GM 1.4L Turbo Intake Manifold PCV Valve Fix Kits
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: GM 1.4L Turbo Intake Manifold PCV Valve Fix Kits

Administrator

Overview
    These fix kits apply to the following vehicles with the GM 1.4L Turbo LUJ/LUV/A14NET engine:
    2011-2016 Limited 1.4L Cruze
    2011-2018 Chevy Sonic/Aveo
    2015+ Chevy Trax
    2015+ Buick Encore
    2011+ Opel/Vauxhall Corsa (Turbo only)
    2009+ Opel/Vauxhall Astra J (Turbo only)
    2010+ Opel/Vauxhall Meriva B
    2011+ Opel/Vauxhall Zafira Tourer

SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST FOR INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

The 1.4L Turbo engine (LUJ/LUV) in the Chevy Cruze/Sonic/Trax and Buick Encore has a check valve in the intake manifold that has a 100% failure rate. Out of warranty, it can cost as much as $350 to replace. There is no redesigned part for this (at the time of this post's writing), and new intake manifolds are still failing regularly after about 30,000-60,000 miles. The Dorman intake reportedly has the same flawed design. This thread presents two fix options that can be implemented for between $85 (V2) and $130 (V1), which is cheaper than all other aftermarket options.

DISCLAIMER: This solution has received validation testing and is currently considered reliable. To ensure a proper install, MAKE SURE YOU READ AND UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING IN THIS POST. Neither myself nor CruzeTalk.com accept any liability for what happens during or after the installation of this kit.

As of 03/18/19, I have shipped 1,300 PCV Check Valve Fix Kits to GM 1.4L Turbo owners in the USA, Canada, Australia, Italy, Finland, Germany, New Zealand, the UK, Romania, and Spain. Owners have up to 40,000 problem-free miles on their kits.

Read the first post on the following thread, which explains how our PCV system works and will help you understand the solution better:
    https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-g...explained.html

The basic principle is simple. You have two chambers; the intake downstream of the throttle body, and the PCV chamber. You need to allow gas to freely flow from the PCV chamber into the intake chamber when the engine is under vacuum (not producing boost), but block that flow of gas when the engine is producing boost. You need to be able to do this while sustaining pressures of 15-30psi (stock/tuned vehicles). The OEM intake manifold check valve serves this function decently well, while it works, but the check valve stops sealing well after a few thousand miles, producing an audible boost leak, and eventually disappears altogether. This solution offers you the opportunity to cleanly retrofit a durable, leak-free external check valve that can be serviced easily and replaced for $15-$25 should the check valve itself ever fail.

Benefits to this fix kit are:
    - Eliminates boost leak caused by aged, worn, or clogged OEM check valve
    - Solves boost leak, loss of power, poor fuel economy, and oil consumption caused by missing OEM check valve
    - The new external check valve is easily accessible for cleaning, and can be replaced for $10-$20
    - Stops oil consumption caused by missing check valve. Oil consumption will cause carbon build up on the piston crown and ring lands, which can cause detonation and piston damage.
    - Much longer lasting than the OEM check valve due to more robust design.

This design is patent pending.

V1 vs V2 Kits
    I have two kits available for fixing this PCV system. Both of these kits have been thoroughly road tested. I'm currently using the V2 kit on my own car. The principle behind them is the same, but the execution differs. I will outline the differences here:

V1 Kit: This is the original PCV fix kit. This kit routes the PCV gas through a check valve into a BNR throttle body spacer. Because this kit requires a throttle body spacer, it is more expensive to use if you don't already have the spacer. However, those who already have a BNR throttle body spacer, or want one for other purposes will find the V1 kit cheaper by $10. One benefit to this kit is that the check valve can be removed for inspection or cleaning by disconnecting the throttle body spacer, which doesn't require intake manifold removal.

