Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
Blue Angel would probably be able to help us find a replacement rubber o-ring, but whether or not it would last any longer than the OEM one is doubtful.
This line is something I am planning to replace in the near future. If/when that happens I'll see if I can bring one of the OE o-rings into the lab and see what it's made of. If I'm able to determine what it is we might be able to find a suitable upgrade.

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
It looks like the o-ring end now contains a backup o-ring for a total of two sealing surfaces rather than just one. It also appears that they changed the mounting flange on that side.

Original picture poster, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the new part has a lot more going on than just some heat wrap!
The new line appears to have a whole new locating/fastening/sealing strategy compared to the old part. As XR said, replacing the entire line assembly is going to make the most sense given the part's relatively low cost and ease of replacement.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
This line is something I am planning to replace in the near future. If/when that happens I'll see if I can bring one of the OE o-rings into the lab and see what it's made of. If I'm able to determine what it is we might be able to find a suitable upgrade.
0-rings I work with are color coded as far as composition is concerned. Black=buna, brown=viton, white=teflon, red=silicone ect.

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
0-rings I work with are color coded as far as composition is concerned. Black=buna, brown=viton, white=teflon, red=silicone ect.
Are they done that way for the purpose of identification? The Viton o-ring I sourced for the surge tank is black. Up close you can tell it's got a slightly different color and texture than the Buna-N o-rings, but at arms length you'd be hard pressed to tell a difference.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Are they done that way for the purpose of identification? The Viton o-ring I sourced for the surge tank is black. Up close you can tell it's got a slightly different color and texture than the Buna-N o-rings, but at arms length you'd be hard pressed to tell a difference.
Not positive. Yes I've seen black viton o-rings too so I know it's not an industry standard, just a general guide to the most common o-rings. I tried googling for specifications on buna, butyl, viton ect but wasn't successful. I can't recall which ones are rated for higher temps which is what one should use even if GM uses a lower temp ring. Of course a metal seal would be best under turbo heat conditions.
This is the closest I came for general info.
O-Ring Materials Selection Guide

Buna is NBR and Viton is FKM. Viton has better temp characteristics as well as all around general purpose use. My bet is viton.

·
Administrator
15,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Torque specs for anyone who will be replacing this line before I get a tutorial up:

turbocharger oil feed pipe bolt: 10 Nm (89 lb in)
turbocharger oil feed pipe hollow screw: 30 Nm (22 lb ft)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
As soon as my Cruze hits 50k, I'm ordering one of those lines and replacing it. There are some things I'd rather do myself than have my dealer fix.
My next oil change will be around 45,000 miles and I will have the replacement with the heat wrapped line done at that time. Definitely worth the cost and could make your turbo last a long time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had my 2012 cruze in andy mohr Chevrolet plainfield, indiana today for turbo feed line and was told it was not covered under warranty, the part that really pisses me off is I told them the problem and showed it to service write up guy Nolan and all I wanted to know was it warranty or not he said he thought it was they take it back and tell me I owe 58$ because its not warranty unreal I don't know why it was not a warranty item I went to parts dept and bought the hose for 36.00 and come and 10 minutes later it was on sure beat the 200.00 they wanted

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I had this done my last oil change and I checked out the old one and ran a wire through it and it is was clean with no sludge. Good job Amsoil. :) Car still doesn't burn or go through a drop of oil between oil changes which so far have been once a year and around 7500 - 9000 miles. Now I wish I could say the same thing about the cooling system. If it wasn't for the cooling system on the car this car would be fricken awesome and get an A+ but since the chronic water pump issue I have to give it a C. It just blows my mind that they could have such a chronic problem on such a major system of the engine.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This o-ring leak is EXACTLY where I have a small, slow oil leak. I'm always sopping out oil in that little depression you show in the photo. It fills up maybe once a month. I'm getting it fixed today. My second leak location is less clear but it's most likely oil and it seems to be around the water pump pulley, off the the passenger side a bit. I noticed it when I changed my serpentine belt last month. Another slow leak but hopefully the dealer today will be able to tell me if it's a seal in the block or the water pump. I don't smell any coolant and the oil is caked on and very black.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Dropped off my 2012 ECO at the dealer. They were great. Nice 2016 Cruze loaner. Found three oil leaks, one major. Oil pan 'gasket' (it's not a true gasket, more of an epoxy sealer), some 'actuator' oil leak, a third at the turbo oil cooler line. All under warranty. Brought it in just in time. Last week I was driving 80 mph on the Ohio and Pennsylvania Turnpikes. I was watching the oil closely but today they had the car up on the hoist and they showed me just how much oil was blowing out. I actually like my '12 a little more than the '16 they loaned me. Best news is 'no charge' for anything. Excellent warranty so far on this car. They need to keep it overnight. Actually, I asked them to so they don't rush the job. Thanks, GM!!!

