinks there is a problem. As my old electronics professor used to say, "The goesinta's do not equal the goesouta's".

41 - 51 of 51 Posts