V2 Kit: I designed the V2 kit to reduce the cost of this fix. Instead of returning the PCV gas to a BNR throttle body spacer like the V1 kit does, this kit uses a special brake booster tee connector on the intake manifold itself. While the adapter and some components add to the cost of the kit itself, the V2 kit saves you $45 as you no longer need to buy a separate BNR throttle body spacer. The only drawback is that the check valve cannot be easily removed for inspection without pulling the intake manifold itself. However, the check valve is extremely robust and over-built for this application, so service shouldn't be needed for well over 50,000 miles, if ever. The V2 kit is also easier and quicker to install and does not require the inch-pound torque wrench you need to get the throttle body spacer and throttle body back on.

Purchase Details

Orders are now handled on my website: http://www.cruzekits.com/

Note: The CruzeKits.com site is new so it may not load the first time you go to the site; if the link doesn't work, hit it a second time and it should show up.

----------------------------------------

Alternate Order Options
    Please contact me for multiple-order discounts if you need to purchase more than one kit at a time, if you need a re-install kit, or if you need any replacement parts. I can also ship overnight via UPS if needed.

Installation Instructions
    V1 Fix Kit Instructions: https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/129-...ml#post3138522

V2 Fix Kit Instructions: https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/129-...2-install.html
    Last edited by XtremeRevolution; 03-28-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    Order PCV Fix Kits, Leak Test Kits, & Big 3 Kits at: Hidden Content
    Link::Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

FYI:
    Clicked on the link for the Bonomi Check Valve and got a link is not valid error message.

Great idea and great write up.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jsusanka View Post
    FYI:
    Clicked on the link for the Bonomi Check Valve and got a link is not valid error message.

Great idea and great write up.
    I have a request out to AG for that issue. Right-click the thread and copy the link, and go to it manually and you'll be able to get to it.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

BOOOOST!
    Great post, as this alternative is serviceable if issues arise without future intake removal.

I just wanted to mention that Rockauto has the full intake for $270 before their traditional 5% off. Granted the part might fail again, but you'll have to evaluate the current cost of a new GM intake, vs. modifications.

Also playing into this decision is the age of the car, and how long you plan on keeping it.
    XtremeRevolution and Merc6 like this.
    2012 Cruze LT, 1.4L, AT 78,000 Miles as of 1/19
    Looking for EV for next car.. Bolt or maybe Model 3 if Chevy doesn't speed up their EV's to the marketplace!

Previous Rides
    2002 Intrigue 3.5L,LX5, AT 135,000- Owned for 10 years.. PM for Intrigue help. P1811 also a problem with this car.
    2000 Intrigue 3.5L, LX5, AT, 89,000- Owned for 12 years.. Dreaded P1811 killed this transmission.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by carbon02 View Post
    Great post, as this alternative is serviceable if issues arise without future intake removal.

I just wanted to mention that Rockauto has the full intake for $270 before their traditional 5% off. Granted the part might fail again, but you'll have to evaluate the current cost of a new GM intake, vs. modifications.

Also playing into this decision is the age of the car, and how long you plan on keeping it.
    That about cancels out the shipping, and the manifold is still ~$270, which is about double what this fix costs, and that manifold is guaranteed to fail again. Not that the price is going to make that much of a difference; $270 is still a lot of money.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Group B Rally Champion

While a number of them have failed, has anyone kept tabs on the years that failed? I'm wondering if this is something GM fixed in later years.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Administrator

I've seen them fail various years and I've seen replacements fail, so they definitely didn't address the issue.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Handbrake Released
    Quick off-topic question: what would the TB spacer be used for if not in this application? I'm familiar with the use of reed cage spacers on two-strokes and their purpose, wondering if this serves the same purpose?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by cyclewild View Post
    Quick off-topic question: what would the TB spacer be used for if not in this application? I'm familiar with the use of reed cage spacers on two-strokes and their purpose, wondering if this serves the same purpose?
    Nitrous or meth injection.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Administrator

Someone also reported they saw a 3-4hp gain from just installing the spacer. Not sure how much truth there is to that though.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)