·
Patience Of Job
559 Posts
Dropped off my 2012 ECO at the dealer. They were great. Nice 2016 Cruze loaner. Found three oil leaks, one major. Oil pan 'gasket' (it's not a true gasket, more of an epoxy sealer), some 'actuator' oil leak, a third at the turbo oil cooler line. All under warranty. Brought it in just in time. Last week I was driving 80 mph on the Ohio and Pennsylvania Turnpikes. I was watching the oil closely but today they had the car up on the hoist and they showed me just how much oil was blowing out. I actually like my '12 a little more than the '16 they loaned me. Best news is 'no charge' for anything. Excellent warranty so far on this car. They need to keep it overnight. Actually, I asked them to so they don't rush the job. Thanks, GM!!!
That is awesome news glad to hear positive feedback like this from people that there dealers did them right & GM handling things!

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hey JeffBazell,

I'm so glad to hear that your dealership has taken care of this for you! Should you have any future questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Sincerely,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am extremely disappointed in Chevrolet. Last Sunday as I came to a stop in my 2014 LT 1.4T after 40mi of highway driving, I noticed a burning smell coming through the vents. Figured it was the exhaust in the car in front of me at a stoplight, as I had the vent open. When I woke up Monday I drove a few min away on an errand, and after heating up a bit, smoke started coming out both the front hood and through the inside vents. Looking in the engine compartment, I see a pool of oil on the bottom of the engine where there's a lip/bolt, the engine extremely low on oil, and think oh great. Then I remember it is still under warranty, 53k mi. Call the nearest dealership, Mike Anderson Chevrolet in Chicago, and arrange roadside to tow it in for service under the 5/100k powertrain. Turns out ... it was just this oil feed line between the turbo and engine, and they would NOT cover it under warranty. Here I am with a car that now had been towed (because it could not be driven due to the low oil) and was stuck at the dealership, I had no choice but to have it done. They did change the oil too, but the total bill was $426. That's ridiculous! Especially considering this appears to be a known problem ... the replacement part has heat shielding on it! The service manager says 'these go all the time around 50k'! All the recalls, ok I can deal with those, but I feel that this is poor business practice on GMs part to not acknowledge and repair under warranty.

As another kick in the teeth, the oil was dripping/spraying all over the engine compartment. They said they would 'do their best' to clean it, but only cleaned up the visible oil. Running the vent now on recirculate when idling passes through a burning smell, and with the vent open it is absolutely terrible (still is after 240 mi combined highway and downtown city driving). I know there's some place they did not clean. Can anyone tell me what part(s) these are that I have circled? That is where the oil was leaking on to. Going to have to clean them myself with degreaser, and probably replace the cabin air filter now too.

Btw, really wish I had checked here first. I visited the forums all the time when I first bought my car in August 2013. Wealth of knowledge here.

cruze leak.PNG

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am extremely disappointed in Chevrolet. Last Sunday as I came to a stop in my 2014 LT 1.4T after 40mi of highway driving, I noticed a burning smell coming through the vents. Figured it was the exhaust in the car in front of me at a stoplight, as I had the vent open. When I woke up Monday I drove a few min away on an errand, and after heating up a bit, smoke started coming out both the front hood and through the inside vents. Looking in the engine compartment, I see a pool of oil on the bottom of the engine where there's a lip/bolt, the engine extremely low on oil, and think oh great. Then I remember it is still under warranty, 53k mi. Call the nearest dealership, Mike Anderson Chevrolet in Chicago, and arrange roadside to tow it in for service under the 5/100k powertrain. Turns out ... it was just this oil feed line between the turbo and engine, and they would NOT cover it under warranty. Here I am with a car that now had been towed (because it could not be driven due to the low oil) and was stuck at the dealership, I had no choice but to have it done. They did change the oil too, but the total bill was $426. That's ridiculous! Especially considering this appears to be a known problem ... the replacement part has heat shielding on it! The service manager says 'these go all the time around 50k'! All the recalls, ok I can deal with those, but I feel that this is poor business practice on GMs part to not acknowledge and repair under warranty.

As another kick in the teeth, the oil was dripping/spraying all over the engine compartment. They said they would 'do their best' to clean it, but only cleaned up the visible oil. Running the vent now on recirculate when idling passes through a burning smell, and with the vent open it is absolutely terrible (still is after 240 mi combined highway and downtown city driving). I know there's some place they did not clean. Can anyone tell me what part(s) these are that I have circled? That is where the oil was leaking on to. Going to have to clean them myself with degreaser, and probably replace the cabin air filter now too.

Btw, really wish I had checked here first. I visited the forums all the time when I first bought my car in August 2013. Wealth of knowledge here.

View attachment 216930
That, friend, is your catalytic converter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
That, friend, is your catalytic converter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Thanks, I dont know why I couldn't find that in any diagrams. I'm handy with computers, not so much cars. Got so pissed after this never went back to really look at it beyond this pic.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Interesting. I don't it's the line itself - that's metal. I think it's the o-ring that goes. The way I read the powertrain warranty, oil seals are covered.

·
Administrator
15,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
To be frank, that line didn't just explode out of nowhere. That was a leak that had developed over time and got worse and worse. You should have been checking your oil level periodically and you would have seen the drop and would have taken it into the dealer and at least avoided the cost of the tow.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts